Anybody take Aircraft Maintenance Category M at BCIT?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DaisyMaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Anybody take Aircraft Maintenance Category M at BCIT?

Post by DaisyMaker »

You do realize as an AME you still have to purchase your own tools? There are jobs for helicopter AMEs, just have to look for them. It’s a really great job for young single people. Make a lot of money. Spend weeks in bush camps or flying out to wherever to do inspections and fix snags. Probably lots of firefighting done with the helos. Could probably travel all over the world in this career path

The downside is that it can be a bad life for a married person especially with children because he’s away half the time or more. Meaning gone for weeks. So if you go that route, and think you want a family some day and want to actually spend time with them, Don’t spend all your money. Save some of it. Be prepared that you might have to switch out of the helicopter work to fixed wing to have good family life.

I suppose it also depends on what company you’re with and their maintenance practices.
---------- ADS -----------

Dongo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dongo »

Realism_767 wrote:I am planning on taking the AME program at SAIT in the fall of 2018 and wanted to know your thoughts regarding a career as an AME.( job prospects as an apprentice) My first option was to take the Heavy Duty mechanic course but after researching(due to cost of purchasing ones own tool set) decided to take AME. I know most likely will haveto move outof the city to gain experience but what really interest me is the opportunity to travel aroundwhen working on helicopters. Sorry for the long post
Go for it. I thought about going the heavy duty route too, ended up in helicopters. Lots of travel and international work if you are so inclined. You will not make as much as a heavy duty in an entire year, that is for sure, but you get paid more per hrs worked in a year once you have 5 or so yrs of experience. Aim for the West Coast, heli logging, or in BC or alberta on mediums some where if you like traveling. I've Worked a 2 and 2 since I got out of school, no way I would do any other rotation after seeing what other heli engineers are required to work. Large Helicopters Like the ones I work on have most of there tools with the machine where ever it goes, us engineers have the basic hand tools we own in a small case or bag, I've spent hardly anything on tools compared to fixed wing/ rotary hangar guys who fill up a snap on tool box.

Dongo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dongo »

I would like to also add, like the guy above me posted, always be prepared to find a job that allows you to be home everynight down the road. 2 and 2 is great, but I don't have a family yet. Lots of guys I work with find being away for 2 weeks away from their children the toughest, while other guys see it as a break for 2 weeks, everybody is different. I myself think I will find something that allows me to be home more often when I start a family, but that's still 5 yrs down the road.

Return to “Maintenance”