Dutch college students looking for an internship in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Dutch college students looking for an internship in Canada

Post by tank »

Hello all

I have an uncle in Holland who is an aircraft maintenance
Professor at the MBO College Airport in Amsterdam. He has a few students that really want to do their internship portion of the college program abroad here in Canada. Apparently the college does not have any contacts here in Canada. My uncle has asked me for help reaching out to potential companies. I plan to ask the few companies I have worked for in the past but If anyone out there has any interest in maintenance interns from the Netherlands or leads on possible companies that accept international interns shoot me a PM!

In a nutshell they are looking for 800 working hours supervised by a licensed mechanic over a 20 week period as part of their final semester of schooling.

Thanks

Hank

https://www.rocva.nl/MBO-onderwijs/MBO- ... rport-(EN)
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Dutch college students looking for an internship in Canada

Post by digits_ »

Are they looking for a paid internship or a free one?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

800 working hours supervised by a licensed mechanic
So that's 800 hours - nearly half a full working year - each! - of work not able to be done by a Candian citizen or permanent resident. There's no way on earth CIC is going to allow that. Doubly so if it's for free - then the CRA doesn't even get the tax revenue. I sooo want to see the look on the CBSA officer's face when you try to wheel your trolley full of tools through Pearson airport and claim you're just there for some light tourism. "Yes officer, I always take a spare socket set with me every time I go on holiday. You never know when your rental car is going to break down."

And don't give me that bs about how it's not proper work - if you're swinging a wrench on my airplane or one I'm going to fly in then the work done by you should be to benefit the airplane and not to benefit you. If your knowledge of what you're doing is so weak that you don't deserve to be paid yet then go do it in someone else's aeronautical system, not the one I use.

What is it with internships? If you want work done, pay people, and pay people who are legally entitled to be paid.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

photofly wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm
800 working hours supervised by a licensed mechanic
So that's 800 hours - nearly half a full working year - each! - of work not able to be done by a Candian citizen or permanent resident. There's no way on earth CIC is going to allow that. Doubly so if it's for free - then the CRA doesn't even get the tax revenue. I sooo want to see the look on the CBSA officer's face when you try to wheel your trolley full of tools through Pearson airport and claim you're just there for some light tourism. "Yes officer, I always take a spare socket set with me every time I go on holiday. You never know when your rental car is going to break down."

And don't give me that bs about how it's not proper work - if you're swinging a wrench on my airplane or one I'm going to fly in then the work done by you should be to benefit the airplane and not to benefit you. If your knowledge of what you're doing is so weak that you don't deserve to be paid yet then go do it in someone else's aeronautical system, not the one I use.

What is it with internships? If you want work done, pay people, and pay people who are legally entitled to be paid.
Trudy will allow it.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm Are they looking for a paid internship or a free one?
You would ask if someone was looking for a paid job or a work for free job... why ask if they're looking for a non-paid internship?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

imjustlurking wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:02 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm Are they looking for a paid internship or a free one?
You would ask if someone was looking for a paid job or a work for free job... why ask if they're looking for a non-paid internship?
A job is paid by definition. An internship is not, but could be. I asked the question because I don't know the answer.

In the Netherlands unpaid internships are common. Not sure if there are paid ones.
Canada I believe has paid apprenticeships, which is not the same as an internship. So I don't know what the OP is looking for, and what the expectations are of the student.
photofly wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm What is it with internships? If you want work done, pay people, and pay people who are legally entitled to be paid.
If the Dutch college/university has it as a requirement, there is not much these people can do but to do the internship. The interns don't exist to fulfill unpaid internship positions, the unpaid internship positions exist to give interns a chance to graduate (in The Netherlands and probably other places).

The idea is that the 'employer' might gain some benefit from it, but will also spend a lot of manpower on training and guidance.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I don’t get this, there’s not enough work here for the guys and girls already licensed. This will be abused by employers and cut into the already slivered pie. I think employers will jump on this in Canada sadly. Why can’t you do this in your current country?

Return to “Maintenance”