On holding more than one license...

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: On holding more than one license...

Post by SeptRepair »

I know a few guys who used to be B, D and P. They are all still alive.
---------- ADS -----------

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

I know a couple people with an M2/E combo. I believe they got their E license as per the normal route of school then time and tasks then license, and then a couple years down the road did the M2 as more/less a side project while employed as an E. I know one did it by just doing M schooling through correspondence and logging any M tasks they partook in as they came up, until eventually having enough to go get M2 added to their license.

It's not that common, but it is doable and depending what corner of the industry your in can be quite useful to have. If you read CARs there is nothing saying you can't have more than one license. You can have M2 and an E, M1 and an S, M2 and an S and an E, and on it goes.

The only "catch" that is explained in CARs is if you have both an M1 and an M2, then you get a free S and E (I believe they won't show on our license or be issued to you, they just automatically count if you have M1/M2). I'm not sure on the M1 side of things but for an M1/M2 engineer working in the M2 world, the S and E privileges only count for aircraft which they have ACA/type course on, and obviously within the limits of the AMO.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I am M1 and M2 and thus have both my E and and S endorsements. I use my S endorsement for our Structures category at our General Aviation AMO under my ACA. We have no avionics capabilities, and I have no avionics experience, so my E will remain dormant...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
arcticheliwrench
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arcticheliwrench »

If you read the back of your licence M1 or M2 "include ...structures..." FWIW

So possibilities:

M1
M2
M1/M2
M1/E
M2/E
S

????

But really, as an M1/M2 one can not do specialized avionics or structural work unless approved by the AMO. The regs allow it sure, but unless you are qualified under the AMO it doesn't mean much.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Possible combinations:

M1
M2
E
S

M1/E, M2/E
M1/S, M2/S
M1/E/S, M2/E/S
M1/M2

And finally, you can add a B rating to any of the above including the M1/M2

TC won't permit previous time to a new rating but the required time is different. You still have to show 70% of tasks in your logbook applicable to the rating.

For clarification talk to your local tc rep.

arcticheliwrench
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arcticheliwrench »

Ah yes. The Balloon rating!

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

You forgot E/S

Popol
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Popol »

I always wondered, if you have m2/m1, can you get an avionics ACA without a type course?

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

I always wondered, if you have m2/m1, can you get an avionics ACA without a type course?
Yes, but the AMO will have to prove to Transport that you are 'qualified' to certify that maintenance.
This may be with specific training to do a specific task. (It will have to be documented.)

turbodak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by turbodak »

I have had a license for quite some time now! and have been endorsed in many catagories. If you were licensed in structures or avionics prior to 2000 you would have recieved a historical document that you can use to prove you ability to meet ACA for those catagories. It is correct that once you recieve M1 and M2 you will not have any other endorsement on your license! I have M1 and M2 now but also have S ACA do to the document issued to me during 2000. I do not have the ability to certify special tasks in the E catagory but I do have the ability to release the work that was done by an E engineer SCA verse ACA, depending on the scope of the work an appropriately rated M engineer will have to release the aircraft when completed.
Example: S engineer does a repair to an aircraft, the aircraft had to be opened to allow for the repairs to be completed, by this being done it means an M must release the aircraft, the S would release the task!! If this was a part of an aircraft sitting on the bench the S would then release the task and the M would then release the aircraft when the part is installed.
The good thing about having multiple ratings, is that it allows you to release everything in one signature.

The problem that I see is those whom receive a M1, M2 and also qualify for S or E licenses after the 2000 will have a hard time showing why or how they qualify in those catagories (this is because TC does not issue the historical records after that), I guess if you want you could receive your S or E first and get the license then retain that as proof for ACA??

The license system was changed to meet the needs of the industry! It allowed a newcomer to reach a position of ACA quicker and for more (larger groups)! The old guys with the experience and the license to prove it lost, all rating were removed and as far as the piece of plastic was concerned we were the same as a someone out of school and 30 month of apprenticeship completed. The only thing that made us different was the historical record issued to us!

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Seems a lot of people are talking through their hats. I have an M2 and have had for 25 years. I also have an E license and have had that for 20 years more or less. Transport keeps renewing my M2/E no problem.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Unless I'm forgetting how old I am, I don't think anybody has held the current version of an M2 for 25 years.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Seems a lot of people are talking through their hats.
Actually I think that was only me palebird...everyone has agreed with what you just said.

It's the M1/M2/E combination that TC won't issue.

coldandwet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by coldandwet »

The real crappy part of this is when you are applying for jobs... I have had my M1/M2 for many years... use to be A4,A6 I believe and have been doing avionics since graduation in 1988, hold multiple type avionics courses and was turned down on a job because they wanted an E guy.. so the person hired was involved in one heavy check out of school.. not bitter but have had this fight with TC before and feel it is unfair as most companies want to see the E rating especially overseas... now the gut they hired did his ICS course and now holds am M2 ... oh well, time is just about up for my career but as I get older finding a nice cushy E job would be nice to ride out the end..

Return to “Maintenance”