The AvCanada test: gtaplanerental.com

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

The AvCanada test: gtaplanerental.com

Post by HiLo »

http://www.gtaplanerental.com/

Does it pass the AvCanada test? (one of my requirements before putting down any money for anything aviation-related)

Main concerns:
-maintenance/safety
-customer experiences/getting screwed over
-who runs it? They say that the 150 is "hangared in Hamilton ON" but they don't specify whether or not that means CYHM (doubtful for a C150 at those prices) or Stoney Creek (which is what Mr. Google shows their location as). Something stinks.
---------- ADS -----------

efestian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The AvCanada test: gtaplanerental.com

Post by efestian »

I happen to own the Piper Cherokee 140 that is listed on that site. I cannot speak for the details about the 150, but the Cherokee I can.

As for the maintenance on my aircraft, the technical and journey logs are all available for review. I spare no expense on maintenance. I fly my family in this plane. I recently replaced all 4 cylinders with brand new OEM when 1 cylinder dropped pressure. All snags are taken care of promptly. If you would like, I can put you in touch with someone that has rented my plane and has continued to do so regularly. just send me a PM.

I should also point out that myself and the pilot I will put you in touch with, met from GTAplanerental. He has been very satisfied. Both of us do regular long distance flying. I have flown this plane to Florida on a family trip as well as Ohio and he has taken it to PEI, Florida, Northern Ontario and many other places.

I think that the best thing is to go see the aircraft and meet the person. Ask a lot of questions.

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

I can personally tell you the owner has admitted to conducting aerobatics in the 150. He bought it for dirt cheap from Quebec and brought it over to Toronto. Yes, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for most likely.

Daniel Gustin
Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

I thought he bought it from Southwestern Ontario. The reg is CF-BTN, I remember seeing it for sale for 20 grand or something like that.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Price is not that cheap, I can rent a 150 from our local flight school for $110/HR. It's very well maintained to commercial standard.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

JasonE wrote:Price is not that cheap, I can rent a 150 from our local flight school for $110/HR. It's very well maintained to commercial standard.
i.e. beaten up by students, and skimping/deferring maintenance. (Not talking about this particular operation, just in general...)

Of course you can say the same about private aircraft, I'm just pointing out that "commercial standard" doesn't necessarily mean very much.

Also, you have to deal with all the hassles of flying from a flight school. No landing on anything less than 2000ft, no landing on grass, minimum flight hours per day when taking overnight, etc.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

CpnCrunch wrote:Also, you have to deal with all the hassles of flying from a flight school. No landing on anything less than 2000ft, no landing on grass, minimum flight hours per day when taking overnight, etc.
Are you implying that gtaplanerental does not have these same restrictions? That would be nice if not.

efestian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by efestian »

Chaxterium wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote:Also, you have to deal with all the hassles of flying from a flight school. No landing on anything less than 2000ft, no landing on grass, minimum flight hours per day when taking overnight, etc.
Are you implying that gtaplanerental does not have these same restrictions? That would be nice if not.
On some of that yes. For example, i don't require a minimum number of hours per day and there is no charge for overnights provided nobody else is using the plane.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Good to know. Thanks!

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

I notice that the website is down, as is the Facebook page. efestian, care to comment?

Also, I wonder if this is related: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-services/m ... nFlag=true

Save A/C type, same rate, same region.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

CpnCrunch wrote:
JasonE wrote:Price is not that cheap, I can rent a 150 from our local flight school for $110/HR. It's very well maintained to commercial standard.
i.e. beaten up by students, and skimping/deferring maintenance. (Not talking about this particular operation, just in general...)

Of course you can say the same about private aircraft, I'm just pointing out that "commercial standard" doesn't necessarily mean very much.

Also, you have to deal with all the hassles of flying from a flight school. No landing on anything less than 2000ft, no landing on grass, minimum flight hours per day when taking overnight, etc.
You don't know what you are talking about

Return to “Flight Training”