AME recommendation for a pre-buy at CYOO

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

AME recommendation for a pre-buy at CYOO

Post by gotak »

Need some recommendations.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: AME recommendation for a pre-buy at CYOO

Post by PilotDAR »

Ask Mo, at Corporate Aircraft Restorations...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

+1

Everyone loves Mo.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gotak »

Cool thanks. I'll give him a ping.

gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gotak »

Dave answered. They have no time to do anything for me.

The response about the AC Which they are aware of wasn't exactly positive either. He says the asking is too high and just make the guy an offer.

Is that code for run don't walk away?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Is that code for run don't walk away?
'Sounds to me like good free advice, to assure that the PPI you might choose to do is really thorough, and will be worth what you pay for it! No airplane is perfect, what can you live with?

gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gotak »

If the price is low enough post negotiation, and with the right condition of it being usable for the immediate term this could turn into a longer term project to bring it back into great shape.

All depends on the reaction of the family to it. If wife doesn't wants to fly in a little plane then this could become a long term ownership thing for putting around the area, flights on my own, and maybe eventually for the kids to learn in. Otherwise at some point I'll move to bigger and 4 seats.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

gotak wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:51 pm If the price is low enough post negotiation, and with the right condition of it being usable for the immediate term this could turn into a longer term project to bring it back into great shape.
That sounds like a $30k project to me, bare minimum.
gotak wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:51 pm All depends on the reaction of the family to it. If wife doesn't wants to fly in a little plane then this could become a long term ownership thing for putting around the area, flights on my own, and maybe eventually for the kids to learn in. Otherwise at some point I'll move to bigger and 4 seats.
Sounds to me like you should speak to your family about it first, and figure out what the budget is. But then again... never let you wife talk you out of buying an airplane.

I mean this in the best way possible, but it sounds to me like you haven't quite fully weighed all the pros and cons yet. I'd give it some more time. And right now probably isn't the best time to buy a small plane (I assume you're talking about a light single piston).

I've never owned an airplane though - so do feel free to ignore everything I just said.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gotak »

I am not deciding on this immediately. It's a process.

Wife's ok with it budget is not fixed. The real issue is what she's willing to get into and she can't say until she has tried it. Maybe that's what i should do first, put her on one and see if she's willing to fly in one.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

gotak wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:42 pm Wife's ok with it budget is not fixed. The real issue is what she's willing to get into and she can't say until she has tried it. Maybe that's what i should do first, put her on one and see if she's willing to fly in one.
Try putting her in a Tiger Moth, sheepskin cap and goggles and all 8)

If that doesn't spark a desire to fly, nothing will. Or try an intro flight at a local soaring club.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gotak »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:47 pm
gotak wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:42 pm Wife's ok with it budget is not fixed. The real issue is what she's willing to get into and she can't say until she has tried it. Maybe that's what i should do first, put her on one and see if she's willing to fly in one.
Try putting her in a Tiger Moth, sheepskin cap and goggles and all 8)

If that doesn't spark a desire to fly, nothing will. Or try an intro flight at a local soaring club.
We'll have to see. This is the woman who has dropped both our daughters cause she felt the kid slipping off her lap, and instead of grabbing the kid covered her head and screamed. Sigh. This was more then once so you have to understand her tolerance of "fear" is low.

She has also been afraid in my old stick shift cause it was loud in first gear, going 40 with my foot off the gas.

Hence a reality that the most likely passengers are my daughters who both are made of tougher stuff.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

It sounds that Gotak has some "mission requirement" determinations to refine, before actually getting to the point of confirming the correct airplane type. Both are important steps in buying an airplane, but the mission requirement really should be the earliest one! Sellers would be delighted to have PPI inspections done for them, at a potential buyer's expense - a buyer would really like to keep then number of those inspections to one - the one they then buy.

Take my advice, it'll end in disagreement to try to coerce souses and kids into being passengers. Sure, if they want to, that's wonderful. If they learn to like it, even better. If they're afraid, and likely to remain so, respect that and be understanding about not taking them flying. The only hope will be that they ease their fear, after seeing others enjoy flying, but don't count on that!

I suggest that no many family family members you have, one passenger seat will be enough for your first plane. I have never carried all of my wife and kids in one flight, though I have taken all of them flying over 25 years. For the few times it was vital that everyone flew (whale sighting on the St Lawrence one day) I just flew a number of flights. A cabin full of kids interacting (misbehaving) with each other is an added distraction, just keep it to one passenger for a while. When you're really experienced carrying passengers, you can reconsider then. it will be at that point that you'll realize the pleasure of enjoying a flight with just one family member, for it's own pleasure of the one on one. If you own a two seat plane, and need to carry more than one passenger, you can still rent a 172 for the day....

gotak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gotak »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:26 am It sounds that Gotak has some "mission requirement" determinations to refine, before actually getting to the point of confirming the correct airplane type. Both are important steps in buying an airplane, but the mission requirement really should be the earliest one! Sellers would be delighted to have PPI inspections done for them, at a potential buyer's expense - a buyer would really like to keep then number of those inspections to one - the one they then buy.

Take my advice, it'll end in disagreement to try to coerce souses and kids into being passengers. Sure, if they want to, that's wonderful. If they learn to like it, even better. If they're afraid, and likely to remain so, respect that and be understanding about not taking them flying. The only hope will be that they ease their fear, after seeing others enjoy flying, but don't count on that!

I suggest that no many family family members you have, one passenger seat will be enough for your first plane. I have never carried all of my wife and kids in one flight, though I have taken all of them flying over 25 years. For the few times it was vital that everyone flew (whale sighting on the St Lawrence one day) I just flew a number of flights. A cabin full of kids interacting (misbehaving) with each other is an added distraction, just keep it to one passenger for a while. When you're really experienced carrying passengers, you can reconsider then. it will be at that point that you'll realize the pleasure of enjoying a flight with just one family member, for it's own pleasure of the one on one. If you own a two seat plane, and need to carry more than one passenger, you can still rent a 172 for the day....
2 seater and then see later is what I am thinking since it's all up in the "air".

It is likely I'll move ahead on the 150 and go from there.

Thanks for all the advice folks!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A 150 will draw murmur comments, but is darn fine low cost flying. Right now the 150 as extra attractive, as it is one of the few single Cessna/Piper mainstream types which is not affected by structural airworthiness directives. many 172's/182's/PA-28's and others are subject to structural inspections, and defects are being found. The 150 is so simple and rugged, it is (so far) not similarly affected. Like any plane, it can have it's problems, but there are easily found during inspection, and most any shop knows what yo do to fix them.

When I was offered a partnership on a Cessna 310, and on a 182 in the mid '80's, I was not confident that they were in my budget. The 150 certainly was. I bought on in 1987, and have flown it 3000 pretty well trouble free hours since. Routine maintenance; yes, and within budget, surprises; few and affordable.... It's pleasant to have a really nice example of a modest airplane, and all paid for, rather than a "needs work" more exotic type, that you're always worried will have a big expense around the corner!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

gotak wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:42 pm I am not deciding on this immediately. It's a process.

Wife's ok with it budget is not fixed. The real issue is what she's willing to get into and she can't say until she has tried it. Maybe that's what i should do first, put her on one and see if she's willing to fly in one.
If you're not ready to decide immediately, then you don't need to look for an AME for a pre buy just yet. Once you absolutely know you want a specific airplane, that's when you organise a pre buy. If not, it will be getting very expensive to pre buy an airplane you might possibly be interested in. It's better to spend that money on the plane you actually want to buy!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Maintenance”