Lost identification / data plate certified aircraft

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Lost identification / data plate certified aircraft

Post by digits_ »

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone here has ever dealt with Transport Canada, to replace a missing identification plate / data plate from a certified aircraft. The aircraft in question has a full log history (US history + Canadian log history).

You need authorization from TC, then contact the manufacturer to get the physical plate produces. I'm mainly looking for info on how to get the TC authorization. What info do they need? The CAR reference is very short:
Loss or Theft of or Damage to an Aircraft Identification Plate
201.04 (1) Where an aircraft identification plate is lost, stolen or damaged, the owner of the aircraft shall submit an application in writing to the Minister, including evidence that establishes the identity of the aircraft, for authorization to attach a replacement aircraft identification plate to the aircraft.

(2) On receipt of an application submitted pursuant to subsection (1) that includes evidence that establishes the identity of the aircraft, the Minister shall issue a written authorization to the owner of the aircraft that permits the owner to replace the lost, stolen or damaged aircraft identification plate.

(3) Where an authorization is issued by the Minister pursuant to subsection (2), the owner of the aircraft shall, before the next flight of the aircraft, attach the replacement aircraft identification plate to the aircraft in accordance with subsection 201.01(2) or (3) or section 201.02, as applicable.
I doubt it's just a letter as "Hey, I lost my plate, can I get a new one?"

Thanks,
digits
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Lost identification / data plate certified aircraft

Post by PilotDAR »

Data plates have their own special place in TC's regulations. Write your TC Inspector a letter, spelling out the whole situation as you why you need a new one.

When I went OM on one of my planes, I had to change a data plate, similar permission required, no problem getting it when everything is as it should be.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Well that does sound suspiciously easy, thanks!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I recall they had a new one made locally for the DC3 on Plane Savers. In fact I think I have a picture of the extra blanks they made at the time.

Shouldn't be hard, just have to follow the regs.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

CAR 201.04 and 201.12.

Edit...just saw the reference in an earlier reply.

Return to “Maintenance”