Source for plastic Cessna panel overlays

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Source for plastic Cessna panel overlays

Post by Chris M »

The old Royalite overlays in our 172M are doing what most of that vintage are and gradually turning to dust. Plane Plastics sells replacements for the LH and switch panels but I haven't been able to find anything for the RH panel.

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane/cessn ... ation.html

If anyone's replaced a RH 172M panel recently and can share where they got the part I'd love to hear about it. Ours is a 1974 variety with the fuel and oil gauges on the right side.

A nice aluminum replacement would obviously be the best but we're a small club and don't keep much on hand beyond major repair costs. Alternatively I can buy a plastic repair kit and start rebuilding the RH panel but I worry that it will just start cracking up somewhere else. Or I can try to hunt down some Royalite stock and make my own.
---------- ADS -----------

hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Source for plastic Cessna panel overlays

Post by hangarline »

Try the next serial # range in Plane Plastics catalogue. The 172 "M" runs several years. The panel cover is sort of generic, you will have to cut out areas particular to what is installed on your instrument panel and/or the means for attaching it. Some covers will have standoffs that you attach velcro to and some have plastic posts (look like golf tees) that fit into grommets. If you have the latter, carefully cut of the old mounting posts as they will have to be glued(we used JB Weld) onto your new cover. This takes a bit of fitting, using your old cover as a template, but is doable.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Source for plastic Cessna panel overlays

Post by Chris M »

Perfect, thanks. The next serial range has the part available and it looks to be the exact same as what I have.

Return to “Maintenance”