Are there any airports in a class B control zone

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

harry_fine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Are there any airports in a class B control zone

Post by harry_fine »

I've read that control zones can be class B, C, D or E. I know that the airspace from 12,500 up to the base of the high level airspace is class B, in which VFR flight is operated as controlled VFR, using IFR cruising altitudes, clearances, Mode C etc.

But I can't figure out when or where you would ever have an airport in class B airspace.

Any thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Are there any airports in a class B control zone

Post by Posthumane »

Are you sure you weren't reading material about the US airspace structure? The airspace designations are different in the US than in ICAO countries, and they have class B airspace surrounding busy airports.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

You won't in Canada... Even in the US I'd imagine the class bravo airspace would surround the class C control zone

avcanada7**
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avcanada7** »

In Canada, No airport is going to be Class "B", same as control zone. If you compare US airspace then there are CLASS B airports & you will have CLASS B CONTROL ZONES.

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

PositiveRate27 wrote:You won't in Canada... Even in the US I'd imagine the class bravo airspace would surround the class C control zone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... ted_States

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Class B*
All low level controlled airspace above 12,500´ ASL or from the MEA, whichever is higher, to below
18,000´ ASL. TCAs and associated primary CZs may also be classified Class B airspace.

This publication is pretty much it.

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and ... ent_EN.pdf

Learning is great!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Class B control zones are explicitly allowed for in the Canadian regulations but no control zones have been assigned as Class B at the moment.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

In the US, the major airports are Class B (SEA, SFO, LAX, PHX, ATL, JFK, DFW, ORD, MSP, etc.).

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Class B in the US is more like class C in Canada. You need a clearance to enter but VFR traffic is not given an IFR-like service (from my memory). Class C in the US is more like Class D in Canada: you need contact with the controlling agency but no clearance is required. However a transponder is required in class D airspace in the US. I don't believe the US has anything like Controlled VFR (CVFR).

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I remember talking to a Nav Canada ACC supervisor and he was telling me that there's a couple of control zones like Toronto that were handling enough traffic to be classified as class B but transport Canada was sitting on paperwork and not pushing it through.. Or maybe he said Nav Canada? I forget now :P
photofly wrote: However a transponder is required in class D airspace in the US.
I think most class D control zones in Canada (or at least in BC) require a transponder these days...

I don't think there's any difference in how classes B,C and D operate in the US and Canada... Then again I've never flown down there :rolleyes:

harry_fine
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by harry_fine »

Thanks so much everyone. That' clarifies it. Non in Canada, but potentially our airspace structure allows for it.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

praveen4143 wrote: I think most class D control zones in Canada (or at least in BC) require a transponder these days...
According to the Designated Airspace Handbook, the Class D control zones in the Vancouver FIR that are designated as transponder airspace are Kelowna and Vancouver Outer Control Zone (wherever that may be). The other Class D control zones in that FIR are Comox and Prince George and they do not require a mode C transponder. So exactly half of the Class D control zones in the Vancouver FIR require mode C.

In the Toronto FIR no Class D control zones have been designated as transponder airspace so you don't need a mode C transponder to visit any of Buttonville, Hamilton, Oshawa, Sault Ste. Marie, Trenton or Windsor control zones.

Nor are any Class D control zones designated as transponder airspace in the Edmonton FIR, only one in the Winnipeg FIR, two in the Montreal FIR, two in Moncton FIR and none in Gander FIR.

In contrast, a mode C transponder is required for all Class D control zones in the USA.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

photofly wrote:
praveen4143 wrote: I think most class D control zones in Canada (or at least in BC) require a transponder these days...
According to the Designated Airspace Handbook, the Class D control zones in the Vancouver FIR that are designated as transponder airspace are Kelowna and Vancouver Outer Control Zone (wherever that may be). The other Class D control zones in that FIR are Comox and Prince George and they do not require a mode C transponder. So exactly half of the Class D control zones in the Vancouver FIR require mode C.

In the Toronto FIR no Class D control zones he been designated as transponder airspace so you don't need a mode C transponder to visit any of Buttonville, Hamilton, Oshawa, Sault Ste. Marie, Trenton or Windsor control zones.

Nor are any Class D control zones designated as transponder airspace in the Edmonton FIR, only one in the Winnipeg FIR, two in the Montreal FIR, two in Moncton FIR and none in Gander FIR.

In contrast, a mode C transponder is required for all Class D control zones in the USA.
Good to know.. Thanks photofly!

I guess I was thinking of Kelowna but I thought Prince George required a transponder too?
As for summer other class D with transponder required, Winnipeg and Southport required one for almost all my flying since 2007 and it's since become class C now.. I also thought Regina and Saskatoon required mode C?

I'm going hazard a guess that class D with mode C required is probably airspace that could some day move to class C? At least that used to be Winnipeg's excuse...

PS: I guess I should probably take some time to go through the DAHa little more.. It's been a while..

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I also thought Regina and Saskatoon required mode C?
Again according to the DAH, the following Class E airspace around Regina is Tranponder Airspace:

"The airspace from 3000´ to 12,500´ within the area bounded by a circle of 15 miles radius centred on the following:
N50°25'55.00" W104°39'57.00" (Regina Intl, SK - AD)
Excluding the Moose Jaw, SK MTCA and the Regina Intl, SK CZ."

So not below 3000, and not in the CZ.

For Saskatoon the transponder airspace is:
a) The airspace from 2900´ to below 3900´ within the area bounded by a circle of 15 miles radius centred on the following:
N52°10'15.00" W106°41'59.00" (Saskatoon/John G. Diefenbaker Intl, SK - AD)
Excluding the Saskatoon, SK CZ.

So, there, not below 2900 and not in the CZ.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

photofly wrote:
I also thought Regina and Saskatoon required mode C?
Again according to the DAH, the following Class E airspace around Regina is Tranponder Airspace:

"The airspace from 3000´ to 12,500´ within the area bounded by a circle of 15 miles radius centred on the following:
N50°25'55.00" W104°39'57.00" (Regina Intl, SK - AD)
Excluding the Moose Jaw, SK MTCA and the Regina Intl, SK CZ."

So not below 3000, and not in the CZ.

For Saskatoon the transponder airspace is:
a) The airspace from 2900´ to below 3900´ within the area bounded by a circle of 15 miles radius centred on the following:
N52°10'15.00" W106°41'59.00" (Saskatoon/John G. Diefenbaker Intl, SK - AD)
Excluding the Saskatoon, SK CZ.

So, there, not below 2900 and not in the CZ.
@Photofly, you'll make a man lazy! :P
Thanks for that.. I'm still going to open the DAH and read so I don't start misquoting from my silly brain!

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DSoup »

First off, sorry for the necro post but this seemed like a good place to reply instead of starting my own thread.

Question about flying an aircraft without a Mode C transponder.

So the CARS (605.35) say:

(3) An air traffic control unit may authorize a person to operate an aircraft that is not equipped in accordance with subsection (1) within airspace referred to in section 601.03 where

(a) the air traffic control unit provides an air traffic control service in respect of that airspace;

(b) the air traffic control unit received a request from the person to operate the aircraft within that airspace before the aircraft entered the airspace; and

(c) aviation safety is not likely to be affected.

However: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... s-5823.htm

Seems to imply that those rules are only to support a failure in flight...and then a part that confuses m about a C150 doing circuits for hours

So my question is - if I did a cross country flight in an aircraft that was not equipped with a transponder, can I still call up an ATS prior to takeoff, make a request and confirm that request in the air?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Yes, and you don't even need to telephone in advance.

I'm guessing but I suspect the answer, if you called and asked for permission 4 hours ahead, would be "call in 4 hours time and we'll see how busy we are then."

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Transponders are not required in Class D unless specified. That goes for both the US and Canada.

Only between Class D and C in the USA is that C requires a transponder. Clearances for VFR aircraft are not required, just two way radio contact. You may (and usually do) see terminal airspace around a Class C airport.

In Canada, Class D is functionally identical to Class D in the USA. Class C is also the same, except you require a clearance to enter. Canadian Class C is very similar to US Class B, however there is not always a terminal control area surrounding the airport (Kitchener, Regina, London, etc.). Requirements in the USA to enter Class B are a transponder, two way radio contact, and a clearance ("Cleared through the Bravo").

Return to “Flight Training”