Salt Water operations

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

klimman123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Salt Water operations

Post by klimman123 »

Hey There

Was wondering about any special considerations for operating a C-206 on floats in salt water? How big of a factor is corrision? What can one do to prevent it? Will anybody lease a plane knowing it will be put in the ocean? Would it increase your insurance rates? Etc.....???
---------- ADS -----------

Post by Guest »

Corrosion is a huge problem but simple steps and progressive maintenance can keep costs down. No idea about lease agreements or insurance policys. I'd reckon as long as the bird's looked after there wouldn't be a problem.

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

We have one here on amphib gear. We wash it everytime its operated in salt water and it hasn't been a problem. If you use ACF-50 in the float compartments that also cuts back on corrosion as well. If you spend the extra bit of time and money cleaning the aircraft, you will save thousands in repairs down the road. I know it can be tough to wash if its on straight floats but it beats paying big $$ down the road.

As far as insurance goes, I don't believe any of that is considered. They are more concerned with who is flying it and how often. If the A/C deteriorates then its insurable value goes down. Thats the only problem I can see. The lease side of things you'll have to figure out on your own.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Don't want to seem like i'm plugging a product here but oh heck:

ACF-50 is an amazing product. It will suck its way into every crack and crevice. It will work its way around rivets, everything. And it stops corrosion like the business. We go over the king air with it every four hundred hours. On my airplanes i did it every three months. Even if corrosion has already started you just clean it up a bit and spray away.

ahramin

PITA

Salt water

Post by PITA »

Even salt water air has an effect on the aircraft. Don't be fooled by the fact that relativaly dry places are not affected.

ACF 50 is your best defence

Good Luck

PITA

chubby

CorrosionX good stuff

Post by chubby »

Corrosion X doesn't smell as good as ACF-50 but I find it persists better in areas that get spray and wind blast like the empenage and lower tailcone on the C206 w/floats.

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

Try and find an area that has water hook-ups available on the shore. Try and land in fresh water before making your final landing. Every day pull it out and spray it down. I imagine any commercial Aviation docks have some sort of facility to do this in the parking area.

If your plane isn't set up with a master that doesn't disconnect all power, get your AMO to change it. I don't know the legalities concerning this with a plane that isn't an experimental / ultralight. The salt water will act like an electrolyte and form a battery really increasing the corrosion if the plane planes electrical is grounded to it. Simply cutting off all power supply whenever the plane is not in use will make a big difference.

Also put some sort of low wattage mildew fan and dehumidifier inside the plane well parked. You can pick these up at any marine store. The dehumidifier is simply a container with some sort of chemical matter suspended above it. This matter somehow condenses the moisture and you'll be pooring water out of it after the plane sits for a few days. Costs about $15 and the fan will run you around $50.

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

While CorrosionX and ACF50 are both good products, they are not the only ones out there. Dinitrol makes some very good products of different viscosities depending on where you want to use it on the airplane. There's even good old LPS products among a ton of others.

The best corrosion prevention is keeping the airplane clean and rinsed with fresh water at all times. A bit of a pain to have to really flush it out after each time you use it, but well worth it in the end. Keep your paint touched up properly, your zincs in good shape, make sure there is at least a barrier of jointing compound or something similar anytime you have dissimilar metals coming together, and keep everything well lubed..

As for leasing an airplane and putting it in the salt water, well that comes down to your negotiating. Just make sure you have an experienced AME check it out first, and look after it for you while it's operating.

klimman123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by klimman123 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I would love to get a chance to lease a plane for a season and try to put it to work. There are a lot more considerations I'm gonna have to look into.

Baby Steps

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

Klimman, if you're really serious about an airplane, PM me.. I might be able to help..

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Salt Water operations

Post by Shady McSly »

Return to “Maintenance”