To be an AME? I am scared

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lamptern
Rank 0
Rank 0

To be an AME? I am scared

Post by lamptern »

I was about to make up my mind to take a training course which is leading to a technician certificate on AME-s. However, after reading first two sticking posts I found out it is really a tough job. I don't mind to start at $14/hr. But no chance to get rid of night shifts in 10 long years really shocked me. I worked graveyard shift at 7-11 before,
I know what that means. 50k a year is acceptable for me, I just wonder how long does it take to get that. Since I can not find many job openings for AME apprentice (only from Cascade weeks before), I am really worry about finding the first job after graduation.

I am not young any more (a forty year old man who want to switch to a new career). If the life of a AME-S license holder just like a dead end road, I definitely can not afford the cost of my first step.

I like fix things. I want to be a skilled trade people (any job related with skills actually).
Fortunately (unfortunately) I dropped in this forum and I lost my head.
---------- ADS -----------

hoptwoit
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: To be an AME? I am scared

Post by hoptwoit »

Maybe try heavy duty mechanic we needs lots in alberta . Pay is pretty good.

People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.
cbarquet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cbarquet »

If you decide to do it, do it in the USA this way you get licence as soon you finish your schooling.
Try NAA Academy.

Cristina Garces at cgarces@naa.edu

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

Who told you you would have only the opportunity to work nights? In the Okanagan Valley the two largest employeers of "S" licenced AME's, Kelowna Flightcraft and Alpine Aerotech have lots of chances for guys to work days. In fact it is extremely rare for KFC (except painters) to have anyone working night shift (midnight to 7:00) and Aerotech doesn't work after 3:30 pm. You will find two common threads when you go on the internet and research AME, one is its a horrible job, which it isn't, in fact the suggestion has been made to go take heavy duty mechanics. Research that one and come back and tell me AME isn't a good job. Second is that you don't have any options. Not to many jobs have the flexibility that being an AME have, heli in the bush, FBO, shift work, overseas, airline, third party maintenance, International etc. Try having those options by being a plumber. Folks are going to jump all over this post, mosty about wages and working conditions, but I really don't care as you will find that most of the people who make those posts are only happy when they are complaining and they get what they deserve.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Yeah, but KFC will toss you on your ass as soon as the economy hiccups.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
lamptern
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lamptern »

cbarquet wrote:If you decide to do it, do it in the USA this way you get licence as soon you finish your schooling.
Try NAA Academy.
Thanks Cbar. I live in Fraser Valley and it is just 30min drive to UCFV which now has a training program.

212wrench wrote: Not to many jobs have the flexibility that being an AME have, heli in the bush, FBO, shift work, overseas, airline, third party maintenance, International etc.
Thanks 212. This is why I am still considering to go ahead. Options are important factors when choosing a career. My concern is the odd to get hired right after graduation. It seems like lots of AMEs are now walking in the streets.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

For me, being an AME is a job......not a career. I think that's the best way I can put it. There's loads of negative things......some positives but at the end of the day it's not a career.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

212wrench wrote:Who told you you would have only the opportunity to work nights? In the Okanagan Valley the two largest employeers of "S" licenced AME's, Kelowna Flightcraft and Alpine Aerotech have lots of chances for guys to work days. In fact it is extremely rare for KFC (except painters) to have anyone working night shift (midnight to 7:00) and Aerotech doesn't work after 3:30 pm. You will find two common threads when you go on the internet and research AME, one is its a horrible job, which it isn't, in fact the suggestion has been made to go take heavy duty mechanics. Research that one and come back and tell me AME isn't a good job. Second is that you don't have any options. Not to many jobs have the flexibility that being an AME have, heli in the bush, FBO, shift work, overseas, airline, third party maintenance, International etc. Try having those options by being a plumber. Folks are going to jump all over this post, mosty about wages and working conditions, but I really don't care as you will find that most of the people who make those posts are only happy when they are complaining and they get what they deserve.
Instructor talking. BTW, overseas and international are the same thing and our license isn't good in any of them. Are you also saying being a plumber is worse than being an ame? Really?
have to also laugh at your two examples of kfc and aerotech. biggest discussion about those two would be which one blows more than the other. BTW, seeing as you instruct at the okanagan aerospace :lol: campus for nlc, how was nlc's intake this last january in dawson creek? Heard a little somethin somethin that there was ZERO enrollment. care to comment? Easy answer, it ain't a good career and many people know it so quit trying to blow sunshine up people asses. for the OP, you say you are 40, what are you scared of? You say you have read both threads that are stickied but it sounds like you want to hear that it will be allright, dont worry. am i right? you should be thankful that you have read about the many not so nice experiences many have had. you will never hear that from an instuctor who wants nothing but bodies signed up for his next semester. do what you want but dont say you were not warned.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Can anyone tell me of a career where the starting salary is not low as an apprentice? In aviation or otherwise?

If you want to start a new career expect the salary to be low. Unless you already have experience from a previous career that will allow you to get a higher starting salary. Which probably means it's not unionized.........

It all depends on yourself. If you're willing to work the money will come. Just maybe not right away.

You are your own best investment. Invest wisely.

HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HeavyD »

Hi there. I too have toyed with the idea of aviation structures for more years than I care to remember, and like you I am 40 in the midst of a career change. If you decide not to go ahead with aviation, look into power engineering (boiler operator). It isn't an apprenticeship trade, but one year of classes can get you a 3rd class ticket and 30+ bucks an hour starting wage...not too shabby. Just throwing an option in case you get cold feet about the AME deal.

You can take the man out of P.A.- but you can't take P.A. out of the man!
roncoldlake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by roncoldlake »

There is a couple of trades that pay well starting. The one I took is Power engineering. Now be aware that there is power engineering looking after hotels and hospital boilers systems and then there is oilfield power engineering looking after boiler systems to help in the removal of oil from the ground. I was once a Aircraft Mechanic. 20 years military and then 5 years civilian. And let me first and for most say I do miss aviation. I don't miss management. I miss turning wrenches. There is a big difference and anyone who has spent anytime in the field will attest to that. After being laid off (thank you Top Aces) I enrolled in a Power Engineering course at the local college and have never looked back. I am making 35 dollars an hour 12 hour shifts 5 on 5 off 4 on 4 off. So yes there is a trade that will give you lots of money quickly. But I dont want to live in nothern alberta you say. Camp work. A fair amount of people I work will live in Edmonton, Calgary or even BC and drive or fly in. Another trade that pays well and is in high demand is instrumentation electrical. starting 32 and up to 50 and hour. Food for thought

DBA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DBA »

lamptern wrote:I was about to make up my mind to take a training course which is leading to a technician certificate on AME-s. However, after reading first two sticking posts I found out it is really a tough job. I don't mind to start at $14/hr. But no chance to get rid of night shifts in 10 long years really shocked me. I worked graveyard shift at 7-11 before,
I know what that means. 50k a year is acceptable for me, I just wonder how long does it take to get that. Since I can not find many job openings for AME apprentice (only from Cascade weeks before), I am really worry about finding the first job after graduation.

I am not young any more (a forty year old man who want to switch to a new career). If the life of a AME-S license holder just like a dead end road, I definitely can not afford the cost of my first step.

I like fix things. I want to be a skilled trade people (any job related with skills actually).
Fortunately (unfortunately) I dropped in this forum and I lost my head.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you love your well being, do yourself a favour and do not pursue the AME "career" that you seek. After this coming August, it will be 2 full years where I have been unsuccessful in finding an apprentice position. My AME logbook is completely empty! I have handed out my resume to dozens of hangars in my area and outside the province with no luck whatsoever. I am also doing some flight training and God knows where that's going to lead me.

HINT: Nowhere.

The users you see on the forum who claim everything is all sunny or whatnot are essentially the successful ones who have been in the trade for years or perhaps are the sons or daughters of company owners. Never mind them, because their views are really skewed.

As others have stated, heavy equipmet tech and power engineering are really good options. I'm learning towards the HET personally, but seeing as I do not have the cash at the moment (thank you, aviation), I'll be taking a loan and going to school next year.

I know I sound bitter and all, but hey. I would never suggest an aviation career of any kind to someone with a clear conscience, especially with what I have been through. Just telling it the way it is.

I'm only 22 years old.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

dashx wrote:Can anyone tell me of a career where the starting salary is not low as an apprentice? In aviation or otherwise?

If you want to start a new career expect the salary to be low. Unless you already have experience from a previous career that will allow you to get a higher starting salary. Which probably means it's not unionized.........

It all depends on yourself. If you're willing to work the money will come. Just maybe not right away.

You are your own best investment. Invest wisely.

Perhaps a more accurate question would be "How many trades pay so poorly to those starting out after demanding 18 months and better of 20G before one can be employed?"

Some of the numbers others have stated for entry level pay in other trades is what many experienced ame's hope to make. Many places pay their experienced guys under thirty bucks an hour. The companies mentioned by 212wrench fall into that category, with aerotech being well in that range. This in an area where an entry level house (an actual house, meaning no wheels, hitch, or in a park) is $400G+. And yes, like Pie mentions, they will throw you out on your ass as soon as it suits them, whether they are short of work or just want to make an example to keep the rest scared and inline. The other stuff about being an ame is better than a plumber, hd mech, etc is just ridiculous even if only you consider the wages. I'd like to hear what exactly he sees when comparing the mentioned "worse" trades to lead him to the conclusion that being an ame is better.

To be brutally honest, aviation demands too much in terms of investment, both financially and personally, for what it returns in comparison to most other trades.

That being said, it is apparently much cooler, so that makes it totally worth it. :lol:

Last edited by Pat Richard on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://mindflipbooks.ca/
ame north
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ame north »

I wish i can turn back the time, choosing another career. Got licensed M1&M2 got paid less than 23 an hour, how sad is that? but anyway i am done with that shit

KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

This is the only industry I have heard of where employers feel they are doing you a favor by emloying you, and treat you as such by making you sign training bonds and offering low wages, many times in undesireable locations. Don't like it? They will find someone to take your place. Even though they get no resumes, they still hold on to that line of thought, and the old boys (DOMs, mtce management) compare the industry to when they started, they were making 10 bucks an hour in buttf*** nowhere changing Twin otter engines MacGyver style, and they can't understand why their employees complain, again, everyone should be thankful for what their employer provides them :roll: . The younger generations entering the trade are different, they all seem to lack a sense of urgency and the concept of a deadline is unheard of, but they feel entitled to a wage that scratches the bottom end of a management salary and they are oblivious to the problems they cause people who actually know what they are doing. Pay attention, if someone is always fixing things you already did, or if they call experienced AMEs in to rescue away from base, or do more critical tasks like flight control and engine work while you are onshift, YOU are part of the problem. Should anyone take this on as a second or third career? No way in hell, unless you are so wealthy you don't NEED the income to survive. SMS has made it worse, skill and logic no longer matters as long as SMS reports are filed when something goes wrong. I await the future when it starts raining aluminum more frequently. The pilots always get blamed anyway.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

My last job in Canada I brought in a M1,M2, turbine endorsements and piston experience.

I asked for $25.00 ( a few yrs back now) and the DOM reluctlantly agreed but swore me to secrecy because if the other licenced guys knew they would flip out.

The 3rd and 4th yr appys were getting 17 or 18 and the talk was "when I get my licence I'd better get $20 or I'm leaving."

One bosses yes man did all the releases so why pay anyone more.

Needless to say within a short period of time 2 more green guys were in and I was out.
Not a typical AMO but there are lots like it around.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

KISS_MY_TCAS wrote:This is the only industry I have heard of where employers feel they are doing you a favor by emloying you, and treat you as such by making you sign training bonds and offering low wages, many times in undesireable locations. Don't like it? They will find someone to take your place. Even though they get no resumes, they still hold on to that line of thought, and the old boys (DOMs, mtce management) compare the industry to when they started, they were making 10 bucks an hour in buttf*** nowhere changing Twin otter engines MacGyver style, and they can't understand why their employees complain, again, everyone should be thankful for what their employer provides them :roll: . The younger generations entering the trade are different, they all seem to lack a sense of urgency and the concept of a deadline is unheard of, but they feel entitled to a wage that scratches the bottom end of a management salary and they are oblivious to the problems they cause people who actually know what they are doing. Pay attention, if someone is always fixing things you already did, or if they call experienced AMEs in to rescue away from base, or do more critical tasks like flight control and engine work while you are onshift, YOU are part of the problem. Should anyone take this on as a second or third career? No way in hell, unless you are so wealthy you don't NEED the income to survive. SMS has made it worse, skill and logic no longer matters as long as SMS reports are filed when something goes wrong. I await the future when it starts raining aluminum more frequently. The pilots always get blamed anyway.
longjon wrote:My last job in Canada I brought in a M1,M2, turbine endorsements and piston experience.

I asked for $25.00 ( a few yrs back now) and the DOM reluctlantly agreed but swore me to secrecy because if the other licenced guys knew they would flip out.

The 3rd and 4th yr appys were getting 17 or 18 and the talk was "when I get my licence I'd better get $20 or I'm leaving."

One bosses yes man did all the releases so why pay anyone more.

Needless to say within a short period of time 2 more green guys were in and I was out.
Not a typical AMO but there are lots like it around.
+1

IMO, a very accurate descriptions of the mentalities at work in aviation in Canada right now, in particular the arrogant attitude amongst DOM's threatening experienced guys with none existent piles of resumes' . It boils down to lack of respect and that they are doing us a favor by letting us work on airplanes, you know, the for your pleasure "We operate a varied and diverse fleet" listed in the + section of most job ad's. Anybody who has been around the block a few times knows this to mean they have minimum parts inventory and hardly any specialized tooling/equipment to support the diversity. One would most likely be expected to git 'r done as MacGyver would. I've seen this encouraged, practiced, and rewarded by dom's/production managers at more than a few places.

Management loves ame heroes.

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

The two sticky threads should be not stickied and do not represent this occupation.

It's a good job. And yes it can be a career.

I see no reason once licenced you cannot make 23ish. Most college grads get 16.

Within 5-10 years you get 25-30.

This site is full of doom and gloom. While all of us have our low moments but Aviation jobs are not worst out there.

Just stay away from the little operators and the scales are more regular and consistent.

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

The two sticky threads should be not stickied and do not represent this occupation.

It's a good job. And yes it can be a career.

I see no reason once licenced you cannot make 23ish. Most college grads get 16.

Within 5-10 years you get 25-30.

Ha ha ha, sarcasm, gotta love it. :lol:

You're kidding, right??

KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

brownbear, I seriously hope you're joking. It has been MANY years since I was even near a wage as low as 30/hour, and if that was all that was offered to me today I would be working in another industry. You keep reaching for those stars.

Return to “Maintenance”