Who’s doing what?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Who’s doing what?

Post by PitchLink »

Things are really slow out there for fixing and flying, due to the pandemic. Things don’t look promising for the foreseeable future for decent domestic work. I’m just curious what Canadian AMES are doing during this recession? Anyone working in the USA? I have been, L1 visa closing in on 1 year remaining.
I don’t know how much more is left after it’s up as it’s been pretty hit and miss with the new government in south of the border. Just seeing what the community is doing wether it be International work or if people are retraining into more stable careers? Would love to see what it’s like for everyone else in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Who’s doing what?

Post by Heliian »

I don't know where you're at but the listings for jobs here never ends and I know ZERO unemployed engineers. I haven't met an unemployed engineer in over a decade and am always asked if I know anyone who's looking for work. There is a serious shortage out there and it'll only get worse once the airlines pick back up.

http://avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=7

Even the verticalmag forums have a few jobs on there.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Heliian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:38 am I don't know where you're at but the listings for jobs here never ends and I know ZERO unemployed engineers. I haven't met an unemployed engineer in over a decade and am always asked if I know anyone who's looking for work. There is a serious shortage out there and it'll only get worse once the airlines pick back up.

I agree, I’ve seen those ads as well, and I’m steady for another year with work in the states. I’m sure it’ll continue just being inquisitive in case it stops. Can’t say any of the ads are very appealing to myself or anyone else I know with a gig like mine or my experience, gotta make some cake. I guess I know a different line of AMEs and pilots, there are several out of work from fixing and flying helicopters and airplanes but doing other lines of work. I know a few ames that opted out of the industry and took more stable lines of work with better pay, schedule and benefits and doing the seasonal forestry garbage just to keep current. I can’t say I know any that want to work on or fly aircraft at reduced rates just to do it, guess I’m getting old.
I’m just curious if others are doing what I’m doing (working outside of Canada) on rotation or moved to another country altogether, I personally know a few. Let’s be honest, Airlines aren’t going to pick back up for years in Canada, certainly not to the capacity prior to COVID-19 especially with current governance. Helicopter fixing and flying IN Canada is not what it was and has been strained for years. There’s always work, and usually job ads.... well ....I avoid, they’re vacant for a reason. 99% of the jobs I’ve had in my career in rotary are word of mouth, everyone knows that in this small community. I’m asking about desirable work I guess, not just a seat sticks and pedals or working in the arse of nowhere canadadian winter out of a trailer work, and fires suck but always an option to go out and make some extra coin, but that’s always a gamble. Anyways just seeing what people are doing so I asked the question :?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:38 am I don't know where you're at but the listings for jobs here never ends and I know ZERO unemployed engineers. I haven't met an unemployed engineer in over a decade and am always asked if I know anyone who's looking for work. There is a serious shortage out there and it'll only get worse once the airlines pick back up.

Looks more like volunteering than remunerative work :lol:

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Well, you can sit at home on the government dole or you can go and get a job that pays something. Sorry there's not any $120000/year entry level jobs for you. People crying that 45$/hr is too low, go retrain and see how quickly you get back to $45/hr.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:43 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Well, you can sit at home on the government dole or you can go and get a job that pays something. Sorry there's not any $120000/year entry level jobs for you. People crying that 45$/hr is too low, go retrain and see how quickly you get back to $45/hr.
I’m employed, thanks for your input. Those listings are a far cry from $45/hr. The point is the wages have retracted drastically.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 pm Things are really slow out there for fixing and flying, due to the pandemic. Things don’t look promising for the foreseeable future for decent domestic work. I’m just curious what Canadian AMES are doing during this recession? Anyone working in the USA? I have been, L1 visa closing in on 1 year remaining.
I don’t know how much more is left after it’s up as it’s been pretty hit and miss with the new government in south of the border. Just seeing what the community is doing wether it be International work or if people are retraining into more stable careers? Would love to see what it’s like for everyone else in Canada.
I’m still working in the USA, same deal tho real pain getting in and out but I’m fully vaccinated now. You still working?

Return to “Maintenance”