AME-M or AME-E?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fnguyen
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME-M or AME-E?

Post by fnguyen »

Hi all!

I'm currently enrolled at Fanshawe College right now in the 3-year program for both aircraft maintenance and avionics. At the end of the 3 years I am told I will be TC accredited for 24-months towards 'M' or 'E' rating as opposed to the 2-year maintenance only program for 18-months accreditation towards only 'M' rating.

Now, I'm only in my first year but I started to think about if is it worth it to do the 3-years for the avionics, over doing the 2-years and getting out ASAP to find an apprenticeship and sticking with an 'M' rating? Is there any real benefit in taking an extra year for avionics? I don't know if having that on a resume will increase my chances in landing a job or not. Also, if I do choose to go the 3-year route, at the end is it better to put the accreditation towards the 'M' or 'E' rating?

I have heard many people including some prof's that avionic tech's are very valuable and won't find trouble finding a job. But I've heard others say its better to get out after 2-years and start working to get experience because it won't really make too much of a difference.

I would like to know what you guys think is the best route to take and any feed back on prior experience is much appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AME-M or AME-E?

Post by SeptRepair »

There is currently a huge demand for good avionics techs. On the west coast I find there is a major shortage. I would focus on the E program. Once licensed, take the ICS course for maintenance while you are earning wages and then go get your M when you have enough time built up. The world will be yours for the taking afterwards. will take a few years, but personally I think you wont regret it.

Edit: To add, what exact courses are offered in the 3rd year that is not covered in the first 2 years? Is it just fluff, and the school is milking you for extra tuition with the only reward of it cutting down your apprenticeship time? If this is the case, then take 2 years.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
fnguyen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AME-M or AME-E?

Post by fnguyen »

Thank you for the advice!

So, the 3rd year is strictly avionics. The 2-year program only has a course for intro into avionics in the final term. The 3-year program works exactly the same as the 2-year maintenance program but in the last year we are mixed with the 2nd year avionics students (which is their final year), just like how for the first 2-years we are with only the maintenance group.

Return to “Maintenance”