To become a bush pilot in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rider74
Rank 0
Rank 0

To become a bush pilot in Canada

Post by rider74 »

Hi there,
My name is Camille and I'm a french guy of 23 years old. I'm currently finishing my Master in Aeronautical Maintenance, in apprenticeship at Dassault Aviation. I'm done with the quick presentation :) !

I started my PPL 6 months ago and absolutely felt in love with piloting. I always have been very interesting into moving to Canada for living because of the amount of lost places, and the variety of the landscapes.
I'm searching about information reporting to bush piloting school as I would like to come to Canada in 2016 to pass my CPL on floatplane. Always interested by nature, simple way of life, mechanic, DIY, and photography, the bush-pilot job seems to be a perfect solution for me.

I've contacted a guy who past his CPL in Sudbury Aviation and was very happy with his formation but he told me that this school is not providing courses anymore.
He told me to look arround British Columbia to find my happiness, that is the reason of my post.

Do you know any good school to pass my professional licence on float plane ? I would like to start arround april 2016, after the winter. I would like to know the cost of the formation even if I think I can pass the whole licence with approx. 30 000-40 000$ but maybe I'm wrong. Is it possible to pass it within a bush season?

Hoping that I will find someone to help me, I would be also very happy to talk to ex, or actual bush-pilote to have some specific informations.
Cheers

Camille
---------- ADS -----------

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: To become a bush pilot in Canada

Post by Meddler »

Hart air might do that. Google will help. You need to be legal to work here. It's not a "simple way of life".

rider74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rider74 »

By "simple way of life" I meant to be close to the nature, feel a little bit of freedom and do concrete actions. I'm aware this is not an easy job.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

As stated above before looking into a course you need to know if you are legally allowed to work in Canada which will be the hardest part

Kaptene
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kaptene »

since you have your ppl, I think you can afford the rest of your training with less than 30,000 CAD if you are smart enough...you probably should work your immigration stuff because it will help you.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I think you can afford the rest of your training with less than 30,000 CAD if you are smart enough
I don't know... I have spent a whole lot more than $30,000, and been flying for about four decades, and I have yet to finish the rest of my training. I think if a fresh wheels PPL applied $30,000 to becoming trained and experienced in bush flying, that would be a good thing!

To Rider, I very highly recommend Lake Country Airways, 1.5 hour's drive north of Toronto. They train on both wheels and floats, and are very experienced.

http://www.lakecountryairways.ca/

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Camille,
Good luck with your training and licencing! Make sure that you have fun doing it.

I'd guess that many people share your dreams of 'Bush Flying in Canada' - heck, many of us here still have it or live it!

BUT, for many foreigners, that dream falls apart when it comes time to deal with Canadian immigration requirements. Moving here is possible, but can be difficult - I'd recommend that you spend some time looking into that facet of coming here before you get too into your dreams of being here.

Bonne Chance!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by matt foley »

As a Citizen of France, if this is the case, you will be dealing with Quebec immigration not Canadian Imigration. Don't get me started on this but you will have a much easier time than your friends in Germany or Australia would. Good luck.

MF

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Try to build all your time tailwheel and float, fresh PPLs who got their license the standard trike gear blah blah blah methods are a dime a dozen.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rider,

Like the other posters said above get as much float time as you can- do the whole license on floats if you can.

Your English seems to be pretty good, but I would encourage you to have the best English you possibly can.

Return to “Flight Training”