Pre-Solo Nervousness?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

KDewald
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pre-Solo Nervousness?

Post by KDewald »

Hello everyone!

I'm currently earning my PPL at a school in Alberta as part of the commercial pilot program. I'm at the point where I'm suppose to solo, my solo flight is scheduled for 11 tomorrow. The problem is I was suppose to solo last Wednesday but I failed my check ride and had to do extra practice.
My circuits are great, my approaches are great, the problem was I would round out too high, flare to fast or release my flare too soon and end up landing hard. My flights before were fine, I don't know if it was just nervousness or maybe it would be since weather had delayed my solo for weeks, because I had already flown 2 hours that day or since the weather was 20 degrees warmer than most of my other lessons.
The problem is now I'm a lot more nervous. I'm terrified I'll fail my check ride again. I did 3 more hours of practice and my instructor thinks I'm ready but my landings are still a bit rough, I always seem to mess something up. But I know what to do, I have a 4.0GPA in my classes, I can answer and questions my instructors ask me no problem, I can describe when to round out and flare but I can't seem to do it. All of the guys in my class (I'm the only girl) did their solos with a lot less practice lessons, they are always way more confident than me.

Do you guys have an advice for getting over my nervousness and successfully soloing tomorrow?
---------- ADS -----------

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pre-Solo Nervousness?

Post by Chaxterium »

I may be confused. What possible check ride could you be doing before your first solo? Do you mean something like a Progress Review?

Anyway, you have to do your best to forget about your failed check ride. Take what you can from it, learn from it, but then let it go. I failed a check ride years ago. I learned more from that experience than from all the check rides I've passed, combined. It was a huge hit to my ego and confidence, but I know that I am a better pilot now because of that experience.

As far as landing, it is very much a "feel" thing. I remember when I went through my initial training I'd have a couple weeks where every landing was almost perfect, but then I'd go through some weeks where I felt like I would never be able to land a plane. It comes and goes. I've been flying transport category planes for 7 years now and it still happens.

Just remember that you will improve. You're still in the infancy of learning to fly. Right now every item you have to learn seems like a gigantic task but eventually it will all become as normal as breathing.

I hope this has helped in some way. Best of luck with your first solo.

KDewald
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by KDewald »

What I mean by check ride is we have to do 3 perfect circuits with the CFI before we solo.

Thank you for the encouragement. I can see my past failure as a learning experience, but I still really hope it doesn't happen again. I can't wait to get to the point where it's all as normal as breathing, I think that would make my flights a lot less stressful and more enjoyable.
Thanks for your encouragement!

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Dear K,

Try not to get too nervous tomorrow - it kind of sounds like you might be putting too much pressure on yourself and sabotaging your own confidence. I find it interesting that you mentioned that you're the only woman in your class and that the men seemed to have more confidence. I too found that I seemed to not have the self-confidence that for the guys came so easily. I'm not sure if it's nature or nurture, but I would venture to say that there are a lot more timid women than timid men.

So here's what I want you to do tomorrow - take a few minutes just before your flight and find a quiet place to be alone. Then I want you to think about the fact that if your instructor is even suggesting that you do your pre-solo check he must think that you are capable of flying that aircraft without his help. Trust your instructor! Then I want you to say to yourself "I am a good pilot - I can fly the aircraft safely on my own". And don't just say it once, say it several times.

After that, when you are flying on your own, if you don't like your approach, just remember that you are a good and safe pilot, and that good and safe pilots know when to come around and try it again. You don't need to get it perfect every time, just be safe and make good decisions.

That applies to those 3 "perfect circuits" you mentioned, too. Your instructor isn't actually isn't looking for perfection, he's looking for competency and good decision making. Even if it takes you longer to solo, you'll get there in the end!

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

And this is why it is a good idea for instructors to not tell students in advance that they will be soloing.

Let them know they are getting close - besides students know that when circuit training starts, the next step is solo. Go out with the intention of doing more dual circuits, and when it is clear everything is going well, give them the speech, and off they go.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

7ECA wrote:And this is why it is a good idea for instructors to not tell students in advance that they will be soloing.

Let them know they are getting close - besides students know that when circuit training starts, the next step is solo. Go out with the intention of doing more dual circuits, and when it is clear everything is going well, give them the speech, and off they go.
Too true, 7ECA. When I was close to solo, the paperwork on my medical was slow in coming, so the doc phoned and asked if I wanted it faxed. I knew that I couldn't solo without it, so I told him there was no rush (I was terrified at the thought of soloing!) My instructor overheard and had the doc fax it to him on the sly. Then after a few circuits (during which I was relatively relaxed because I knew I was "safe" from being sent solo), my instructor told me to stop the aircraft and proceeded to get out. I told him, "You can't send me solo, I don't have the paperwork from my medical back yet..." (somewhat smugly I must admit). "There ya go..." he replied and tossed it on the seat next to me, I think he also said something encouraging at that time, but I don't recall the exact words because I was distracted by my pounding heart. As I lifted into the air on that first solo circuit I hollered at the top of my lungs, "There is no one in this aircraft but me!!!"

Good times

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I think having the big boss come with you to solo you instead of being cut lose by your own "regular" instructor is not helping you out.

As for your landings themselves, the first question I would ask someone having difficulty landing is where are you looking when you start pulling back during the flare. The correct answer should be as far down the runway as I(you) can, possibly the end of the runway. Another thing to do is the first time you line up on the runway, take a good look at what the runway looks like if you look far down towards the end of the runway. The landing should look the same, albeit the aircraft should look like it is 1-3 feet off the ground.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

ill let you in on little secret that pilots dont want other people to know.
Its not really all that hard.

shh dont tell anybody though..

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

First of all I will say that pilots can be me of the most confident (arrogant) individuals you will come across. Don't worry about what they are doing, focus instead on yourself and what you can do to improve each lesson.

The fact is, they may solo faster than you, but everyone has their weak points. Theirs will be exposed at some point along the way, no one is perfect. Chances are, they will be looking at you with the same envy when they are having a tough time wrapping their head around a particular lesson and you make it look easy.

Study hard, keep your concentration tight when it's your turn to go and be confident....they wouldn't even be talking solo if they didn't think you could do it.

Best of luck and let us know how it is. Remember every single pilot on these boards had their first solo once and had the same nervousness and anxiety, just not all will admit it. What they all will admit though, is the first time taking off with no one sitting beside you is a day you will remember for the rest of your life. So, before you taxi away from the instructor take a minute, look into that empty seat realize that what you are embarking on is something a relative small amount of people get to do in their lives. Savour the moment and focus on doing just as your instructor has taught you. Perfection is not the expectation, competence and confidence are!

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Of all the advice on making good landings the advice of looking as far down the runway as possible is one of the reasons people have problems with the flare and landings.

Just think of it as the further away you are looking the shallower the angle is, therefore judging wheel height above the runway gets harder the further ahead you look.

Accurate flair height and hold off height for landing is having an accurate height picture.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

On the topic of nervousness, I think HiFlyChick has it right (and it's certainly worked for me for my solo) - find the time and the place to breathe, concentrate, and relax. Then, once you've done that, get signed off for your flight, and use your training to fly the plane!
7ECA wrote:And this is why it is a good idea for instructors to not tell students in advance that they will be soloing.
While I wouldn't necessarily disagree, I would say it's something of a judgement call. Some students would actually be relieved and overjoyed, while others may find the surprise... "unwelcome".

Also, K, don't worry about "failing" the supervisor check ride. It's there for a reason - to make sure that there are no big problems, and, if there are, to identify them through another set of eyes. I failed my initial "check ride" because the supervisor saw something my instructor didn't. I learned from it, used it to improve, and successfully soloed a few days later.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

It might be too late now but, if you haven't left yet for your flight, relax. My initial solo was put off too when I was struggling with a windier than usual day. It got done the next time and probably went smoother for the extra practice. I'll tell you another little secret ... most of the guys get nervous too, they're just more often expected to hide it, sometimes even from themselves.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!! :D

KDewald
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by KDewald »

Wow, I'm blown away by the amount of posts and all the support you all have given me here!
I really appreciate the tips and HiFlyChick I must admit your story is pretty funny! I also took your advice and spent some time alone before my flight and reminded myself that there's no reason I couldn't do it, my instructor had confidence in me and I had done plenty of practice. Yesterday I was also able to find a nice video on roundouts/flares which I watched a few times.
I agree that it's probably better to have a "surprise solo" since this really had me nervous all weekend, especially since I had to fly with the CFI, who I hardly know.

I woke up early today and did everything possible to prepare, and I'm very glad to say I successfully completed my solo!
The wind was really gusty, and there was a slight crosswind, so my first circuit was a little difficult, as a matter of fact the guy who was going to solo after me wasn't allowed to because of the wind. My next 3 circuits with the CFI went well though, the CFI said my landings were beautiful, except the last one where I flared a tad too early, but he still let me solo.

I double checked everything, took my time getting off the ground and by the time I was flying I wasn't even nervous. The circuit seemed to go by in no time and my landing was pretty good, quite a few people told me it was a great landing.
In true style when I was getting out of the airplane I tripped over my headset cord and fell out of the airplane, other than that everything went pretty well!

Thanks again for all your support! I'll have to check out the rest of these forums because this is the kind of community I'd like to be a part of.

Last edited by KDewald on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Well Done. Just the first of many "first solos" in the world of aviation.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Congrats! It was only 4-5 months ago for my first solo. What a blast - wasn't even nervous till the wheels hit the ground. Just have my cross country and pre-test to go.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

I woke up early today and did everything possible to prepare, and I'm very glad to say I successfully completed my solo!
:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

It is something you will never forget.

I did mine in August of 1953 and can remember it like it was yesterday.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

KDewald wrote: I'll have to check out the rest of these forums because this is the kind of community I'd like to be a part of.

I humbly suggest you don't do that if you wish to continue thinking that way of your fellow aviators....stay happy, congrats!!

darkskyequeen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darkskyequeen »

A huge CONGRATS to you on your solo!! I love your story and I totally relate to all your feelings presolo. Im nearing my solo and my instructor won't tell me when it will happen. Either way, my heart leaps out of my chest every time I think about it possibly happening at any time. Like you my approaches and circuits are good but the round outs need help. I do it a little too high every now and then, lose energy and come down with a big thud ;) It's random. I'm interested in seeing the video that helped you out. Can you please share it?

Also that was such great advice from HiFlyChick and funny story to go along with it! I'll remember that :)

Best of luck in the rest of your flying. Nice to come across other women flyers.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

To be honest I'm not sure you'll learn much about flaring from a video. It's really something you just need to practice. Eventually you'll just find that you land perfectly virtually every time without even thinking about it.

If you're having trouble, try adjusting where you are looking. I find that looking a few hundred ft ahead works best for me. Some people look at the end of the runway, while others look at the horizon. Some research shows that looking at the horizon results in better flares, while other research shows that if you look at the horizon you might not flare at all. I'm not sure if there is really an optimal place to look, so just find what works best for you.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

With a safety pilot try this.

From a steep descent from one hundred feet maintain the steep descent until the start of the flare and flare so as to be parallel with the runway at two feet in one smooth movement....

...and do this looking at the far end of the runway.

Let me know how it goes after a few attempts.

Return to “Flight Training”