Time to Complete Instrument Rating?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

How Much Time/Month?

1 Week (MARCH)
No votes
1 Week (APRIL)
9%
1 Week (MAY)
No votes
2 Weeks (MARCH)
No votes
2 Weeks (APRIL)
18%
2 Weeks (MAY
18%
3 Weeks (MARCH)
18%
3 Weeks (APRIL)
9%
3 Weeks (MAY)
No votes
MORE
27%

Total votes: 11

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Time to Complete Instrument Rating?

Post by mathias_now »

Hello,

I am looking at competing the instrument rating this spring to hit the hiring season and am hoping the users on avcanada could offer some advice.

1) What would be the best month to complete the rating weather wise? (March, April or May)

2) How much time should I budget to get it done on a full-time basis? (Multi already in hand)

3) With oil prices and lay-offs how likely is a low timer to get a job this spring? :shock:

Thank you,

MN
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by mathias_now on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Time to Complete Instrument Rating?

Post by imac0960 »

Depending how much instrument time you currently have and how proficient you are you can normally get it done in a week if you go full tilt.

Jobs are out there for those who look hard for them. Chances are as your first job you won't be flying MIFR. That's not to say it's impossible.

The month to complete training depends on your location. Here in Northern Ontario it's currently -30 without the wind chill. So if I was to jump into a small plane I would want it to be much warmer. I completed my ride in December and the heater wasn't too bad but it wasn't great either.

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

Deleted

Last edited by mathias_now on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

Should be able to do it in less than a week if the weather co-operates.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

I'll get killed here. I know it. But.
Do your initial IFR in a single. Unless you have something lined up.
Then, do the twin type check.
If, like so many here, your first gig is a ramp job, blowing all your $$$ on a MIFR is a total waste.
If I was hiring for a ramp someplace ( put a bullet through my head) why would I treat a SIFR any differently than a MIFR?
Just a thought, but guys getting initial IFR ratings on twins, then staying on the ground for a year forget everything anyway. A SIFR keeps all your exams current.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

The only difference between a MIFR and a SIFR is:

Max power
Gear up, flap up
Identify (dead foot, dead engine)
Verify (throttle back on the dead Inez)
Feather
Trim
Checklist

Oh, and at least an extra 100$ an hour.
And, your instructor gets to log MPIC.....which is why you're training in a twin in the first place.
Illya

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I agree with you Illya and I tried to do the same thing but in my experience nobody would look at me unless I already had the group 1 on my license. I'm not really sure why but nobody wants to hire a pilot without the group 1 even if a PPC would upgrade his IFR to the group 1 anyway.

When I only had the group 3 on my license I got lots of interest from operators wanting me to fly PC12s and Vans but it wasn't until I had the group 1 printed on my license that I was able to get a job on a twin.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

As soon as you do a ride on a PC12 or a Van, your group 1 becomes toast. You go to a group 3 anyway. So, if you're looking at a Van job, you've wasted a bucket of money. Silly system.
Illya

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

deleted

Last edited by mathias_now on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esp803

Post by esp803 »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:As soon as you do a ride on a PC12 or a Van, your group 1 becomes toast
I'm reasonably confident that this statement is bogus. I've done a Caravan ride while having a group 1, and the next day gone and flew a King air or twotter.
Illya Kuryakin wrote:Do your initial IFR in a single. Unless you have something lined up.

I agree in principle, but in practice:
Duffman wrote:nobody would look at me unless I already had the group 1 on my license.
If I was in a position of hiring, I would would consider the merits of a group 3 to be on par with a group 1, come to think of it, the engine failure in a group 3 ride takes considerably more skill than a group 1 ride. This is very similar to the debate (might not be a debate, mostly in my head) that MPIC is INFINITELY more valuable than SPIC. I don't get it. I'd rather have a guy with 5000hrs of SPIC and 2hrs mpic from his ride as a skipper then someone with 500mpic and a pulse, perhaps this is why I have never been put in charge of hiring. The only point when that extra engine requires extra training is a cut roughly at V1. Perhaps we should add a couple new columns to the typical logbook:

Single Engine time in a Multi Engine Aircraft

and

# of engine failures

To answer the original quesitons:

1) Depends on where you are, but I'd go with the May end of things
2) Depends how much IFR practice you have, the more, the quicker.
3) Depends on your definition of a job. Flying a multi-turbine for a reputable operator in the right seat, slim. flying a single engine float plane, slim. Working for a reputable company in a non flying position, good. Working for a shady operator in any position, probable.

E

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

esp803, if you renew your IFR in a single, your group 1 (assuming here, you have one) reverts to a group 3. You can do a VFR PPC in a single with no effect on your groupe 1. Hope that clears it up.
Illya

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Interesting,

I did do an IFR Caravan PPC, perhaps they didn't renew my IFR at the time due to it being a valid Group 1 for the next year or so?

E

justwanttofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by justwanttofly »

mathias_now wrote:Would you recommend someone with around 1000hrs get the group 3 vs group 1?

MN

Mathias,

I would suggest doing the group 1 due to the lack of PC12 operators looking for FOs. A few years back when Airsprint had a bunch I would say go for the group 3.

Best of luck!

Return to “Flight Training”