Helicopter, western Canada apprenticeship

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

zulu king
Rank 0
Rank 0

Helicopter, western Canada apprenticeship

Post by zulu king »

I'm two months in my apprenticeship in a company operating in Québec province. Astars mainly and a couple of medium copters. Lot's of flight hours so much so that changing an engine or swapping modules is a common occurrence.Great for experience but I want to move west then go international. I want to go west Asap it's the major leagues and I know that even with my licence and a couple of years of experience here, I might be seen as less competent. Do you have companies that operate Astars you can name and are great for experience out west?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Helicopter, western Canada apprenticeship

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

zulu king wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:33 pm I'm two months in my apprenticeship in a company operating in Québec province. Astars mainly and a couple of medium copters. Lot's of flight hours so much so that changing an engine or swapping modules is a common occurrence.Great for experience but I want to move west then go international. I want to go west Asap it's the major leagues and I know that even with my licence and a couple of years of experience here, I might be seen as less competent. Do you have companies that operate Astars you can name and are great for experience out west?

Thanks
I wouldn’t say western Canada is the major leagues the industry itself just has varying degrees of work. As someone whose worked all over Canada the USA and many parts of the world it’s all the same but varying degrees of standards to be held to. There is a shortage of ames everywhere on rotary this summer due to wildfires however come fall there will surely be a surplus. My advice, look for a place you want to live as where you want to work. As an apprentice you will surely have to move, there’s lots to learn from lots of many great ames in Canada. Most companies are comparable these days in Canada coast to coast, I can’t name one over another. The ones that pay and invest in their employees are the ones you want to stay with. Good luck!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Helicopter, western Canada apprenticeship

Post by PitchLink »

zulu king wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:33 pm I'm two months in my apprenticeship in a company operating in Québec province. Astars mainly and a couple of medium copters. Lot's of flight hours so much so that changing an engine or swapping modules is a common occurrence.Great for experience but I want to move west then go international. I want to go west Asap it's the major leagues and I know that even with my licence and a couple of years of experience here, I might be seen as less competent. Do you have companies that operate Astars you can name and are great for experience out west?

Thanks
I’ve worked all over Canada and the world. It’s all the same in Canada, no better west to east, except for scenery. I’d actually say BC is saturated for ames but always looking for low time guys to keep costs down. It’s a dog eat dog market wherever you are right now with lack of work. Get your license and guide your experience towards whatever you want to work on. No employment is secure in this industry right now unfortunately. Take whatever you can get and if you’re handed a training bond, do yourself a favour and get a lawyer to review it before you sign it. Training bonds for type courses are a sign that they’re going to run you hard for the duration of the bond, and a sign of low pay. No bond should be more than 12 months but some operators have them set at 24 months which is a bit much imo. Hope this helps and good luck!

Return to “Maintenance”