Maintenance Engineers

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

coldandwet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Maintenance Engineers

Post by coldandwet »

Apology accepted....and I do understand your point and I too have led others to a different path...I didnt ever want to do this either but here I am now and Ill ride out the remaining time trying to be happy, I hope you can Too!!...take care.
---------- ADS -----------

poorvika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by poorvika »

Very Nice post ,I like it.

daveybrit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daveybrit »

Being an unlicensed U.K fitter for ten years I understand some of the issues raised! It's however worth pointing out that there are little differences here and working long hours to get a reasonable wage isn't unusual!

Whether the perception of the aircraft engineer will ever change I doubt but I am certain that it's an occupation that people will be drawn to no matter what! I am currently looking to Canada for emigration -not really for a jump in wages or anything but just for a better less crowded way of life! Reading through all the threads it seems to me that people need to vote with their feet when discontented and let the market forces make life difficult for the lesser outfits!

Wonderdog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wonderdog »

Skis in YVC. Anyone?

TheBigMAC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheBigMAC »

Schimunga wrote:212wrench--I see that you like using quotes so I got one for you. "Those who can't do, teach."
I'm working for an airline at the moment and currently in school for Aviation Maintenance. One of my teachers was a director of maintenance and was actually fired from the job. When I here all the horror stories and go to school and try to take this guy serious I find it impossible. He is such a dumbass now that I think about it, he doesn't really know much. Half of my instructors are known by the guys I work with, and it goes to show how small the aviation industry is. Once an idiot, always an idiot.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

There's a few that have had difficulty making the transition from twisting wrenches to adult education. I'm now an ex-instructor, and albeit I miss many things, I miss most the people who took the time to thank me after my course delivery. After less than a year after I was laid-off, I declined a recall to the classroom. Once back to wrenching, I've learned to appreciate that my job is over once the shift comes to an end. I do miss the challenges (looking intelligent in a room of knowledgeable individuals :D ) and of course I miss the classroom fun. Your previous director of maintenance may have missed a few steps on the way up then again there's people that struggle in every job. I'll suggest those that make things look easy are the ones who put in an effort not understood by most until they subject themselves to the same environment.

TheBigMAC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheBigMAC »

c170b53 wrote:There's a few that have had difficulty making the transition from twisting wrenches to adult education. I'm now an ex-instructor, and albeit I miss many things, I miss most the people who took the time to thank me after my course delivery. After less than a year after I was laid-off, I declined a recall to the classroom. Once back to wrenching, I've learned to appreciate that my job is over once the shift comes to an end. I do miss the challenges (looking intelligent in a room of knowledgeable individuals :D ) and of course I miss the classroom fun. Your previous director of maintenance may have missed a few steps on the way up then again there's people that struggle in every job. I'll suggest those that make things look easy are the ones who put in an effort not understood by most until they subject themselves to the same environment.

I can agree with the last bit you said, a lot of them are just straight out of the text book guys who guy rush to get anything pre-paird for class. One of our teachers seems as if he dedicated his life to teaching and to be honest I find his class the easiest as it is just so well planned and laid out .. I wasn't referencing all teachers or didn't mean to. But if your going to teach, please have a passion for it and not just do it because you don't want to turn wrenches any more.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

My plan is this... I'm going to keep working and when all the other long time engineers leave the industry, I'll be the only one left. I'll have lots of respect then! I'll be worth a million bucks a year!

hossein_lwo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hossein_lwo »

Hey guys,
Is there any people who knows my questions pls?
I`m Avionic engineer and i live in iran now, i`m in process of immigration to quebec, I have 2 question,
1-does any one have any experience for converting ICAO license to TC AME?
2-As you are AME, i would like to know some information about job opportunity for Avionic in quebec pls.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Take all your documents to the closest T.C office and speak to someone. Maybe read up in our CARS about the topic of conversion. Most probably you will get 3 different opnions from 3 different people as to what you have to do to convert but once your file is assigned to someone in the TC office you have to jump through this persons hoops. Do whatever they deem is the correct thing to get you converted. So the more documents the better.

You know you don't have to remain in Quebec, once you get streightened out you can take a job in anywhere in Canada.

hossein_lwo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hossein_lwo »

longjon wrote:Take all your documents to the closest T.C office and speak to someone. Maybe read up in our CARS about the topic of conversion. Most probably you will get 3 different opnions from 3 different people as to what you have to do to convert but once your file is assigned to someone in the TC office you have to jump through this persons hoops. Do whatever they deem is the correct thing to get you converted. So the more documents the better.

You know you don't have to remain in Quebec, once you get streightened out you can take a job in anywhere in Canada.
thanks for your reply man.
but for finding job, i like to get some information by maintenance on quebec,i should change my location or the best one is quebec?may be you know the answer.
and also range of salary for people like me who does n`t have Canadian experience!!

looking forward to heard from you.thanks

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Hi again,

I really can't comment on the job chances in Quebec as I live in the West and as you may know we're a large country and opportunities in one area arn't generally known in another.

I think there are some jobs to be had in Quebec and for a licenced Avionics maybe 25 to 30 per hr, but thats a guess as I've been away from the Canadian scene for a few yrs and now work overseas

As a Westerner I'll say Quebec is a disparity to the union as they are always trying to seperate and go it as a seperate enity but have the CDN armed forces and the CDN dollar to their benefit. Most of the rest of Canada doesnt have the time of day for Quebec.

TheBigMAC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheBigMAC »

Off topic, but well said.
longjon wrote:. Most of the rest of Canada doesnt have the time of day for Quebec.

nutwrench 2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nutwrench 2 »

I read a little bit of this thread which has a common thread thru-out it....everybody bitches and complains....BUT nobody does anything about it. While I am a proud Canadian...best country in the world from what I see of my world travels.......but also sadly so Canadian. Instead of doing something about it....everybody whines the same verse. Being an expat working overseas now as I type...I only run into a fellow Canadian.....RARELY....most are from UK...France....Australia....South Africa...USA. These are the kind of people who were not happy with their present enviroment and they took action. There is no such frustration when you work overseas......we all know before-hand the supervisors are as.....holes....the company brings in a piece of meat for a tour and then return the piece of freight back to its home. As far as how and why they do their maintenance this way or that way...who cares....bring in the aircraft...turn it upside down and I work on it...no stress for me there.

Ame work :lol: is a great life....you just have to learn where and how to apply your skills.....and money wise...well there is a fortune to be made...............

M748792
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M748792 »

I've decided to call it quits.

After 15 years of aviation, most of it in corporate jets I don't beleive I can take it anymore.

My story: I worked for a large corporate management company (name starts with Sky and ends with service) taking care of a G500 and a Citation Bravo in Windsor, manage the hangar and deal with all the owner's requests (including work on his twin turbine powered catamaran race boat) doing the work that used to have 2 engineers by myself. I was always on call, worked ALONE (which I beleive is against the labour codes) often 10, 12-14 hrs during the week and then have to do an arrival or departure on the week end when the owner came or left to go to his 164ft yacht in the Bahamas or the "winter home" in Scottsdale. When I asked head office for back up they'd say "can the groomer do it??" ARE YOU F*CKIN' KIDDING ME??? 1) the groomer was contracted not an employee 2) he had a grade 12 education no technical knowledge of aircraft let alone multimillion dollar jets!
After a year & a half of this I asked for a raise & more time off, I was told take 5% or you're fired. Gee, what a choice! I have a mortgage to pay & kids to feed. Just before Christmas the owner found out I had applied for another job (which btw, DIDN'T pay more, but had week ends off, 8-5 days and a pension) and made the decision to get rid of me.
4 months later, the day after I returned from a week vacation in Cuba with my wife (it took me a year to save up for, & it was our long overdue (12 years) honeymoon) the DOM walked in and said "effective immediately you are terminated from employment with SS" Not 5 minutes later, my replacement walked in (most likely for lesser pay)
This is how they (the owner) treat you after 5.5 years of taking care of their jets, looking out for THEIR best interest, coming into work sick (including with H1N1 to change an FCU), & telling me that I was "their guy, not SS's". I was beaten down, run through the ringer and when the dog started to yip and bark they replaced me, when I asked about being transfered to YYZ, the DOM told me I "had a bad attitude" (I guess when some stooge in QA or Accounting calls looking for some piece of paper & is too lazy to get off their ass to find it themselves in their own files, that I'm to drop whatever I'm doing, including fixing the customer's plane!) and I was a "complainer". I suspect they were pissed @ me because the aircraft never came to them for large inspections (which was the owners decision) and blamed me. And now, lies are being told about me so that others can save face. Saying I refused to work on the owners boat, refused to accompany the a\c on an overseas trip (when I was the one who VOLUNTEERED to go, but the OWNER refused!) & had a "bad attitude" and didn't want me to "influence his (DOM's) team"!! (what a f'ing joke! That would be the same team that's jumping ship to go work for WestJet for LESS pay????)

I'll admit I was paid well, ($90,000\yr) but I was never home, and hardly had anytime off. But I am tired. Tired of being treated as a second or third class employee, that human factors don't apply to me, that I can work 24 hrs straight & still EXPECTED to have "the right attitude". When I was home I was too tired to do anything & usually grumpy.

And it's not just this particular company! It's ALL of them. the AME designation should be changed to DOG. They whip & beat you until you snarl back & then they replace you.

My qualifications?? M1\M2 license endorsements on Cessna Citation 500\550\Bravo, 560XL, 750, Challenger 604 & Gulfstream G500\550, Line maintenance courses on Williams FJ44, P&WC PW545 & PW306 & RR AE3007 plus an Avionics course on the Honeywell Planeview system for the G350,450,500,550.

Where will I go?? I'm looking into robotics, more job opportunities, same or better pay & less responsibilities.

Chris

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBAME »

DOG's get more respect. remember its the AME who cleans up the doggs crap on the ramp before they get in there nice jet that they gave you the pleasure of maintaning.

AME
Annally
Molested
Engineer

Note: this post like all of my other posts is NOT edited for spelling and grammer.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

With respect to the original poster - wildernessnorthair - did anyone notice about a month ago they were actively looking for a new DOM? Wonder what happened?
markymarkl wrote:A lot of good posts, back to the subject at hand-- DOM for this company ==is OK

BE VERY careful of the rest and DO your research on a few of the folks running the place! You have been warned!!!!!!!

Last edited by Pat Richard on Wed May 18, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://mindflipbooks.ca/
KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

The plot thickens.....

NFF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NFF »

Great thread but the truth hurts...

AME 16yrs experience.

roncoldlake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by roncoldlake »

M748792
I have a suggestion for you Power Engineering. I was once too in the aviation field and got laid off. Same situation. They asked for suggestions on improving and saving money and I suggested they move a couple of managers to the floor to utilize the licenses there. This got me laid off. At this time I would like to say hi to all my ex co workers who are still with the company. They read this thread. Out of respect for them I will not list the companies name as there is still a fair amount of people who I respect there and wish them all the best.
Getting back to power engineering. I am currently employed by Imperial oil in Northern Alberta. My base pay is 35 an hour with my 4th class steam ticket. With will go up to 40 to 50 with a third and higher with a second. If you are looking for information about this field I suggest you go to the ABSA (Alberta boilers and safety association) at ABSA.CA. You can obtain your ticket which is transferable (except Que. But this is not entirely true as I met a guy from Que who sent his info in and was awarded a higher level steam ticket) from the province you are living in as it is transferable. You can take the course via correspondence as you only need a recognized course for you Class 4s be advised you will need steam time. Which you could negotiate with companies you are applying to as this trade is in high demand and will be for years to come. Another trade in high demand here is instrumental electrical, Millwright and electrician. Imperial (Esso) is at the lower end of the pay scale as I have worked in the past at Cenovus and 20 year old kids are making 115,000 as a 4class. The work involves operation steam generating plants. You use steam to make the oil less viscous and easier to pipeline. With the oil comes water and sand. You have processors to remove the excess water and sand. The sand is cleaned and disposed of and the water is treated and reused to generate more steam. We use no water from surrounding lakes and underground streams even though we are allocated a certain amount each year. The fuel burned is the sour gas that is boiled off from the oil and natural gas bought locally. Making the process almost self sustaining. Shifts are 12 hour with 5days, 5days off 4 nights 4 off rotating like this or 7 on 7 off alternating days and nights. There is also Camp work with fly in and fly out options. This way you leave your work at work. Oh ya they only call if they want you to work overtime at double time and don't feel bad to say no as most understand the importance of families. A good article to look at is http://www.energy.alberta.ca/Org/pdfs/EnergyOutlook.pdf. I post this not only for you but for all who might find this useful. To those who makes more than a power engineer who works city be advised I am talking about oil and gas not looking after the boiler in a hospital or hotel. I got great encouragement from Pat and others on this website when I was suddenly laid off and hopefully this helps you and other who were in my same position. By the way I still love aviation and with the money I am making now I can afford those PPL costs that I was unable to do in the past. Happy Hunting. Any Questions feel free to PM me. Regards, Ron

Return to “Maintenance”