Cornwall Aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cornwall Aviation

Post by mathias_now »

Hello,

I am looking to do my MIFR in the spring and looking at going to Cornwall Aviation. I have used the search function but found most of the info out of date. Could anyone who has been there's within a year please tell me about your experience and quality of training.

Thanks

MN
---------- ADS -----------

Alberta_x51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Cornwall Aviation

Post by Alberta_x51 »

I recently renewed a rating with Cornwall. I can tell you that at other schools
it was difficult to get an instructor who was available when I was ready.

I knew of them decades ago and I regret not going there sooner.

The numbers of rides done at Cornwall are a significant percentage
of all the rides done in Canada. I don't recall the number, but is probably
the largest of any organization in Canada.

Happy to speak to you or via PM if you want more info.

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

I definitely recommend Cornwall Aviation for training. They were very professional and work on your schedule. If upgrading or renewing they can accommodate you on short notice. You also won't experience the airplane going down for maintenance for weeks at a time as they have 3 seminoles available enabling you to complete your ride in a short period of time. My upgrade from a Group III to a Group I took me 4 hours from the time I walked in the door to the time I walked out of the door. They aren't out there to hose students for hours like some schools are.

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

Thanks for the info. Most of what I have found has been good. The only exception was one post saying that a lot of focus is put into gps so some people were having trouble with their ppc rides.

How long would it take to get a guy with a multi rating through the ifr? The reason I ask is because I will be coming from out of town and will need to budget for that.

MN

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

It all depends how well you prepare and how well you can get through things. Would suggest getting your INRAT done and then call them up. Multi is all about the systems and the actually flying of a twin. The group 1 just makes sure you can fly it within an IFR environment. These days is GPS and ILS, you'll still do a NDB approach in their syllabus but its a zippy program that doesn't have your time wasted like they do farther north.

The onus is on you to be prepared or you'll end up spending time and money.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

About 8 hours in the simulator and 8 hours in the airplane.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I had a great experience there! I finished my MIFR in 4 days out there. Also had all my SIM hours done prior to going so it was all just airplane flying. They accomidated me and helped me get it done ASAP! I needed it done in 7 days and they crushed it. This was also 8 years ago :p

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

Thanks for your replies.

What is a school going to say when you tell them you only plan to do the sim portion of the instrument rating with them? Is two to three sim sessions per weekend enough to be profient for the flight component when it comes time?

MN

Last edited by mathias_now on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

They have a program for people to come in and just bang out a multi or multi and IFR. I'm sure they will gladly take your business. I suggest actually going and taking a nice long sim session to gauge what your areas of improvement. The more you fly or sim the easier it will be to get your stuff done.

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I had a generally good experience there in the spring. A couple negatives, their method of scheduling is organized chaos. I've never seen a school before that throws together a schedule for the next day the night before. Also the accomodation they provide is very sub standard. I would strongly reccomend finding somewhere else to stay if you go. They have a couple local people that take students in so ask about that.

I was very happy with the planes and the instructors and I was in and out in 2 weeks.

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

My question was more regarding a school to do sim at prior to arriving at Cornwall. I work a Monday to Friday job and will only have weekends until I take a week or two off to hammer it out.

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

Duffman wrote:... Also the accomodation they provide is very sub standard. I would strongly reccomend finding somewhere else to stay if you go. They have a couple local people that take students in so ask about that.
That's Cornhole for ya.

flying farmer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flying farmer »

My experience with Cornwall was great, mind you a few years ago now. I did appreciate the booking system being the day before as I could adjust what i needed accordingly. Most of the students there were full time so it made the most sense. As for lodging I found it to be ok. It was arranged by the school, not provided. It was clean and comfortable, not the Ritz mind you, but very affordable. Overall I would recommend them to anyone. On time, under budget, and super friendly.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Duffman wrote:Also the accomodation they provide is very sub standard. I would strongly reccomend finding somewhere else to stay if you go. They have a couple local people that take students in so ask about that.
If I recall correctly, the accommodations were $20 a night. I stayed at their crash pad for a night when I was ferrying a plane to MB. It was worth the $20 ... no more, no less.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Firebird67
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Firebird67 »

I recommend Cornwall for ifr, you want to learn from some one with experience and that's pretty much all they do, I trained there and was vary happy with my experience. They also have housing during your training available

Return to “Flight Training”