Confederation College, Thunder Bay

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Confederation College, Thunder Bay

Post by sampsonmcd »

Lofty wrote:I was told I told i was top 5 on the list and have not received an offer. I'm guessing it will be more like mid may before second round offers come out.
no spots will be given to anyone on the waiting list. They have already gotten enough people to
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by sampsonmcd on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lofty »

Really? That's as upsetting as it is surprising.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Congrats to the folks who didn't get in!

Now go call up your glider port, or find you a EXPERIENCED instructor and a small tailwheel and get your training started. You'll be far better for it.

Lofty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lofty »

We get it SuperchargedRS, You failed out and hate confed for it.

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Congrats to the folks who didn't get in!

Now go call up your glider port, or find you a EXPERIENCED instructor and a small tailwheel and get your training started. You'll be far better for it.
h

Last edited by sampsonmcd on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckNasty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BuckNasty »

Lofty wrote:We get it SuperchargedRS, You failed out and hate confed for it.
His post history about Confed is hilarious.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

sampsonmcd wrote:

You know what? You would be better off refraining from giving unsolicited advice to people. Pretty easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet isnt it? You have nothing better to do then troll people online who are talking about going to school? Wow
So was Sampsonmcd a family name?

Lol, failed no, culled yes.

I had a real degree which I had prior to starting there, and good grades going into their mystery test, did fine on the first go around around and yet some how straight failed the second one, and since I was never able to see my corrected test, I think "culled" would be the word I'd use.
Very interesting when you look at how quickly I ended up with my CPL and later ATPL after confed and the jobs I've landed, point by point I progressed in aviation faster then my peers who stayed in the program.

With the time / money to logged hour ratio I probably paid around $600hr for a basic 172N and a super inexperienced instructor at confed when you break it down.

Folks who rip me off usually don't get my praise.

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

The most affordable aviation program in the country and you call it a ripoff? Sounds like the only thing that was ripped off were your study habits. Maybe if you had spent less time trolling and actually picked up a book you would wouldn't be so bitter. Quite frankly if you cant study enough for an important test, that says more about your character then anything. I applaud them for actually having a standard to weed out the weaklings.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Yes, if you fail out in first semester, I guess that is some pretty expensive 172 time. For the majority of your other classmates who actually passed the course, I would say it was a pretty good deal with some exceptional training.

SuperchargedRS wrote:
sampsonmcd wrote:

You know what? You would be better off refraining from giving unsolicited advice to people. Pretty easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet isnt it? You have nothing better to do then troll people online who are talking about going to school? Wow
So was Sampsonmcd a family name?

Lol, failed no, culled yes.

I had a real degree which I had prior to starting there, and good grades going into their mystery test, did fine on the first go around around and yet some how straight failed the second one, and since I was never able to see my corrected test, I think "culled" would be the word I'd use.
Very interesting when you look at how quickly I ended up with my CPL and later ATPL after confed and the jobs I've landed, point by point I progressed in aviation faster then my peers who stayed in the program.

With the time / money to logged hour ratio I probably paid around $600hr for a basic 172N and a super inexperienced instructor at confed when you break it down.

Folks who rip me off usually don't get my praise.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

sampsonmcd wrote:The most affordable aviation program in the country and you call it a ripoff?
This is like having free beer with your fish and chips, yeah great deal except for when you actually look at the bill and see your fish and chips were way over priced and there was a mandatory 20% tip added.

Do some accounting, add up the res (which you have to stay in to a extent) the meal plan to go with res, all the additional fees and whatnot, it's really not as cheap as many think it is, lots of marketing.

Compare the costs of confed once all is said and done to a small flight school, or better yet a freelance instructor and club or purchased trainer.

Add in the ability to hold a real job at a small flight school and confed starts to get expensive.
sampsonmcd wrote: Sounds like the only thing that was ripped off were your study habits. Maybe if you had spent less time trolling and actually picked up a book you would wouldn't be so bitter. Quite frankly if you cant study enough for an important test, that says more about your character then anything. I applaud them for actually having a standard to weed out the weaklings.
Sounds like a lack of reading comprehension, you might have missed the parts about having good grades going into the mystery final, doing well on the first one, yet somehow completely failing the second one which was just like the first one.

Also you probably never read the student handbook which stated that a students overall grade average should be used as the determination on the success or failure in a program, not a super heavily weighted final exam.

And of course you missed the fact that I already had a real degree, one I got when my peers had just graduated high school, my quick advancement through flight school and through the industry after, doesn't really sound like someone who doesn't pick up a book. But hey, the confed kool aid says only kids who don't study and just party get tossed from the program, so that must be true eh!

As for my time to make this post, I'm actually getting paid right now, just a matter of a little free time and waiting for a difference in time zones before I run a few errands, it's a plus of having a comfy flying job. So really I'm not bitter at all, life's good, I just don't mind spending a few minutes of my down time to paint a accurate picture of a BUSINESS which took a chunk of my money and under delivered.

tbayav8er wrote:Yes, if you fail out in first semester, I guess that is some pretty expensive 172 time. For the majority of your other classmates who actually passed the course, I would say it was a pretty good deal with some exceptional training.

Majority?

When I was there it was about 50% of the class who was culled out first semester, not what most, or the dictionary, would classify as a "majority".

On that line, confed also allowed zero refunds of these students res/meal plan balances, good profit margin for 10hrs or so of 172 time.

As far as exceptional training, my instructor had just graduated the program the year before had zero experience outside of 172s and confed, it's what you would call a self licking icecream cone, far from "exceptional" training.

To each their own, just know that there are quite a few accomplished pilots who don't hold confed in the highest regards, especially with how the program is (mis)managed.

ActionAxson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ActionAxson »

Do some accounting, add up the res (which you have to stay in to a extent) the meal plan to go with res, all the additional fees and whatnot, it's really not as cheap as many think it is, lots of marketing.
What do you mean by you have to stay at the res? I can assure you that is not the case. In fact the number 1 piece of advice I can give to potential students would be to live off campus somewhere close to the Airport/Aviation Centre of Excellence.

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

SuperchargedRS wrote:
sampsonmcd wrote:The most affordable aviation program in the country and you call it a ripoff?
This is like having free beer with your fish and chips, yeah great deal except for when you actually look at the bill and see your fish and chips were way over priced and there was a mandatory 20% tip added.

Compare the costs of confed once all is said and done to a small flight school, or better yet a freelance instructor and club or purchased trainer.

Add in the ability to hold a real job at a small flight school and confed starts to get expensive.
sampsonmcd wrote: Sounds like the only thing that was ripped off were your study habits. Maybe if you had spent less time trolling and actually picked up a book you would wouldn't be so bitter. Quite frankly if you cant study enough for an important test, that says more about your character then anything. I applaud them for actually having a standard to weed out the weaklings.
Sounds like a lack of reading comprehension, you might have missed the parts about having good grades going into the mystery final, doing well on the first one, yet somehow completely failing the second one which was just like the first one.

Also you probably never read the student handbook which stated that a students overall grade average should be used as the determination on the success or failure in a program, not a super heavily weighted final exam.

And of course you missed the fact that I already had a real degree, one I got when my peers had just graduated high school, my quick advancement through flight school and through the industry after, doesn't really sound like someone who doesn't pick up a book. But hey, the confed kool aid says only kids who don't study and just party get tossed from the program, so that must be true eh!

As for my time to make this post, I'm actually getting paid right now, just a matter of a little free time and waiting for a difference in time zones before I run a few errands, it's a plus of having a comfy flying job. So really I'm not bitter at all, life's good, I just don't mind spending a few minutes of my down time to paint a accurate picture of a BUSINESS which took a chunk of my money and under delivered.

tbayav8er wrote:Yes, if you fail out in first semester, I guess that is some pretty expensive 172 time. For the majority of your other classmates who actually passed the course, I would say it was a pretty good deal with some exceptional training.

Majority?

When I was there it was about 50% of the class who was culled out first semester, not what most, or the dictionary, would classify as a "majority".

On that line, confed also allowed zero refunds of these students res/meal plan balances, good profit margin for 10hrs or so of 172 time.

As far as exceptional training, my instructor had just graduated the program the year before had zero experience outside of 172s and confed, it's what you would call a self licking icecream cone, far from "exceptional" training.

To each their own, just know that there are quite a few accomplished pilots who don't hold confed in the highest regards, especially with how the program is (mis)managed.

Hey I wanted to PM you but my account is to new I guess and I must participate in more discussions before I have the privilege of sending someone a message. It seems like you have experience and I need a good viewpoint on something important. I am in a different position that most green pilots so I am thinking about the best way to go about the rest of my training. Is there anyway you can email me? or PM me yourself and see if that works? My email is honda500@rocketmail.com

Thank you

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Well, 40 out of 60 people from your class graduated. I'm no math wiz, but I would call that a majority.

SuperchargedRS wrote:

Majority?

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Last edited by SuperchargedRS on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Ba ha ha ha!

Wait, I just reread your post, so when the class had 100 students and only 40 graduated, based on your mathematical prowess... the -MAJORITY- graduated??

no frickin' kidding you ain't a math wiz!

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Con College has never taken 100 students into the Aviation Program. Mid 60's was the highest ever!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Correct, classes are always ~60 students. In fact, there was a year recently where 45/60 students graduated. If you meet the standard, you pass. Simple.

CLguy wrote:Con College has never taken 100 sztudents into the Aviation Program. Mid 60's was the highest ever!

Return to “Flight Training”