Learning SOP's for the first time

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

autocoarsen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Learning SOP's for the first time

Post by autocoarsen » Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm starting a new gig in about 2 weeks on a two crew aircraft, coming from the instructor world. I've been given Company/Airplane SOP's and i'm looking for tips on the best way to get them stuck in the melon. There are specific CPT/FO memory items that will be just reading and re-reading, but what about the PF and PNF specific memory items, what did you all do to prepare.

I have two weeks off and will be dedicating most of my days to this book, i'd like to know these SOP's cold before steping foot into the classroom, and that will be a whole other firehose to guzzle. Any study tips you would recommend or wished you practiced would be appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Learning SOP's for the first time

Post by Grey_Wolf » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am

Honestly, it's proper repetition that will get them stuck in your melon. If you have access to a 'paper/glass trainer' then use it. Ditto for someone at the company that knows them, and can sit down with you to practice. Also, observing a 2 crew environment can help.

Another way to learn them, is finding out why the SOP are written the way they are. For example calling what you see on the screen of a PFD, calling out the change.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Learning SOP's for the first time

Post by Hilroy » Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Sit in your car and make the moves like you were in the cockpit.

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.

Return to “Flight Training”