small oil leak after starting the engine - Cessna 180

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

small oil leak after starting the engine - Cessna 180

Post by tazin river »

Morning folks

The last couple trips, I have had trouble to engage the starter....it would turn but would not engage the engine...would take 3-4 attempts before it finally did...after shutting down the engine I noticed a bit more oil than usual dripping from under the cowling....not much and not for long but more than usual anyhow...

Clutch problem? Someone mentioned a bad seal on the starter likely the source of the problem?

Thoughts?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: small oil leak after starting the engine - Cessna 180

Post by PilotDAR »

An oil leak and starter problems in a 180 should be unrelated. If they're related, you have a big problem (something is broken, or falling off).

Do not attempt any more starts. The starter adapters work well, until they don't there is no middle ground on that. Yes, the springs will begin to slip on a worn out shaft. The reason that they start the third time, is that the spring got hot the first two times, and began to weld to the friction area of the shaft gear. This is super bad, as the shaft gear must spin at about double engine speed inside the spring the whole time the engine is running. If the surfaces are buggered from wear or beginning to weld together, you're going to fill your engine with hardened metal. I have seen some disasters (including scrapped engines) from pilot persisting start attempts with a worn out starter adapter.

For all Continental O-300D's, 360's 470's, 520's and 550's no further start attempts after the starter begins to slip. Call Greg at Canadian Aero Manufacturing, 705 326 1368, and he can arrange an exchange starter adapter.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Maintenance”