Air North

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

M2 guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air North

Post by M2 guy »

Anybody know much about these guys ? Any info would be great! Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air North

Post by HS-748 2A »

Do you have any DC-4 experience?

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
M2 guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M2 guy »

A bit, I didn't know Air North out of Whitehorse had any DC-4s. Anyone know who the DOM is?

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

M2 guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M2 guy »

Ahhh... cool, didn't see that on thier web site.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

HS748's and 737-200's are what they fly, DC4's gone long time ago...

M2 guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M2 guy »

hmm, good to know, thanks. I was wondering about Whitehorse too...cost of living, social scene, ect... I've heard it's not typical of northern towns, eg. Thompson, Man., Ft. McMurray, Alt. Is this true!? Once again any input would be great, thanks.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

You want to work in Australia mate?

www.airnorth.com.au

The hangar in Darwin is quite nice......

I wonder if the Voyageur boys are using it these days???????

M2 guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M2 guy »

Ha, really tempting, I'm not sure about the work visa/permit stuff though. Heard it's a hassel and you have to be under 28 y.o. and can not stay more than a one year. Don't know this first hand though, never tried.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Darwin is pretty expensive to live in though. I was there this past spring on a job, and I was shocked at the cost of food alone.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ybp »

Whitehorse is not your typical northern town. The summers are very busy with tourists and the winters a very long and can be very cold. I lived up there till I was 15 but I still like to go back at least once a year...but only in the summer!!! :D If you like doing stuff out doors, that is the place to be.

I know some of the guys a Air North and it seems to be a pretty good place to work. The 737 hangar is quite nice but the HS hangar is very old. Traveling in and out of Whitehorse by air is very easy to Vancouver but going to Calgary or Edmonton you still have to connect through Vancouver. First Air used to go from Yellowknife, but not sure if they still do. Traveling by road is not bad, but again, very long in the winter time....14 hrs to Ft St John then another 7 to Edmonton.

PM me if you want any specific details or need connections up there.

Nature is a Mother.
HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

ybp wrote:Whitehorse is not your typical northern town. The summers are very busy with tourists and the winters a very long and can be very cold. I lived up there till I was 15 but I still like to go back at least once a year...but only in the summer!!! :D If you like doing stuff out doors, that is the place to be.

I know some of the guys a Air North and it seems to be a pretty good place to work. The 737 hangar is quite nice but the HS hangar is very old. Traveling in and out of Whitehorse by air is very easy to Vancouver but going to Calgary or Edmonton you still have to connect through Vancouver. First Air used to go from Yellowknife, but not sure if they still do. Traveling by road is not bad, but again, very long in the winter time....14 hrs to Ft St John then another 7 to Edmonton.

PM me if you want any specific details or need connections up there.
Air North serves Calgary and Edmonton from Whitehorse, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
It's a long haul in a DC-4 though so bring a pillow, (and a blanket in case the janitrol quits).

http://www.flyairnorth.com/

AME 283
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AME 283 »

Whitehorse is one of the nicer northern towns (cities) has most of the amenities, year round paved road, climate is moderated as you are fairly close to the ocean, great scenery, lots of lakes mountains and trees. Cost of living approx 25% higher than Edmonton. Easy connections to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. Operate 737-200s and 748s. Owner is on site and approachable

//edit by Sulako to remove mention of names as per user complaint.

Bullet Remington
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bullet Remington »

AME 283 wrote:Whitehorse is one of the nicer northern towns (cities) has most of the amenities, year round paved road, climate is moderated as you are fairly close to the ocean, great scenery, lots of lakes mountains and trees. Cost of living approx 25% higher than Edmonton. Easy connections to Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. Operate 737-200s and 748s. Owner is on site and approachable

Any body have any idea what they're paying uo there for wages, benefits etc??

//Edit by Sulako to remove mention of names as per user complaint.

John Bull
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by John Bull »

Wages are industry average. Conditions are less than industry average. Current maintenance is not a happy place. Fleet keeps growing, facilities never improve.

737 maintenance is done in a tent. Fits one only. Just like camping. Even in January. 748 maintenance is done in an old hangar not big enough to get all of one aircraft into. Ass hangs outside. Not much better than the tent. Freight gets priority.

Air North does their own C checks. Dozens of guys have seen the operation. None have jumped at the chance to stay. You figure it out.

//Edit by Sulako to remove content as per user complaint.

Bullet Remington
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bullet Remington »

John Bull wrote:Wages are industry average. Conditions are less than industry average. Current maintenance is not a happy place. Fleet keeps growing, facilities never improve.

737 maintenance is done in a tent. Fits one only. Just like camping. Even in January. 748 maintenance is done in an old hangar not big enough to get all of one aircraft into. Ass hangs outside. Not much better than the tent. Freight gets priority.

Air North does their own C checks. Dozens of guys have seen the operation. None have jumped at the chance to stay. You figure it out.
John: Yeah, unfortunately that's pretty weel the "norm"in the aviation business in canada! I assume it s becaus ethe airlines are owned and run by drivers, they don't see the needs in maintenance. Plus, because maintenance SEEMS to be the biggest . of the operating budget, that's the prime point they cut, steal and cheat if the budget runs short in any other area!!

So, the wages are industry standard. What the @#$! is industry standard?? I've been contracting for so long I have no idea. It seems to vary depending upon what company needs people, and how badly!! I was aware of the facilities, I was just wondering if they've improved!!! Having worked helicopters for eons, I don't mind the tent thingy, JUST AS LONG as the money's there!!

From what I het from your post, its NOT THERE???

//Edit by Sulako to remove reference to names as per user complaint.

M2 guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M2 guy »

I find that when referring to wages, "industry standard" means, we will pay you as little as humanly possible, and that unfortunatly, seems to be the "industry standard". I've found the only way to make ends meet is to work overtime.

Having said that, some outfits allow you to put in a certain amount of O.T. with out complaint. Does Air North allow you to put in extra time on a regular basis? Or do they try to keep a tight leash on that kind of thing?

Once again, all your input is appreciated.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

M2 Guy, what endorsements are you packing?

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 54321 »

John Bull wrote:737 maintenance is done in a tent. Fits one only. Just like camping. Even in January. 748 maintenance is done in an old hangar not big enough to get all of one aircraft into. Ass hangs outside. Not much better than the tent.
Well, that sucks. I was thinking about heading up that ways in a couple yrs. Any idea if there are plans for new/better facilities?

Matt

John Bull
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by John Bull »

Bullet Remington wrote:
John: Yeah, unfortunately that's pretty weel the "norm"in the aviation business in canada! I assume it s becaus ethe airlines are owned and run by drivers, they don't see the needs in maintenance. Plus, because maintenance SEEMS to be the biggest . of the operating budget, that's the prime point they cut, steal and cheat if the budget runs short in any other area!!
Agreed.

Having worked helicopters for eons, I don't mind the tent thingy,
Then you will be comfortable fuelling the 737.

They run a five and two shift, I believe.

Industry standard means you can get the same in warmer places.

Plans? Always plans in aviation. No holes in the ground for a foundation. If that's what you mean.

Return to “Maintenance”