PRM Approval Process

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Riggie
Rank 0
Rank 0

PRM Approval Process

Post by Riggie »

Has anyone here gone through the TC PRM approval process? Especially as a non-AME.

Recently appointed PRM for a small FTU (4 aircraft). Well, technically PRMCS since we are not an AMO. As stated above I'm not an AME just a pilot who is also interested in the maintenance side of things. I am fully aware I won't be going into this with the same technical knowledge as an AME, which concerns me slightly.

Looking for some insight as to the CAR's exam and TC interview. What did you use to study? There's not a lot of information on either exam online other than the study guide. Thus far my studying has consisted of reading the CAR's, Bill Frasers CARs for the AME book, and flipping through the maintenance manual for our aircraft. As well as attempting to commit our organization's MCM/MSA to memory.

Really appreciate any insight from anyone who has gone through this. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PRM Approval Process

Post by nine sixteenths »

CARs standard 726.03 is your regulatory starting point, it covers all the interview aspects. Bill’s book is a great start, but make sure you also get into the Regs and Standards themselves.

Don’t waste time studying up on the technical side with aircraft and engine manuals, that’s not relevant to you aside from understanding that your hired AMO needs to use the current and correct manuals per your Maintenance Schedule. Do know your Maintenance Schedules very well, and how they work, how and when tolerances can be used and can’t be used. A rough idea what the different specified maintenance tasks are in that MSA would help you but the technical details on how to set up your mixture or rig your flaps won’t help you.

Do understand what manuals and materials are which types of data: acceptable, specified, approved, these are important pieces to understand as they relate to the standards to which you are contracting work to be performed. Understand major modifications and repairs. Understand how that contracting of maintenance applies to your company, be prepared to explain the process, including regular work plus emergency/away from base work.

Understand technical dispatch for your company: maintenance scheduling, defect control, abnormal occurrences, elementary work, maintenance releases. Understand your companies quality assurance program, and how it will be applied to your own programs as well as how it applies the AMOs you hire. The PRMC is ultimately responsible for the maintenance scheduling and control, this can’t be given over to a contracted AMO to manage.

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sunk »

Great information posted above, in the interview if you don’t know a question don’t be afraid admit it. Tell them you would refer to the maintenance manual or to your inspector for additional information.

Riggie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Riggie »

Thank you very much for the insight and advice, much appreciated.

I've definitely been reading through the actual CAR's as well. I'm more stressed about the interview than the written exam. Planning to have all the documentation easily accessible so I can reference it if I don't know something, which I'm sure will happen.
nine sixteenths wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 am Do understand what manuals and materials are which types of data: acceptable, specified, approved, these are important pieces to understand as they relate to the standards to which you are contracting work to be performed.
Can you explain what you mean by different types of data? Or point me in the right direction to read up on it more.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

sunk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:53 pm Great information posted above, in the interview if you don’t know a question don’t be afraid admit it. Tell them you would refer to the maintenance manual or to your inspector for additional information.
Just remember the job of your maintenance inspector is not to answer your queries about maintenance, your MSA, what the CARs say, or what you should do in any particular circumstance. Your maintenance inspector is going to be the one interviewing you, and he or she wants to see that you know how to do your job as PRM without having to ask them how to do your job as PRM.

If your maintenance inspector asks you a question at your PRM interview to which you don't know the answer, I can pretty much guarantee the wrong answer is "I'd ask my inspector", because the reply is likely to be "We both know that I know the answer. The reason I'm asking you is to find out if you know the answer."

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nine sixteenths »

Riggie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:54 pm Thank you very much for the insight and advice, much appreciated.

I've definitely been reading through the actual CAR's as well. I'm more stressed about the interview than the written exam. Planning to have all the documentation easily accessible so I can reference it if I don't know something, which I'm sure will happen.
nine sixteenths wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 am Do understand what manuals and materials are which types of data: acceptable, specified, approved, these are important pieces to understand as they relate to the standards to which you are contracting work to be performed.
Can you explain what you mean by different types of data? Or point me in the right direction to read up on it more.
CARs Standard 571.06 is where you want to do some reading for this.

Riggie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Riggie »

Ah found it, thank you!

Return to “Maintenance”