TBO guidlines

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

3wannabies
Rank 0
Rank 0

TBO guidlines

Post by 3wannabies »

Hi Everyone, I am new to the airplane buying world. Ironic since I have been a flight attendant for over 30 years!!
I am in the process of buying a 172 for my son's pilot training for him to build hours faster.
I have a 1965 172 with 2600 hrs on the engine and the current owner says that as long as the engine run well it's fine. I was under the impression that TBO on a 172 was 2000 hrs. Is that a red flag?? Or is that only for flight school and commercial operation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If this is not the right place to post these questions, let me know
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: TBO guidlines

Post by PilotDAR »

'Right place for the question....

Generally, I agree with what you've been told, if it's running well, keep running it. That said, running well is more than it starts and you can fly it. good compressions, low oil consumption, good oil pressure, no metal in the oil, no leaks, and spark plugs and accessories maintained as they should be.

I had an O-200 I ran to 3600 hours, no problem. Even at overhaul, It was in great shape. Run it regularly, and maintain it. Overhaul and repair as required by condition.

Commercial registered planes are different...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Commercial aircraft can operate past TBO on a per-operator case by case basis, with additional inspection actions, by agreement with Transport Canada.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

3wannabies wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 am Hi Everyone, I am new to the airplane buying world. Ironic since I have been a flight attendant for over 30 years!!
I am in the process of buying a 172 for my son's pilot training for him to build hours faster.
I have a 1965 172 with 2600 hrs on the engine and the current owner says that as long as the engine run well it's fine. I was under the impression that TBO on a 172 was 2000 hrs. Is that a red flag?? Or is that only for flight school and commercial operation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If this is not the right place to post these questions, let me know
Yes you can run it privately, but also accept that it might need an overhaul any time. Which is also the case for a low time engine, but generally you could say that chances to be needing an overhaul will increase as the engine time increases. It definitely lowers the value of the plane though. The owner might claim it will run as good as a 1000 hour engine -and he might be right-, but it's definitely not worth as much.

Remember, the questions you are asking yourself now, will also be the questions future buyers will be asking themselves if you end up selling the plane again.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In terms of cash value, the engine is worth core value only, any extra flying hours are a bonus for the purchaser. Don’t let the vendor tell you otherwise.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Get a pre- purchase inspection done by an AME familiar with Cessnas .

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Ask if they have been having oil analysis done on every oil change and then ask to see it as well. A high time engine with oil analysis done and good compression is preferable to me to a low time engine that flies twice a year and never had any trend monitoring. That being said any used aircraft could have an engine failure the day after you bring it home and it would be wise to have a budget plan that could accommodate the overhaul cost.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

As they say at the car auctions “ Just remember folks , the more you pay for it , the more it is worth “ :)

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

photofly wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:28 am In terms of cash value, the engine is worth core value only, any extra flying hours are a bonus for the purchaser. Don’t let the vendor tell you otherwise.
Bingo!

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “Maintenance”