Class2 prep

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Vlakvark
Rank 1
Rank 1

Class2 prep

Post by Vlakvark »

I have just been told to renew my class3, I would need to do a flight test again. So I figure I might as well study for the class2. Any prep books or help would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

AvconsultantON
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Class2 prep

Post by AvconsultantON »

Class II instructor ride is an evaluation of your ability to provide Class II standard instruction and ability to supervise. Polish up your PGI's, make sure they address the 7 learning factors effectively. Also, at this stage, developmental teaching should be used. YOU ask the questions and have the student provide you with the answers and build the lesson around their threshold knowledge, filling in the gaps along the way. Also, remember a Class II instructor is a supervisory position, you need to effectively develop a method on how you plan to supervise at your FTU. Refer to CAR Standards 421.63 (supervising instructor duties) and you can't go wrong!

PM me if you have any questions or need any further guidance.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

The Sharper Edge book, while far from perfect, is a good place to start. I would seriously fact-check everything to make sure that you get the information correct. But, it is really well laid out and gives you an idea on how to go about preparing for the AIRAF exam. You could also try out PilotTraining.ca for the Instructor Rating course to help prep for the written.

With regards to the flight test, I would start with the flight test guide. Do a thorough reading of the Class 2 instructor standard. Try to see where you stand against that and work on improving from there. Lesson planning based on the TC FIG Section 3 or your FTU's lesson plans would be another thing I would really work on understanding. TC loves the Mission Objective on the start of each of the TC FIG lesson plans. Make sure that you go over those in detail as well.

I have heard people swear by the Pultz Flight Instructor Manual, but have not used it personally and hence can't comment any further. But when one of those people is a former TC inspector who is also a PE for Class 1 instructor ratings, I will definitely say it must be worth it.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

As you can see from the Instructor rating flight test guide assessment criteria there are higher expectations for all parts of the test for a class 2 vs a Class 3, so I would recommend doing a good review of all of your lessons plans and cleaning them up so you can do a nice tight PGI. Tuning up the hands and feet should also be part of the preparation so you can do a strong demonstration of any manoever in the air.

The obvious difference moving from a 3 to a 2 is the supervision requirements for Class 4's and the fact that you can be appointed as CFI. Therefore I would advise you not only know what the supervision requirements are but also how you would mentor a new Class 4 ( eg Instructor Joe comes to you and says student Bill can't seem to get the hang of landing and he is not progressing, what should I do ?).

With a new shiny Class 2 you could be immediately hired as the CFI of a large flight school. Therefore you need to review CAR 426.22 and be able to explain how you would go about exercising all of the responsibilities listed in the CAR standard.

Finally a pet peeve CAR's, while a very imperfect and frustrating document, is nevertheless the rule book that governs flying operations. I find it very frustrating when I find many instructors don't have a clue about what is in the regs. I don't mean memorize the CAR's but you should understand the difference between a CAR and a standard and have a general idea of the layout of the CAR's. In any case a Class 2 should IMO have a pretty good general knowledge of what is in CAR Part 4 and Part 6

Return to “Flight Training”