Weekend Feild Annuals

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SmartWrenchMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Weekend Feild Annuals

Post by SmartWrenchMonkey »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:32 pm
Pat Richard wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:39 am
SeptRepair wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:10 am Been an engineer for over 30 yrs now. I remember being enthusiastic like yourself many moons ago. I worked in a shop pumping out annuals like a puppy mill. Learned on my own with out guidance. Annuals were expected to be done in 8hrs start to finish from initial run up to post run up cowls on. Excuse by management being "they only flew 4hrs last year. nothing to look at it." This mind set although wrong was the norm. The customers came to expect an annual's cost. Trying to break out on my own and give them value and preform the work as expected, would mean i would have to double their annual cost if not triple as the parts that require replacement would also need to be attended to. Also I knew the shop owner i currently worked for would fire my ass, rightfully so.
Fast forward and after a few year of wrenching i jumped to structures and moved to another city. Now i could do annuals on the weekends and not have a conflict with current employer! Perfect right? HA! Start out doing the annuals in their hanger, no heat, no lights, no supplies. So i try and purchase and be prepared for every possible scenario, show up at 8 am Saturday morning, work till 5, come back the next day at now 7 and finish it all off hopefully by 5 that night. (Family has been ignored all weekend as they were off enjoying the lake and having fun.) While working those 2 days im wishing i had my own spark plug tester( among many other things), i know i need to test after gapping, but a friend who has one is a 20 min drive one way, Well i work that into my day. Cant charge the customer for me not being prepared can I? Nope eat 45 mins. Working away, now comes the local weekend warrior pilot seeing a new face wants to come talk airplane.. Oh joy. So give the courtesy to talk and bam another half hour goes by. Figure might be a potential new customer right, nope never is. So cant charge my customer, so eat another half. Some days more than just one local pilot wants to talk. Their hobby of airplanes is not mine.
So now comes time to bill. Eaten some of the hours of my day and charge the Customer straight billable hours. Have worked the whole weekend and can maybe bill 80% of the time worked. I have supplied oil and by the time i paid freight the price per liter is above the list price on Aircraft Spruce! The go to for every pilot/owner who want to ensure the are treated fairly on the pricing! The bitching and the moaning on the cost of parts and consumables, as if its me who sets them just gets on your nerves after a while. Im not your therapist. The hours spent at home researching the best possible price is not worth it, even with a meager 10% mark up. I have told the customer they need to get the part, guess what? They have no manuals and have no idea what they need, so you need to do the research anyways, spoon feed them what they need to buy, and then still have them ask you to order it in anyways as they dont want to set up an account with the vendor. But they now know what the vendor charges and they expect the same price. ( little hint most vendors dont give discounts to weekend annual performers, we dont have the volume of sales)
Now lets talk about the customer who wants to "help"! Sure ok, I get it, you want to "learn" and keep your cost down. Sigh. So now I'm baby sitting you, giving you tasks like taking off inspection panels, removing seats, cowls etc. I get you to take off every panel on the wing, some of them are not inspection panels but access panels from then the wing was assembled in a jig, but meh, keeps you busy and make you feel productive all the while keeping you our of my hair so i can focus and get the rest of the annual done. My time is valuable you see, I have a weekend off and its here working on your machine. I want to get it done as efficiently as possible. No you cant use that robertson Pk screw that works just as well as the phillips head one to put back on the panel, No i dont want to explain to you why. @#$! me. Now your struggling with the seats coming off on your cessna. I need to stop show you how to crank the seat up high and move it all the way forward blah blah blah. Your helping me has slowed me down and turning this annual into something way longer than it needs to be. Now i have found a concern of something that needs to be addressed. Cant be done this weekend as we need parts, Owner with big crocodile tears now wants to know how much it will cost? and the preverbal "does it have to be changed? Can i run it a little longer?" whaa whaa whaa. now i ha. ve to explain your a grown man, you can do whatever you like. I have told you what is wrong, you can ignore the problem and hope it fixes itself, like hoses that are 50yrs old have been known to do( insert eye roll). I will just write it in the log book as a known hidden defect and you can decide to fix it whenever. Now I'm the asshole. I have devalued their airplane as i have made it less marketable as they wanted to sell it soon. You cant fucking win in this game. It is thankless and the unicorns of good pilot/owners like Pilotdar or Photofly are just that unicorns. The real world of guys who dont visit this forum are plentiful.
I havent even touched on the cost of having your own hanger and the overhead to keep it going. I make more money renting my hanger out for boat storage and motorcycle storage than i do for aircraft storage. Planes take up a lot of floor space. No one wants to pay 500/month to store their aircraft, but 2 boats and 8 motorcycles pay very well. In the spring/summer they are gone, and i have the shop to myself. They pay a retainer to have that space available come fall again.
I am down to only 2 aircraft i maintain on the side now. My weekends are valuable. I have the customers i now want. I have fired all the rest. There is not enough money in the world to make me want to work on their aircraft. Ya im old and crusty, bitter etc. But this is the realistic life of a guy trying to annuals on the side for extra cash, because their full time gig doesnt pay enough.
I agree 1000% with this and experienced almost all of it personally.

The reason I think the OP has a chance is his strong aerosexuality, zero personal life or interest in having one, a raving desperation to please pilot owners, and working at a "great company" that pays poorly enough that he delivers pizza on his time off.

I never had that sort of ambition or motivation. :rolleyes:

I really thought the whole being a hero thing was finally history.

Enjoy sleeping in your truck. It will be a good prepper for when you're living in it.

COOL!
Lol never underestimate the power of aerosexuals And their lack of personal life. Incels like that are why there’s no way to make a livable wage in Canada anymore 🤣
I didn't know what an incel was, so I asked my wife. She didn't know what it was either so we asked our kid. He didn't know either and wanted to go play so we googled it.

That's probably not whats making it hard for you to make a livable wage.
---------- ADS -----------

SmartWrenchMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pat Richard wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 pm I know, right?

He's on about "everybody has a side gig.." That's the vindication to continue getting arse phukked.

His attitude is the reason why this business will always be shit. the owners know there is always some sad sack enthusiast out there that will be happy with the company fist up thier ass, getting worked like a hand puppet.

I don't know of any other industry with this kind of bullshit, only aviation. Proud losers.
You're exactly right, I'm the guy. Next time you think about why aviation is a shit business, you remember... It's because of me. I did it.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SmartWrenchMonkey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm
Pat Richard wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:39 am

I agree 1000% with this and experienced almost all of it personally.

The reason I think the OP has a chance is his strong aerosexuality, zero personal life or interest in having one, a raving desperation to please pilot owners, and working at a "great company" that pays poorly enough that he delivers pizza on his time off.

I never had that sort of ambition or motivation. :rolleyes:

I really thought the whole being a hero thing was finally history.

Enjoy sleeping in your truck. It will be a good prepper for when you're living in it.

COOL!
Lol never underestimate the power of aerosexuals And their lack of personal life. Incels like that are why there’s no way to make a livable wage in Canada anymore 🤣
I didn't know what an incel was, so I asked my wife. She didn't know what it was either so we asked our kid. He didn't know either and wanted to go play so we googled it.

Choosing to work at a wage prompting the need to have a side gig to carry on in this business is the problem. I call them incel’s because they work so much for so little they have no time for sex.
To this degree I am correct, however I should have taken it a step further. Replace and or combine the word “Incel” with “cuckold”. Not only by said aerosexual behaviour aforementioned are these bottom feeders that work for dogsh1t just to say they’re in it ruining it for anyone else that want good pay, they’re watching their rates F$&K EVERYONE ELSE out of good pay. Aerocuckcel perhaps? What a joke, the work I do in Canada I maintain my international rates, I have my customers that sometimes wince at the bill, but they do come back because I do good work, use quality in everything I do, and above all else I’m fair. We all have a choice, I took a different path, anytime I find myself in a small airfield and see these poor souls that choose the working for nothing route I just shake my head.

SmartWrenchMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:04 am
SmartWrenchMonkey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm

Choosing to work at a wage prompting the need to have a side gig to carry on in this business is the problem. I call them incel’s because they work so much for so little they have no time for sex.
To this degree I am correct, however I should have taken it a step further. Replace and or combine the word “Incel” with “cuckold”. Not only by said aerosexual behaviour aforementioned are these bottom feeders that work for dogsh1t just to say they’re in it ruining it for anyone else that want good pay, they’re watching their rates F$&K EVERYONE ELSE out of good pay. Aerocuckcel perhaps? What a joke, the work I do in Canada I maintain my international rates, I have my customers that sometimes wince at the bill, but they do come back because I do good work, use quality in everything I do, and above all else I’m fair. We all have a choice, I took a different path, anytime I find myself in a small airfield and see these poor souls that choose the working for nothing route I just shake my head.
Bud, shaking your head doesnt seem to be accomplishing anything... could you shake it harder? Maybe dance a bit?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SmartWrenchMonkey wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:15 pm
Different strokes for different folks. I'll be honest here, it sounded negative until he got to the owning a hangar part, after that I forgot the negative stuff. I own debt, and not the useful debt. I'll work harder than the next guy because my weekend are not valuable and I'm just happy to not be delivering pizza anymore. It was embarrassing the few times I delivered to aircraft owners who bring their aircraft to the shop.
[/quote]

This right here is the saddest thing I’ve read in a very long time, and yes I’ve witnessed this behaviour, it’s really sad and yes I’ll shake my head when I’m witness to it. Why would anyone do this to themselves?

SmartWrenchMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:44 pm
Different strokes for different folks. I'll be honest here, it sounded negative until he got to the owning a hangar part, after that I forgot the negative stuff. I own debt, and not the useful debt. I'll work harder than the next guy because my weekend are not valuable and I'm just happy to not be delivering pizza anymore. It was embarrassing the few times I delivered to aircraft owners who bring their aircraft to the shop.
This right here is the saddest thing I’ve read in a very long time, and yes I’ve witnessed this behaviour, it’s really sad and yes I’ll shake my head when I’m witness to it. Why would anyone do this to themselves?
[/quote]

Money.

I'm not sure what else you want here. You're sad and I'm sorry for that but I can't help you with your feelings, I'm just a monkey. There are people out there if you need to talk about it.

1-800-784-2433 Crisis Center BC

Give them a call anytime, I'm sure they would be better able to help you than I am.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SmartWrenchMonkey wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:57 pm
Money.

I'm not sure what else you want here. You're sad and I'm sorry for that but I can't help you with your feelings, I'm just a monkey. There are people out there if you need to talk about it.

Give them a call anytime, I'm sure they would be better able to help you than I am.
[/quote]

Being thankful you make just enough as an AME that you don’t have to moonlight delivering pizza is really sad man.

SmartWrenchMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:29 pm
SmartWrenchMonkey wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Money.

Being thankful you make just enough as an AME that you don’t have to moonlight delivering pizza is really sad man.
[/quote]

Yes, I think at this point we all get the general theme you are going for here. No need to elaborate further, you would only be repeating yourself.

If your thinking to yourself "hmm I wonder if smartwrenchmonkey knows how sad I am for him" trust me, I have absorbed that knowledge at this point. I am well aware of the subject matter you are trying to convey and I really feel we have covered it, in its entirety, completely and from every conceivable angle. I think I speak for all of us when I say, truly the world will never be the same. You bug stomper, you are the hero we have been waiting for.

Now a hero's job is never finished but you are needed elsewhere. Go, into the interweb and find those who need you, now more than ever before. Literally, find anyone other than me to talk to about your feelings.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

So are you up and running in your van?

SmartWrenchMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:45 pm So are you up and running in your van?
No running in the van, company policy. :lol:

But yeah things are going well.

Living the Dream. :roll:

Return to “Maintenance”