1470ft Grass Field in a 172N

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 1470ft Grass Field in a 172N

Post by kevind »

I was too young to see Airport at the theatre. I did see the other Airport movies first run. Dean Martin was great in this movie.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by kevind on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Good thread with some great info. I think one of the best things I did during my flight training is went with an instructor and another passenger to a *relatively* short grass strip several times to really get a feel it. It's one thing practicing on a 3000 foot runway, but it feels different when the trees are rushing towards you and there is a great temptation to haul it off early. We regularly went to a 1900' strip nearby fully loaded or close to it with standard power M and N models, but I usually try to keep it to about 200 lb under gross when I do it in my 145 hp model. We also did a 1500' strip with just two of us. These trips were all at 3500'+ density altitude. Landing in that distance was never an issue as long as you are precise in your approach speed and touch down where you intend. If you are having trouble getting down in time or are getting a lot of float, go around. Before you take off, I would suggest you mark the halfway point with something prominent and follow Sparky Imeson's rule that if you don't have 70% takeoff speed at the halfway point then abort.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

Thanks again everyone for the input. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Canuck1988 wrote:I have a friend who has access to a 1470ft grass strip, and wants to fly her 172N into it (with me in it :oops: ).
Canuck1988 wrote:Thanks again everyone for the input. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks,

Keep us up to date on all the details. Baseball terminology will do just fine.

:smt008

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

We should treat this kind of like an open flight plan; if you don't post back in a week we'll assume you crashed and send in the pony soldiers.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Remember some tarps for signaling if photofly comes snooping around..

LL F that sort of thing.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

All well... require food and water!?

Do I look like a Boston Pizza delivery service!?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

photofly wrote:All well... require food and water!?

Do I look like a Boston Pizza delivery service!?
Yah and if you are not there in 30 minutes it is free :wink:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well let's see. Pellet suggested the lady was trying to get him to a secluded place, suddenly you're offering to show up. It takes four tarps to build LL. and a whole bunch to write, Photofly go away we are naked. If things go well for a while they might not be in trouble yet run out of supplies, you may as well make yourself useful.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

OK. I'll bring chocolate and nibbles, and a packet of wet-wipes.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

I was going to post about the dangers of damp grass, but now it just seems dirty...

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Went into a 1800ft grass field with the Cherokee 140:

160hp
30 gals fuel
No passengers
Short field technique against brakes
25 degree flaps
Winds calm
grass was slightly wet, you could see the dampness on the tires after rolling to park
Airborne around 900 feet (definitely was under 1000).

I'd do it with passengers now no problem, but wouldn't want to get near gross.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

I often fly a 172M (150HP) into a 2000' field near my house to pick up the girlfriend. Even with 3 on board and pretty close to gross I'm airborne by the halfway point. No worries at all in that plane.

The 150 on the other hand...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Well with the same 3 people aboard, I can imagine the concern! :wink:

However, a 150 will do just fine in and out of any "normal" 2000 foot grass runway, in common conditions. For my first season at my home runway, 700 feet of length had to do, until I removed a stone fence, and most days, that was just fine....

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

The problem with this field is that it peaks right at the midpoint, so you're driving upslope when you want your acceleration to be at it's best. I was still able to break ground just after the halfway point but a 150 at gross doesn't climb all that well and this field has power lines and big trees around it.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Ground effect is your friend and rolling resistance is minimal on a firm ground, therefore, DONT drag the plane up early because the extra drag is harder to overcome than what you gain in speed while on the ground ,,,,also remember that you attain Best angle speed while 2 inches above ground not 2 feet!!! Push for best rate ( in a floatplane ) then zoom over the trees and go for best angle or slightly less to clear, then back to a cruise climb. Flap scheduling is best done ASAP. After rotation, dont drag the plane over the trees but rather fly to their roots , then GENTLY pull back to clear . You dont want to be stuck in the downdraft layer but in the horizontal portion below the trees, above the trees, its horizontal again .

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Chris M wrote:I often fly a 172M (150HP) into a 2000' field near my house to pick up the girlfriend. Even with 3 on board and pretty close to gross I'm airborne by the halfway point. No worries at all in that plane.

My plan is to slowly increase the weight on board each time I go there to see how much effect it has...

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “Flight Training”