To be an AME? I am scared

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lamptern
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: To be an AME? I am scared

Post by lamptern »

Thank you guys for all your valuable input.

The more I read, the more indefinite I feel. Actually I don't care if the
career I am going to switch to is cool or not. I just want to see some
opportunities to get in and make a fair wage.

To be specific, I want a job which:
work mostly indoors, no graveyard shift and not too physical demanding.
It does not matter if it starts with apprentice or not.

I have a couple of months to make the decision.
---------- ADS -----------

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Being a "S" guy, which I admittedly initially overlooked, does for the most part lessen ones exposure to potential steady night shifts, in comparison to "M" guys. A plus.

The negatives, as I see it, is the exposure to steady noise/vibrations to the hands, harsh chemicals, prolonged periods in tight/very tight areas, and limited entry level positions. How many ads do you see looking for apprentice S guys? Not that there is steady demand for experienced guys either, as much of the demand, when there is some, is with heavy overhaul outfits who are not consistently busy( i know of only cascade looking for S guys currently)
Considering that you are a little older, I dare say you would find this trade more physically demanding than someone say 20 years old. You could potentially find a position doing bench work(avcorp) but Im pretty sure that would not help you get an s license.
Lastly, there is real skill involved in being a good S guy, and Im not saying you don't have it, but just keep in mind that just because one finishes the course doesn't mean you will have success in the trade. It's not easy forming flat sheets of aluminum into various complex shapes, and even harder to do it consistently and quickly. Just saying. I personally consider good S guys more along the lines of craftsmen.

Anyway, I'd like to say "go for it, see what happens", but the problem is it is not that easy as it requires significant commitment in both time and money, and you have to take into account what you will get in return and how long will it take.
The numbers presented as an attempt to reassure you that this is a financially viable trade are, as you have probably deduced, rather pathetic, and give some insight into the mindsets(low expectations) of those trying to promote this trade. You might want to pay serious attention to this when making your decision.

I personally think there are better choices out there that you would be happier with at this point in your life, and in the future.

Good luck.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

To be specific, I want a job which:
work mostly indoors, no graveyard shift and not too physical demanding.
It does not matter if it starts with apprentice or not.
LOL so youre going to knock on hangar doors and tell them you want an executive position?

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

Pat Richards--Have you worked as a plumber? Have you ever worked as a HD mechanic? The reason I ask is to see how valid your point is that being a plumber or HD mechanic is better then being an AME.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

good S guys more along the lines of craftsmen.

Nailed it....Sheet metal is an art form. Like any good artist they take years before they capable of producing masterpieces. Realize that metal in structures is slowly being totally replaced by plastics.
As for school production; the industry term is "meat in the seats".

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Schimunga wrote:Pat Richards--Have you worked as a plumber? Have you ever worked as a HD mechanic? The reason I ask is to see how valid your point is that being a plumber or HD mechanic is better then being an AME.
You know what, I'll ask u this - You have apparently tried something else out of aviation - and failed - yet you come back with a holier than though attitude and attempt to put me on the coals. Are you honestly looking for a sincere debate or are you just looking to garner my attention and respond to you? I think its the latter, and not to be arrogant, but piss off with your semantics.I think you are consistently looking for some sort of notoriety in the fact you engaged me in debate, regardless of how mundane/trivial your points are.
I honestly dont really care, but Im gonna say eff off, you're annoying and pointless, and Im being polite. I think you are a classic case of a @#$! up trying to reinvent himself on the internet.

Pat

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

c170b53 wrote:
good S guys more along the lines of craftsmen.

Nailed it....Sheet metal is an art form. Like any good artist they take years before they capable of producing masterpieces. Realize that metal in structures is slowly being totally replaced by plastics.
As for school production; the industry term is "meat in the seats".
A big +1. Though plastic structures is certainly an art form as well, especially doing a repair on something with compound curves (which is lots of plastic planes these days). I really wished I had pursued the structures end of it a bit more... but the noise, the chemicals, and the tight spaces weren't my cup of tea...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

Pat--Actually I was looking for a debate. I wanted to know how you can make a claim that a plumber or HD mechanic is better then an AME when you have never worked either of those jobs.

By the way I would rather be called a @#$! up then a spoiled 11 year old girl. Now that was funny.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

brownbear wrote:The two sticky threads should be not stickied and do not represent this occupation.

It's a good job. And yes it can be a career.

I see no reason once licenced you cannot make 23ish. Most college grads get 16.

Within 5-10 years you get 25-30.

This site is full of doom and gloom. While all of us have our low moments but Aviation jobs are not worst out there.
Have a look at the starting wages for flight attendants .......

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le2124489/

Keep reading until you get to the part about what a 10 year one makes... yeah, what a comparison.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

You do realize that those hourly rates are paid only for hours in the air? They work (and get paid for) 80 - 100 hours per month. At $22 per hour, that's a whopping $2200 per month. Wow! Where could one possibly spend all that money? $26,400 per year! Holy Smokes! Where do I sign up???

torx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by torx »

Pat Richard wrote:
Have a look at the starting wages for flight attendants .......

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le2124489/

Keep reading until you get to the part about what a 10 year one makes... yeah, what a comparison.
Pat...you just solidified your ignorance...10 fold! :wink:

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

no shit fa's don't work 40 hrs a week, I know this personally , and even though she worked around 30 hrs a week, she still pulled in more than me, and thats not getting into all the perks cabin crews enjoy. The point is the hourly rate, no more.
Tell me that even a part time/semi fulltime FA deserves to make more hourly than 10 year experienced AME, or even a decent grad. That's my point, but since you dummies are so fixated on making me appear to be ignorant, to obviously try to pump up the "yay" side, you are evidently supporting FA's earning more hourly than AME's. If you are any kind of a decent AME why would you be in defense of higher FA vs AME wages?
Who gives a shit how many hours they work a month. Pay an AME 60-70 an hour and let them work part time then, or is that too ignorant a suggestion? That's the case you guys are making for the cabin crew.

But you know what? As long as there are dumbasses out there that see this situation as acceptable, and evidently there are a few, the big dream of $30 an hour after 10 years will continue to be the norm.

Return to “Maintenance”