AME-E Licence after obtaining an AME-S License. Possible?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DarkMigz
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME-E Licence after obtaining an AME-S License. Possible?

Post by DarkMigz »

Hello!

First, I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum to post this, and my lack of knowledge with the aviation industry in Canada.

I am a foreigner, studying outside of Canada as an Avionics Technician and will be graduating soon. I am planning on moving to Canada, and take up a year to study Aircraft Structure and obtain the AME-S license. Will it be possible to obtain both AME-S and AME-E License, or am I missing something important? Considering that I'll be spending, or have spent, 4 years studying avionics, it would be a shame to have it unrecognized after I take up Structural here in Canada.

Cheers! Stay Safe!
---------- ADS -----------

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AME-E Licence after obtaining an AME-S License. Possible?

Post by SeptRepair »

There is nothing stopping you from having both S and E licenses. You do realize once you take the 'S' course ( if you can find a school offering it), you still need to get your practical time in. You best have all your practical time as an E completed first and have the license in hand before you go for an 'S'. As for the combination of S and E I have yet to meet anybody holding both. I'm sure there are people who do have them, but i think it would be unusual. Good luck.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
DarkMigz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DarkMigz »

Greetings! Thanks for the insight! I really am set to take up the Aircraft Structural Technician course from SAIT, would attending their courses be worth it? Also, coming from a foreign country and fresh from graduation into Canada , would it be possible to get those practical time? Is it possible to do it while studying full-time and get a part time job in Avionics?

Thanks!

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Cant speak of the 'S' program from SAIT, but I'm sure its just like any other approved course offered in Canada. You should also do your research and make sure the Avionics course your taking currently is recognized and accepted by Transport Canada. There is nothing stopping a guy from working part time while in full time studies. Finding the right company around Calgary that has night shift and weekend work for a wet behind the ears avionics apprentice will be a challenge.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
DarkMigz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DarkMigz »

Thank you very much! I really do hope that they recognize my current Avionics course. Stay safe!

Return to “Maintenance”