can foreigner get AME M license in canada?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lsynelvis
Rank 0
Rank 0

can foreigner get AME M license in canada?

Post by lsynelvis »

As a international student, i want to know that whether i can obtain a AME M license in canada after graduate from institutions like BCIT? And there is someting i dont really understand, i found out that nearly all of the job ADs say a AME M1/2 license is requried. Then how should i get the 48 months job on experience in order to obtain the ame license?...Does this means to find a job in canada as a fresh man(without AME license) is very difficult?
---------- ADS -----------

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: can foreigner get AME M license in canada?

Post by helicopterray »

After graduation from an Approved Training Organization such as BCIT, one must go through a period of apprenticeship to get an AME licence.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#403_01

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 826.htm#d2

CARS 566, which establishes the standard for an AME licence, does not state that one must be a Canadian citizen to receive an AME licence. As an international student, you will have to verify your citizenship status with Transport Canada as per CARS 403 subsection 3.

Having said all that, keep in mind that as a foreign student, you will be studying here on a student visa. To do an apprenticeship in the Canadian workplace, you will need a Canadian work visa.

lsynelvis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lsynelvis »

Thx for the information!! I'v heard that after graduation our international student will get a 3 years long work visa until we can find a job. I thought the most difficult part to do an apprenticeship is to find a company which will employ us.

And there is also a problem i am struggling, should i choose to study in Aerospace manufacturing Engineering course or Aircraft Maintenance Engi course to become a AME? Can anyone pls give me some advise :roll: :roll: ?

Personally i really interested in AME(not the manufacturing process)...however i found out that many expirenced AME in this fourm are complaining...also AMEs in my courty are complaining....
Which course i should choose?????? :?: :?: ...

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

The Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course will lead towards an AME licence category M.

People complain no matter what. This industry has been pretty darn good to me.

ExBrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ExBrat »

Yes, there is no citizenship requirement. However you will have to show proof of whatever citizenship you do hold, so that the informationcan be entered on your licence. As for your practical expereince, that may be obtained in any country, but must be aquired on aircraft registered to an ICAO compliant state.

lulelkdat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lulelkdat »

Hi fellows, i have an AME B2 avionics foreign licence, will transport Canada allow me do a conversion to a Canada licence?

neptune
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by neptune »

No, Transport Canada will not give you a direct conversion from your B2 licence or whatever foreign licence that you may have. You will be required to sit all the technical exams and the regulations exam. The only credit that you will get is your experience time which will be accepted if it is documented formally.

Fardin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fardin »

Hi im a student studying aeronautical engineering and im planning to move to canada to take the AME training. But i have few questions i need to clear out.

1. As a foreigner can i get a job or apprenticeship or ojt in the airlines (whatever airlines it may be)?

2. I have heard that with this 2 yrs diploma program the visa that i will get, will it be only 2 yrs or 4 yrs (2 yrs for study and 2 yrs for work)?

3. And after graduation from the training institute, without being a canadian citizen can i get jobs in airlines and apply for PR?

And can any one list out the process to become a successful AME with PR in canada for internationals, like what i have to do?

And idd like to hear the story of anyone who have became successful
Thank you

Will be eagarly waiting for a lot of replies PLEASE

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Fardin wrote:Hi im a student studying aeronautical engineering and im planning to move to canada to take the AME training. But i have few questions i need to clear out.

1. As a foreigner can i get a job or apprenticeship or ojt in the airlines (whatever airlines it may be)?
Yes, if you are legally able to work in Canada you can get a job with whoever will hire you.
Fardin wrote: 2. I have heard that with this 2 yrs diploma program the visa that i will get, will it be only 2 yrs or 4 yrs (2 yrs for study and 2 yrs for work)?
If you're planning on getting an AME License you'll l likely need more time. The big training institutes will give you around 18 months credit towards your AME license. You'll need an additional 30 months of experience to qualify to write the final examinations. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 01-262.htm
Fardin wrote: 3. And after graduation from the training institute, without being a canadian citizen can i get jobs in airlines and apply for PR?

As above in #1, if you are legally able to work in Canada you can get a job with whoever will hire you. Not sure what PR means though.
Fardin wrote: And can any one list out the process to become a successful AME with PR in canada for internationals, like what i have to do?
The basic process is laid out in the regulation below. You need to state your citizenship and meet the requirements for age, training, knowledge, experience and skill.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... l#s-403.03

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

PR = Permanent Residency.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

helicopterray wrote:PR = Permanent Residency.
Ah... That makes sense.

AGG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AGG »

Hi there, I´m foreigner I have been working in the aviation field 4 years (B737 and A320 Experience).
last year I went to Transport Canada office, the chief inspector recommend this course https://www.icslearn.ca/programs/trades ... -mechanics is a short course, (all the books are from Jeppesen.) I think the most difficult part is get a job offer and then get the work permit.. but if is your goal, let´s go !!!

Regards..

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

so i was a student a long time ago and wondered about working overseas
i have worked overseas and found it a challenge but i don't understand why everybody that is not from Canada wants to work here
Is it better in Canada cause of the wages or the life style ?
or do you just want to get you family here because your life sucks so you can suck up Canadian tax payers money
we Canadians take pride in our standards and accept change but is this the Walmart of places to live and work in the world
or is it a figment of my imagination
everyone in the world wants your job and will work for less than you worked and died for
you better be serious and think about the people that built this country
Money will get you a job but it lowers the standards of the ones that have contributed to the society

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

tohellnback wrote:so i was a student a long time ago and wondered about working overseas
i have worked overseas and found it a challenge but i don't understand why everybody that is not from Canada wants to work here
Is it better in Canada cause of the wages or the life style ?
or do you just want to get you family here because your life sucks so you can suck up Canadian tax payers money
we Canadians take pride in our standards and accept change but is this the Walmart of places to live and work in the world
or is it a figment of my imagination
everyone in the world wants your job and will work for less than you worked and died for
you better be serious and think about the people that built this country
Money will get you a job but it lowers the standards of the ones that have contributed to the society
Wow... Time to step off the bitter bus. Wages are decent in this country for aviation mechanics when you compare them to those in many other countries. Living conditions are pretty much the best in the world. If I were a guy who has a foreign license or not, I would see Canada as the place of my dreams and try any way I could to get here. I don't blame anyone from outside of Canada for wanting to move here.

Your insinuation that immigrants "suck up Canadian tax payers money" and that they aren't grateful for "the people that built this country" is totally misplaced. This country was built by persons who immigrated here. British, French, Japanese, Ukrainian, etc... The list is pretty much endless. The vast majority of the immigrants I know are hard working and are greatly thankful that they are in Canada. Don't ever denigrate someones desire to come here.

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

Wow Roberto Politically Correct: Time to step off the bitter bus. Wages are decent in this country for aviation mechanics
and what bus did you step off
We have piss poor wages and they go down every time a foreigner is hired
Economics are used in every way or form when deciding on hiring a foreigner
You don't see Scandinavian, Netherlands and western europeans immigrating to Canada because of the wages, its mostly because of the life style
I got so sick of the immigration policy in my country so i left Canada and am working in a developing country now making Canadian wages with benefits and live way better with beautiful women and 2 oceans Yes you get what you pay for
In Canada i payed on a average 30 per cent taxes of my salary for 30 years and as i am concerned ,cause i helped built a nation i don't even want to do the math AMEs that come to this tax bracket would be pissed too so don't talk about good wages RW the immigrants will Fup this country

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Sorry, no political correctness from me. Just the truth. Our country was built on the backs of immigrants, there is no way to deny that. Wages are not "piss poor" as you state. Wages for AME's range between $25.00 / hr - $45.00 / hr. There are lots of people who make a living on less than that. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are "high paying" jobs, but the wages are decent. What do expect AME's should be paid? $60.00 - $80.00 / hr? I don't think so. There are many people holding masters degrees and PhD's that don't make that much. If you want to be paid more than an AME, you'l have to try to get into management or move on from being an AME.

It's not immigrants that are messing up our country, its the greed of labor unions and those that think they are owed more than they're worth that cause companies to look for cheap labor. Too many people want "Their money for nothing and their chicks for free." That kind of attitude makes me want to barf. :smt078

I know you'll disagree, but that's my opinion.

Sami_Derias
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sami_Derias »

Hi everybody I m new here ,it is first time to write in that forum
My name is Sami from Egypt working as licnesed helicopter maintenance engineer I have 12 years experience on Bell Helicopters Bell 212 and Bell 412
I hold Egyptian license A&C icao type 2
I would like to get AME M license really I read TC website I got confused I lost my way to get proper info
I have few question
1st to get AME m license must have maintenance tasks sign off by AME person so it is not mentioned Canadian AME or other AME
2nd. Question I m already licensed /certified aircraft maintenance engineer can I sign off to myself on maintenance tasks
3rd question how long required maintenance tasks 6months or 48 months

Sami_Derias
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sami_Derias »

Hello everybody
I want to know something about M license if someone hold this license,it is approved to him to sign off any aircraft as known as FAA license or it is required from him to add type rating (specific aircraft) on his license (m1/m2) to sign off this type of aircraft as known as EASA license??

Sami_Derias
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sami_Derias »

Hello everybody
I want to know something about M license if someone hold this license,it is approved to him to sign off any aircraft as known as FAA license or it is required from him to add type rating (specific aircraft) on his license (m1/m2) to sign off this type of aircraft as known as EASA license??

Kamranek
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kamranek »

I am currently being employed as an aircraft engineer and prior to this I have completed 2 years BTEC national diploma in, I hold UAE AME licensr since 2010.

I had recently applied for Canadian AME license little I knew I had gotten all the documents attested as certified true copy throughy organization's quality assurance and had submitted experience letter and even filled up TC log book.
I was sent a rejection letter obviously because of certifying process should have been notary public as mentioned in letter but also below points on my education which was completed outside the Canada, could somebody after referring to below assist me with what do TC needs and how can I provide them with what they need,
Canadian AME license with below requirements to be filled,

1) A transcript of marks indicated in percentage

2) Theoretical hours of training in each subject area of the course

3) A Detailed curriculum of the programme including each subject area breakdown

Return to “Maintenance”