AME to A&P

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

droy
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME to A&P

Post by droy »

I've tried contacting the FAA about getting my A&P(already have AME), and they say the I pretty much have to start from scratch.

Is this true?
---------- ADS -----------

wrenchturner
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wrenchturner »

You have to write 4 exams, then do an oral exam and a practical exam. A guy I work with did it awhile ago, and he ended up going to one of the schools advertised in AMT magazine for I think it was almost 2 weeks. After 6 or 8 days of studying, they did the 4 written exams, after passing all them, they did the oral and practical exams. The course I think was about $1000.

AME343
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AME343 »

Hey droy,

First of all you've got to get the acceptance from a regional US FAA office. This will be kind of like an interview, where they will ask to see proof of experience and your Canadian licence. Then when you have authority to write, go and buy the study guides from any aviation book stores. They are made by ASA and there is the General, the Airframe and the Powerplant book. These books are the exact questions that will be on the exams, and there is about 1000 quest. to study for the Airframe and Powerplant and about 500 for the General book. These are the 3 written exams you will have to write, General, Airframe and Powerplant, but you choose the order in which you want to write them. You will need to contact an approved testing facility to take the appointements for your exams. They're listed on the FAA site. I know there is 2 testing facilities in Canada, one in QC somewhere and one in Ontario. You don't need to take the complete course they offer on the web, just study the guides and write. After you are done with the 3 written exams, you will need to get in touch with a DME, or designated maintenance examiner to line yourself up for your oral and practical exam. At the end of every guides, there's a section for oral/practical. That's what you need to study for these exams. The 2 exams are done in one shot, unless you fail the oral of course. The FAA site has a list of DME for different US regions. The oral/pratical exam can sometimes last a few days. And then voila, you're an A&P.

Hope it helps. Let me know.

Cheers

Alpine beer is the best!
planeguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by planeguy »

As of the end of 2004, the FAA wasn't allowing people to obtain their license from outside the country unless they showed proof of needing to care for a US registered aircraft. That may have changed again but if I were you, I'd look into that before investing too much time.

AME343
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AME343 »

Hi planeguy,

You're right about that if you follow FAA rules for foreign applicants. Here they are: http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/

I'm not a US Citizen, and I live outside the United States. How do I get a mechanic's certificate?
You must meet all the requirements listed above for United States citizens. You must also meet the following requirements:

1-Demonstrate you need a mechanic certificate to maintain U.S.-
registered civil aircraft and you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident
alien.
2-Show the examiner your passport.
3-Provide a detailed statement from your employer saying what specific
types of maintenance you preformed on each aircraft, and how long
you performed it.
4-Provide a letter from the foreign airworthiness authority of the country
in which you got your experience, or from an advisor of the
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), validating your
maintenance experience.
5-Make sure all the documents you provide are signed and dated
originals.
6-Pay the fee for the document review.

What you need to do is phone one of the FAA regional office first and confirm with the right authority that you'll have the approval to write. I went and opened my FAA files in Seattle in Oct. 2005, and inquired about that. The guy at the Seattle flight district office said that although it is written, that you still don't need any proof that you need the A&P for work in the States or on American registered aircrafts. He did still asked me why I wanted it, so I told him that I could need it eventually for contract work abroad at one time or another, which was true. Now I know for a fact that it all depends who you talk to over there. I did the same inquiry in Juneau Alaska and they categorically refused to grant me the right to write. But usually the main offices will grant you the right. If you get refused somewhere, don't let it stop you, just call somewhere else.

Hope it helps.

Alpine beer is the best!
tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

AME343 is right.

If you get the runaround at one FAA office go to another one. Several offices deal with AME to A&P conversions all the time and don't follow the letter of the law.

If you go to an out of the way office that rarely deals with it they'll go by the book.

At this time it IS still possible to convert without demonstrating the need to work on N registered aircraft.

cpcat18b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AME to A&P

Post by cpcat18b »

Hello there !
I need your help here. Looking to convert my AME M1 to FAA A and P . Could not find a school. Anyone could help me with this please . I just need a name of school.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Feb 15, 2006 2:48 pm

This was the last post in this thread

15 years ago.

cpcat18b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cpcat18b »

Sorry I would have check the date on this . Really new to this . Could anyone point me to right direction please

cpcat18b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cpcat18b »

Sorry I would have check the date on this . Really new to this . Could anyone point me to right direction please

LeonardoCalo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LeonardoCalo »

droy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 pm I've tried contacting the FAA about getting my A&P(already have AME), and they say the I pretty much have to start from scratch.

Is this true?
Log on to faa.gov and find out the requirements for getting an FAA A&P License.

Return to “Maintenance”