Group 1 Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Group 1 Training

Post by Pilot@123 »

So I am thinking about getting my Group 1 this winter. I have just finished my first season on floats and plan on continuing with floats for a few more years at least. So I don't plan on using my IFR rating anytime soon.

The question is do I do my rating even though I won't use it for a bit or wait until I plan on using then going and getting it.

I have heard both arguments.

Any thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Group 1 Training

Post by North Shore »

If you are absolutely certain that youll stay on floats, then save your money. If you don't use your IFR, then it will degrade over time, and you'll be back at square one in two years. Better yet, put it in your TFSA or RRSP, and get a head start on your retirement.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

I'm with North Shore on this one.
I did what you are proposing. Although it was great training & interesting. It really served me very little in the float world. Do it when you think you'll need it & it will all be fresh. Unless you just have a bunch of time & money you need to use up...:)
Having said that, if a decent IFR gig pops up you can't go there without it.
Good Luck!

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot@123 »

Makes sense. Thanks.

Do you know what exactly has changed with the recency requirements for an instrument rating. Never fully understood what the change was.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

You could get it done and it would be valid for two year. If you think you might like to have it in your back pocket incase an IFR job that you're interested comes up, that's not a bad idea.

Currently the only thing you have to do to renew your IFR is an IPC ride in a SIM. No longer required to rewrite the INRAT nor take an in plane flight test.

If you have time, go for it... you'll learn a lot that is still relateable to floats and it will allow you to understand the IFR traffic around you a bit better.

Return to “Flight Training”