Foreign Licence Conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Foreign Licence Conversion

Post by lis »

Hi Team,

Hoping for some confirmations on converting a licence.

Have Australian AME (Rotary) licence and Certificate IV trade certificate. Going to convert to a Canadian M1 licence, however the work visa we hope to apply for also requires a Trade Certificate.

From what we can find/anyone we have spoken to, there is no trade certificate in Canada for an AME? Licence only?

Thanks
Lis
---------- ADS -----------

booboo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Foreign Licence Conversion

Post by booboo »

Hi Lis,

I was previously employed by Transport Canada Civil Aviation as a Civil Aviation Safety Inspector and I worked for the department that was responsible for AME licensing and training. I routinely handled inquiries from foreign applicants on license conversions so think I can help.

With respect to your specific question: “From what we can find/anyone we have spoken to, there is no trade certificate in Canada for an AME? Licence only?” The short answer is generally no but yes there is...sort of.

Firstly, it is important to consider that that, except in very specific and limited circumstances, an AME license is required to sign a maintenance release for work performed on an aircraft or any of its associated component parts or systems.

You need to understand the difference between a provincial trade certification and federally issued license. Trade certifications (e.g plumber, carpenter, auto mechanic etc) are issued under the authority of a provincial statute (e.g. Ontario, Quebec, Alberta etc are Provinces, each with its own legislative assembly) and typically require a mix of eduction and experience requirements to be met by an applicant and usually require some form of official apprenticeship period. An AME license is under the authority of section 403.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, which regulations are issued under the authority of the Federal Aeronautics Act. In that respect it is a federally regulated license that is valid in all provinces.

That being said, Transport Canada permits an Approved Maintenance Organization (AMO) to issue (internal) Shop Certifying Authorities (SCA) to unlicensed technicians to perform and certify maintenance work that is usually performed on components (e.g aircraft interiors) while these are off-aircraft but can also be used to certify work performed on components installed on the aircraft, provided that the final release of all of the work performed on the aircraft is affected by the holder of an AME license, or, in the case or work performed by an AMO, the holder of an Aircraft Certifying Authority (ACA) issued by the AMO to the holder of an AME license.

Depending on your foreign trade occupation, there may be several aircraft maintenance related occupational certifications that you could potentially qualify for or acquire, which could form the basis upon which an aircraft maintenance organization could issue to you an SCA to sign for some work that is performed on components or in some cases, on aircraft. In theory, as a short term solution, you could acquire one of those trade certifications to enable you to immigrate to Canada (assuming that it is acceptable to Citizenship and Immigration Canada) and subsequently obtain your AME license afterwords.

There is no actual conversion program available to convert a foreign license to a Canadian license but there is a process by which you can obtain a Canadian license based on your foreign training and experience. See section 566.07 of Chapter 566 of the Airworthiness Manual (equivalent to Part 66 licensing requirements) by following this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 66-259.htm

There is a lot more to this of course but I do not want to write a novel here. If you would like more specific guidance on how you could obtain a Canadian license (while in Australia) please feel free to message me directly. I would be happy to provide some assistance.

Regards,

manub787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by manub787 »

hi there

I hold an INDIAN DGCA AME Lincence & working as Senior Aircraft Maintenance Engineer ( Line Maintenance Division ) with International Airlines from more than 10yrs. My role involves maintenance of Aircraft in Avionics field & handling arrival departures on Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Boeing 777-200LR / 300ER, and Boeing 747- 400.

I am looking for information regarding my Indian DGCA AME Licence Recognition in Canada to work as AME in Canada. I have already gone through section 566.07 of Chapter 566 of the Airworthiness Manual for Licencing
procedure but couldn't find appropriate form/produce to apply for conversion. Please let me know the procedure & whether i need to pass any Exams in Canada for the conversion.

Thanks in advance
Manu

fersuarez
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fersuarez »

Hello BOOBOO can you message me? I have some doubts regarding your experience in TC. thanks

Return to “Maintenance”