Avionic "Career Exploration"

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MigGall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Avionic "Career Exploration"

Post by MigGall »

Hey guys I'm looking for some help.
I was accepted into school this fall for Avionics and now the fun part begins, trying to afford it. I am currently working on getting funding and part of it I have to do a "Career Exploration" wherein I call up the people who handle the hiring in this field and ask them a few simple questions (i.e. "What's a typical day like", "What do you look for in a potential employee"). The only problem is that I really don't want to start cold calling companies and just be generally annoying. I was hoping that maybe some of you might know how to get in contact with these kind of people / are the people to ask. Anyone who could help me out in anyway would be greatly appreciated and I would be forever in your debt! :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Avionic "Career Exploration"

Post by acidgambit »

What area do you live in? You can simply just walk into a company and just ask them right there. For example: If Avcanada airlines have a base around your place, just simply walk in there. Talk to the front desk lady and explain to her that you have this "Career Exploration" thing that you have to do for school and is there a person that you may talk to?

Just be polite. All will be good.

She might refer you to a production manager, chief engineer, base manager, or the director of maintenance. Ask them face to face. It'll be much better.

Good luck.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

I did exactly what you did.....and I got my funding.

The best thing to do is to email the various employers and ask for people you can contact about avionics career advice. Then you can then email them directly instead. This way you can print out the responses and bring it along to your meeting with the sponsor crowd.

I had done all this before I first sat down with my potential sponsor. I had used the governments labor market website and also had all of my correspondence with employers and other employees. I remember she was blown away because most people they deal with do not have anything in place. That extra initiative went a long way towards getting me approved. Do your homework, which brings me to my next bit of advice. Keep reading.

My advice though......if you do not get funded, do not proceed with avionics career (see this thread why: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 27&t=66112) & this thread (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 27&t=68113) But that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Don't listen to the threads here.

Do your own investigation and ask Avionics Techs not M's that are working in the field. 99% of them don't post on here.

If you're excited about aviation and willing to put forth the effort and take some lumps along the way...you'll do just fine.

There're tons of opportunities in avionics in Canada and lots of different avenues to explore throughout your career.

Don't get caught up in the doom and gloom that some have. Keep a positive attitude and never continue to do something you don't like doing.

Don't let lack of funding keep you from what you're wanting to do...find a way.

Good Luck!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

NeverBlue wrote:Don't listen to the threads here.
:lol: I guess that means he shouldn't listen to that!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

:lol:

MigGall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MigGall »

acidgambit wrote:What area do you live in? You can simply just walk into a company and just ask them right there.
I'm from a pretty small city and I've already talked the the local regional airline but thanks for the advice!
Thanks everyone I'll start sending out emails to the others, no idea why I never thought of emailing until you guys brought it up!

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Yup
Negative and Positive....pick on the positive one.

See what I mean MigGall? :wink:

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

That's right...only ever listen to positive comments because anything else, regardless of how true it is, is the devil trying to lead you away from the light.

Only positive, remember that. Anything else evil.
:rolleyes:

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Thank you Pat

... that's not what I said...but as usual, thank you for proving my point
:D

I rest...