Future AME Discouraged

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Future AME Discouraged

Post by robertw »

85$ / hr is no joke. This guy was worth it. Now mind you, there aren't a lot of guys making a wage like that, but it's real.

As far as working for free, I wasn't. I was getting paid to wrench, just not anything extra for DOM responsibilities. I also now have the experience of DOM to put on my resume.
---------- ADS -----------

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Buddy i really don't like to say I have seen it all but there is no avionics dude worth $85.00/hr period..maybe with someones back against the wall but forget about it..another urban myth..and you are talking to a godfather..

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Im calling BS also.

The only way I'd see anyone getting that kinda coin is if they were an fantastic M, S, E(if you could hold that many ratings) combined, and they only needed a few hours sleep.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that sort of wage territory for all good AME's, but Im being realistic.

I've never seen any E guy be worth that much and I 'd like to know what you think made him worth it.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I could see an Avionics guy or mech bringing in that much an hour..... as their hourly billing rate for their AMO. You're not going to get anywhere near 2080 billable hours per year per person though, and a ton of other expenses come out of that rate....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Im an avionics tech and I can testify we make roughly $85 an hour. Of ocurse those are Zimbabwean dollars, after you do the conversion. But gotta admire the guy for looking at the bright side.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

You're not going to get anywhere near 2080 billable hours per year per person though

That's where I was coming from, an individual collecting that rate. I know AMO's charge that much when they send an employee out, who they might be paying 30ish(E) an hour to.

Maybe it should be clarified as to who was getting the 85 a/hr, the AME, or the AMO.

Im gonna say the AMO.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

I know this kind of wage is unusual, but the guy is in the avionics field and specializes in a niche of that field. He also is in the corporate world. Most corporate places charge an hourly rate upward of $120.00 / hr. We just had our aircraft down at a place that charges that much for "planned" maintenance. They have 6 facilities acros the US and the particular facility we were in has no less than 6 biz jets inthe hanger, at any given time. Their drop in rate is almost $170.00 / hr! Corporate is much more expensive than any sector of aviation in my opinion. If you've got a guy who you pay $176,800 / year, but makes your company say, half a million, per aircraft, why is it so hard to believe that he is paid that much?

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

robertw wrote:If you've got a guy who you pay $176,800 / year, but makes your company say, half a million, per aircraft, why is it so hard to believe that he is paid that much?

Because someone else will do it for $40, 000 a year.

And avionics techs arent exactly the worlds best and brightest, to take the avionics program at SAIT:

Alberta High School Diploma or equivalent with at least 50% in the following courses or their equivalents: Pure Math 30 or Applied Math 30 and English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2.
All applicants to SAIT Polytechnic must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.

A 50% pass mark and speak English.

At NAIT:
applicants must have completed the following prerequisites or equivalent courses:

English 30-1 or 30-2
one of Physics 30, Chemistry 30 or Science 30
Pure Math 30 or successful completion of Transitional Mathematics 101 or Algebra 35 (with a minimum of 65%)

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

azimuthaviation wrote:
Because someone else will do it for $40, 000 a year.

And avionics techs arent exactly the worlds best and brightest, to take the avionics program at SAIT:

Alberta High School Diploma or equivalent with at least 50% in the following courses or their equivalents: Pure Math 30 or Applied Math 30 and English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2.
All applicants to SAIT Polytechnic must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.

A 50% pass mark and speak English.

At NAIT:
applicants must have completed the following prerequisites or equivalent courses:

English 30-1 or 30-2
one of Physics 30, Chemistry 30 or Science 30
Pure Math 30 or successful completion of Transitional Mathematics 101 or Algebra 35 (with a minimum of 65%)

Ok. First off, a tech school grad has no where near the skills to do what this guy does and neither do the tech schools teach what he does. It is completely ridiculous to suggest that an apprentice could do what the fellow in question does. Let me emphasize that he is highly specialized in an avionics niche that happens to bring in lots of $$$ for his company. He is not an apprentice nor has he just gotten his M1. He is an industry veteran.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you believe this or not. Call it BS if you want. I don't care. Your belief is not required for this to be reality. The point I was trying to make way back on page whatever of this discussion was simply that if you commit yourself to standing out among your peers in job performance, continuous learning, and taking on new challenges in this industry, you won't become one of those who constantly bemoan it. Employers will want you and be willing to pay you for your skills. The longer you are in this industry, the more you realize how small of a world it is. Make yourself a good reputation and employers will come looking for you.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

"Make yourself a good reputation and employers will come looking for you."

How long does this take, and when you get there, how many years do you have left?

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Do you honestly think there is a pat answer for this? Of course you don't. You're being tongue in cheek. Your cynicism prompted that response. If there was a pat answer, then every AME would be here X number of years making $$$. Fact of the matter is that not everyone can have those top $ jobs. There are not as many to go around as the lower paying jobs. The thing is, if you have a good reputation, you're more likely to get one.

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

Pat Richard wrote:Im calling BS also.

The only way I'd see anyone getting that kinda coin is if they were an fantastic M, S, E(if you could hold that many ratings) combined, and they only needed a few hours sleep.
You should know better, Pat..... I'm not impressed with that one.
Get your M1 and M2..... then go through the CARs.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Meaning what?

What I've been witness to is that tc will not let you hold an M1/M2, E, and S simultaneously. M1 with an S, M2 with an E, M1and M2, etc, but not everything. This was four years ago and was straight from tc. Could've changed since then, but Im not a casual reader of Car's, so I'd be waiting for confirmation of this from QA.
As for "ratings", I was referring to type endorsements. Ok???

Obviously I should have been more clear in my writing for you Danny, but the point I was making was that for the aforementioned wage I would think the person would have to be a superwrench encompassing all attributes of the maintenance trade to be demanding, and getting, $85 a/hr.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Actually, when you hold an M1, M2, you automatically get privileges for E and S. I use my M1, M2 license for signing off work under our AMO's structures rating.

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

iflyforpie wrote:Actually, when you hold an M1, M2, you automatically get privileges for E and S. I use my M1, M2 license for signing off work under our AMO's structures rating.

Exactly what I meant.

Chapter 566. That's a really short chapter, by the way. It says that once you are issued an M1 and an M2, you won't be issued any more rating other than balloons as you already encompass E and S work scope.
Ratings are one thing. Type endorsments are another. All semantics, anyways.

Most people know about this, so I'm just surprised you didn't know about it. But hey....no big deal.

I did get the point about being a super mech in order to get 85$/hr.
If theres job out there that do pay that high, they are not common. And they are either in ultra weird/dangerous conditions or reserved to the ultra-gifted/hardest-working-ever/no-life/jack-of-all-trades-AND-master-of-all individuals.
I don't think I will ever see those numbers!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

It's the bell curve. Some guys do really good, some do really bad and either leave or continue for the 'love of aviation', 80% are right in the middle, making livable but mediocre wages in comparison to other skilled trades.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

After reading my reply, it seems to sound off a bit testy, which was not my intention, so apologies.

Anyway, back to the topic, I see there is some difference in opinions/facts. Up until the episode I witnessed I was of the same opinion as you guys, but I had it laid out by the dom as I previously posted. I also had another ame relate the same a few months later. So I don't know wtf is the current standard, and Im not currently suffering from severe enough insomnia to start thumbing through Car's.

If Im wrong, and that happens rarely :lol: , no problem.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 624 »

As stated, an M1/M2 encompasses all the licensing scenarios. But here's the thing. If you work for an AMO with a (example) structures rating, you can only hold an ACA for structures if you have the required experience.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

624 wrote:can only hold an ACA for structures if you have the required experience.
Exactly.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Whatsa "Pat answer"???

Return to “Maintenance”