Does everybody ask for criminal record checks?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Skydiver82
Rank 0
Rank 0

Does everybody ask for criminal record checks?

Post by Skydiver82 »

A buddy of mine is interested in pursuing a commercial pilots license. I talked him into doing the schooling with me, and he's more excited than I am. His problem however lies in his past. He has a criminal record which won't go away for another 4 years. The record is drug related.

Now I have done as much research as I could for him. From an intense googling session, I have come to the conclusion that it would be impossible for him to get any job working for a big airliner such as Air Canada or Westjet, etc. It would also be impossible to have a job that involves flying across the border (obviously). However, jobs like bush piloting or even flight instructing seems to be a grey area that perhaps you guys could fill me in on.

Anyone here that does the hiring: do you do criminal record checks? Do you know any commercial pilot occupatations which DO NOT require criminal record checks?

(side note: Before you judge him, he has one hell of a story of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong people. As a friend I believe his criminal record is not an accurate reflection of his good character.)
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Does everybody ask for criminal record checks?

Post by DanWEC »

I'd have him talk to an agency that does pardons, just to make sure that's in an offense that CAN be pardoned. That's a first step (Can usually be granted 5 years after the sentance is completed.)
If it can't, options unfortunately are very limited but not non-existent. As for entering the States, he'd have to apply for an entry waiver. It's expensive, and costs about 4 or 500 dollars a year to maintain I beleive. That's only if he needs to cross at any point before the pardon is granted. If at all possible, don't enter the States till the pardon is granted. This prevents them from seeing, then holding onto your record for life. If he can do that, then it's like it never happened.
As for crim checks.... At the entry level most don't. Moving up, many ops that do require checks do so because of their clients. Sometimes just an honest talk with a boss can clear it up and your buddy may be fine down the road.

So, bottom line, avoid the States for the next 4 years at all costs, if he starts the CPL training now, it'll take a few years. Instruct or work up north for a couple of years (which will happen anyways) with no concerns about the Border, and then that should be right about Pardon time, and good to go.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Couple years to get his CPL

Couple years entry level flying jobs who probably won't run a check

His charges time out

Seems like timing wise he should be OK.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I've never had a criminal record check done, nor done one on someone I was hiring. I think I might have been asked once if I had a record, but that was after I was hired.

As stated above, it will be more than 4 years before you have to worry about talking to a carrier that will care. Might be a hindrance to some ramp jobs, but pick and choose and you'll be fine.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The US doesn't recognize Canadian pardon.

Going for the deck at corner
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

True, but I think this was also discussed recently here.

It's my understanding that if you refrain from crossing to the US until after the pardon is granted, there will be nothing in CPIC to show up when your passport is scanned, so nothing for the US system to keep.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Except they may ask you if you have been convicted. Then what? If you are gon down in the US for employment, you better do the legwork beforehand to make sure you'll be granted entry in the USA.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I recommend your "friend" reads this: http://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile//vis ... ility.html

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

I started flying in 2012. Not once since then, including the job I have now has anyone asked if I had a record.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Doesn't me you'd be granted access to the US if you had a record...

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Record check was required by my employer.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

In BC you can do a free online criminal record check for anyone if you know their name and date of birth without them knowing.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

If you instruct the air cadets, you will be required to do a criminal records check.. Also if you fly COPA for kids (I think)
Otherwise I don't think flight schools do many checks in their instructors...

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Couple years to get his CPL

Couple years entry level flying jobs who probably won't run a check

His charges time out

Seems like timing wise he should be OK.
Charges don't "time out" or just go away. You're "friend" will have to get a pardon for it to be removed off his record. Play stupid games? Win stupid prizes. When you get your RAIC I think they check for criminal activity too, a guy I worked with on the ramp one time couldn't get his RAIC because he had quite the record. But that would be years down the road.

Return to “Flight Training”