Hard on apprentice

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

polybest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hard on apprentice

Post by polybest »

Hello guys,

I have been working in the industrial for M1 aircraft for almost 5 years. With my M1 logbook signed 130+ tasks, somehow, TC officials still think that I am only under 50% completion.
I am really frustrated by the situation that many of the tasks in the logbook my company wont even do. I majorly worked on PA-12 and Cessna 185, 206 on floats. And yet, the official guy reviewed it still insist that it is fair for me to complete nearly every chapter by 70% to pass.
Tried many times to argue, all i get back was it is fair it is fair, go get more sign offs.

Has anyone has similar experiences?
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Hard on apprentice

Post by YYCAME »

At my company the apprentices have submitted company letters that state the scope of their work and specifically state which chapters the apprentices will not be able to accomplish. Documenting all communication is also important if you think you might need to appeal a decision in the future.

jubin123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jubin123 »

YYCAME wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am At my company the apprentices have submitted company letters that state the scope of their work and specifically state which chapters the apprentices will not be able to accomplish. Documenting all communication is also important if you think you might need to appeal a decision in the future.
So its like a claim and implication that those apprentices wont get enough credit from here and those guys without license would better job hop to another competent company.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

[/quote]

So its like a claim and implication that those apprentices wont get enough credit from here and those guys without license would better job hop to another competent company.
[/quote]

I think it is probably hard to find an employer that can provide you with all the sign offs required so there was always a bit of leniency on the part of TC in the past. For example, if you only worked on a type that didn't have certain systems should you really have to switch jobs just to get licensed? Maybe everyone should be required to work on helicopters, fixed wing, turbine, piston, and balloons but it isn't that practical for TC to punish companies and their employees for operating in a more specialized environment. A wider and more updated list of possible tasks to show competency would go a long ways though to make the process easier in my opinion. I was given my M1 even though I never touched pistons, I don't know if that is right or wrong, but I had enough signatures in other chapters to make up for it I guess.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

No, simply put I think you’re not documenting things that your guy at tc is used to. First off, your fleet and the experience and tasks you need signed off are 70 percent of those applicable chapters and 70 percent of each section in the chapter minimum.
Secondly you need to verify what isn’t in your fleet you have access to. What I tell my guys is to put post-it notes on the tasks that aren’t applicable, been handling apprentices a while it does help. Thirdly you need a letter of recommendation from your employer “your DOM/PRM. If he’s a good prm he will sit with the candidate to go over the fleet with the apprentice and make sure it’s as full and accurate as

drone_driver24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by drone_driver24 »

polybest wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:34 pm Hello guys,

I have been working in the industrial for M1 aircraft for almost 5 years. With my M1 logbook signed 130+ tasks, somehow, TC officials still think that I am only under 50% completion.
I am really frustrated by the situation that many of the tasks in the logbook my company wont even do. I majorly worked on PA-12 and Cessna 185, 206 on floats. And yet, the official guy reviewed it still insist that it is fair for me to complete nearly every chapter by 70% to pass.
Tried many times to argue, all i get back was it is fair it is fair, go get more sign offs.

Has anyone has similar experiences?
They aren't "picking on you". It's TC''s job to make sure the required tasks are completed. If you have to follow an avionics person around, so be it. We had lots of apprentices get their log books sent back for more signatures. Ask them specifically what needs to be signed for.

Good luck.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:05 am What I tell my guys is to put post-it notes on the tasks that aren’t applicable, been handling apprentices a while it does help.
I did this on both my M1 and M2 book. Very helpful.

There's also https://www.amelogbook.ca/ that is pretty handy for keeping track of completion.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

all_ramped_up wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:11 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:05 am What I tell my guys is to put post-it notes on the tasks that aren’t applicable, been handling apprentices a while it does help.
I did this on both my M1 and M2 book. Very helpful.

There's also https://www.amelogbook.ca/ that is pretty handy for keeping track of completion.
+1 for the post it’s

Return to “Maintenance”