Voyageur and the ST-27.s

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Voyageur and the ST-27.s

Post by longjon »

I take it some Voyageur maint people are reading this site and am wondering if any are old enough to remember when the ST-27, s were there.
1980 to I dont know when they retired them. I understand one is in the museum in The Sioux, LOL maybe.

The old memory banks can only hold so many registrations but were CNT,CML, HMQ some of them?

Where did these machines end up going to is my question?

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Goodwrench
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodwrench »

I was around back then. "The Snake" as they were called. They parked them in the late 80's maybe 90ish, around the time of the demise of City Express who were operating a couple of theirs at the time. If memory serves it was due to a spar A.D. which essentially finished them. I think a couple got sent off to South America or Africa.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

OK thanks for the info.

A different machine but loveable except for the English pneumatics and BSW nuts and bolts

Last edited by longjon on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

In 1990 I was in Peterborough and the company I was working for bought a hanger on the field to use for a paint shop....the name was Air Atonnabe but it was DBA City Express. Anyways, there was a ST27 in there...had some old bullet holes in it. Someone said it had been in South America. Anyways, it was cut up and moved out as scrap. I actually have part of a ST28 maintenance manual. I guess they bought all of the spares etc from Saunders and Saunders had been looking at building an ST28 model.

Cheers,

ETTW

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators
wieesso
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wieesso »

Hi ETTW, I'm interested in a copy of your ST-28 manual parts. Just made some research in the ST-27/ST-28 histories. Martin

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

The Company I worked for got the St 27s from Atonabee and I think the name was on one or 2 of the machines before I painted them.

I wrote the endorsment for them in a written exam as there was no type exams for them, long time ago.

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

Hi ETTW, I'm interested in a copy of your ST-28 manual parts. Just made some research in the ST-27/ST-28 histories. Martin
Well I'll let you know when I finally get all my boxes unpacked. Bear in mind that I've been in this place for a year and still have about 30 boxes in the garage to open! :lol:

Cheers,

ETTW

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators
wieesso
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wieesso »

Ok, ETTW, will come back to you later :smt023
Martin

maveryc10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Voyageur and the ST-27.s

Post by maveryc10 »

Saunders cn 009 C-GCML is in the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Center. The nose and cockpit of an unknown st27 is also there being used as flight simulator. Sault College had a Saunders fuse for their aircraft structures program. Believe that that one may now be scrapped.

I have been volunteering there since january and the first task I worked on was fixing up the interior a bit. A bit turned into a total gut. Cleaned, fixed, or replaced what we could. Looks a million times better. Working on fixing the cockpit up as it is a total wreak. The Saunders is actually really popular with kids who visit the museum.

I have been looking into more history of these planes and any information anyone might have would be helpful

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Here are the registrations for the City Express ST-27's:

FFZP FHMQ FXOK FCNX FLOL FJFH GYCR GYCO

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

ST-27 C-GCAT was owned by ON-AIR of Thunder Bay. The owner of the company and an engineer were changing a wet fuel pump late in the evening with the use of a trouble light and a little gas generator in 1977. As they were working the light bulb broke and all hell let loose. Parts of the plane landed on the runway about 300 feet away. The spar melted and the engine tipped forward onto the tarmac. I posted pictures long ago on the accidents section. Check them out. The aircraft was rebuilt but never allowed to fly again. Don't know where it is now.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I worked in Gimli from 1972 to 76 for Ontario Central Airways. This is when the Saunders plant was in operation. An inspection was being carried out on one of the ST-27's. One snag was a non-functioning fuel pump. The engineer selected the master switch on then the pump switch to test it. When he determined that the pump was U/S he put the master switch off but not the pump switch. After the pump was removed, fuel on the hanger floor, an avionics type got in to test radios. When the master switch was selected on there was arching on the dangling wires and a huge explosion with two men under the wing. I can't remember the exact outcome but it was tragic. I don't remember the reg either.

maveryc10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maveryc10 »

Whoa.... Saw the pictures. Thanks for the info

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kenair »

Hi, reviving this post, we are writing a series of blog articles on Saunders Aircraft ST-27 / ST-28. R. Fread has been most helpful.

https://saundersaircraft.blogspot.com/2 ... n-air.html

We are looking for paper or digital, any Saunders related material such as manuals, photos, log books, documents, stories, ancedotes, ame / pilot stories, passenger memories etc.

Also started a Saunders Aircraft FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2763480640542919/

Attachments
ST-27 air tanks Andre Belanger pic.jpg
ST-27 air tanks Andre Belanger pic.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
CF-YBM-X  starting Andre Belanger pic.jpg
CF-YBM-X starting Andre Belanger pic.jpg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
Saunders ST-27  engine fit 2 Andre Belanger pic.jpg
Saunders ST-27 engine fit 2 Andre Belanger pic.jpg (55.13 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

In the last pic, it looks like the a/c tried to eat the barbell set !

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by kenair »

Goodwrench wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:35 pm I was around back then. "The Snake" as they were called. They parked them in the late 80's maybe 90ish, around the time of the demise of City Express who were operating a couple of theirs at the time. If memory serves it was due to a spar A.D. which essentially finished them. I think a couple got sent off to South America or Africa.
why the SNAKE

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re:

Post by kenair »

Goodwrench wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:35 pm I was around back then. "The Snake" as they were called. They parked them in the late 80's maybe 90ish, around the time of the demise of City Express who were operating a couple of theirs at the time. If memory serves it was due to a spar A.D. which essentially finished them. I think a couple got sent off to South America or Africa.
why the SNAKE

Return to “Maintenance”