Apprenticeship and outcome

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

zulu king
Rank 0
Rank 0

Apprenticeship and outcome

Post by zulu king »

Greetings fellow technicians,

I'm a future graduate, an AME to be. I'd like to know the best course of action to carve out the career that I want. My desire is to work rotations, 2 months on, then two months off ideally. I want to work somewhere where the weather is also nice, next to the sea preferably. I'm open to work anywhere in Canada to gain the experience needed to pretend to a position like that. What plane endorsements should I seek? Are there any companies out there that take great care of theirapprentices while at the same time filling my criteria. I don't care about salary at this point only knowledge and proficiency.

Thanks in advance !!
---------- ADS -----------

AME92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Apprenticeship and outcome

Post by AME92 »

Not to sound gloomy, but with the current state of the airline industry apply and take anything you can get at this point. Most big airlines have a good chunk of their AME's, Furnishing Tech's and Apprentices still furloughed so your better option are with smaller operators or large MRO's. KF Aerospace in YHM or YLW might be a good place to check out.

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

Helicopter companies and companies in the north, (Yukon and NWT) are more likely to give you the rotations you're looking for. And they're hiring.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

zulu king wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:50 am Greetings fellow technicians,

I'm a future graduate, an AME to be. I'd like to know the best course of action to carve out the career that I want. My desire is to work rotations, 2 months on, then two months off ideally. I want to work somewhere where the weather is also nice, next to the sea preferably. I'm open to work anywhere in Canada to gain the experience needed to pretend to a position like that. What plane endorsements should I seek? Are there any companies out there that take great care of theirapprentices while at the same time filling my criteria. I don't care about salary at this point only knowledge and proficiency.

Thanks in advance !!
As an apprentice you’re likely not going to get any rotation. In rotary and smaller fixed wing that just doesn’t happen and that’s where you’re likely to land at first, mostly in larger fixed wing which is most affected by COVID19. The industry is very strained still and not a high demand but smaller rotary and fixed wing company’s are hiring. You’ll likely be most successful working at FTU’s right now which are all busy surprisingly. Stay away from any tourism companies don’t waste your time, it’s another industry that’s way down from this pandemic.
Don’t pay for your own type endorsement no matter what, make the employer pay, anywhere telling you to do one and they pay you back or for a future endorsement I’d be wary of. That’s something some larger operators have done in the past ten years, and it sets a very bad precedent, raises the bar for everyone else and usually ends with the apprentice or new AME out of pocket. It’s essentially the employer pulling a fast one. If there’s a training bond that is fair but get a lawyer to review it first, you can expect a 12-24 month bond. 24 months is a bit much if the course isn’t more than 30k. I’ve never paid for an endorsement and never will, I worked hard to get them. Hope this helps and good luck!

zulu king
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zulu king »

Heu!

Found an employer I'm getting paid along these lines . But no insurance, no overtime when I work off base éventuelle though I did 70 hours work weeks hanging loads and doing maintenance. Is it still standard to not pay overtime?

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

In the '80s we only got concerned when the paycheck was late .. or it bounced ...
my my .. how things have changed !

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

zulu king wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:38 am Heu!

Found an employer I'm getting paid along these lines . But no insurance, no overtime when I work off base éventuelle though I did 70 hours work weeks hanging loads and doing maintenance. Is it still standard to not pay overtime?
It’s F’n illegal!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

It’s F’n illegal!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Probably an hours of averaging arrangement. Best thing to do is take your contract to an employment lawyer

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

edmanster wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:21 am In the '80s we only got concerned when the paycheck was late .. or it bounced ...
my my .. how things have changed !
The world is much more complex these days, I can’t say it’s for the better either

Return to “Maintenance”