Don't work for money.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Don't work for money.

Post by Rookie50 »

Ok, that was blatant click bait title.

This is a thought I'm copying from another thread I posted it on, for the new pilots out there.

Hopefully a few get it.

Two thoughts that came to me recently:

First, we can all choose to live our lives as creators or critics. Not both.

And -- if one chooses to work and create (in aviation or elsewhere) solely for money as a motivation -- that will be the only reward given.

Follow your passion, and money will (easily) follow as a byproduct, along with many more priceless rewards. Doors will open. Trust me.

How do you know? (Your true passion?) If you would do it for free. (Not that I'm advocating that, AvCan!)

If you no longer have that passion, and you can leave, it's time to do so. Find a new dream.

This is the way I've attempted to live my professional life.

Kudos to those with the courage to create and innovate, and follow true passion.
---------- ADS -----------

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Don't work for money.

Post by PropToFeather »

Solid advice. I'd add a couple of things:
- Do it if your dreams and passions are attainable.
- Money is not necessarily a consequence of following your dreams (ie: all my artist friends)
- It's perfectly fine to work for money for (brief) periods, while (actively) working on your passion.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

OK not for money, but how about bitcoins,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

What a nice sentiment. Follow your passion and money will follow.

Pretty optimistic. More like: follow your passion, and if you are actually that passionate about it you will make it work with what money you get.

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

I'm debating that right now myself as Hong Kong Government Flying Service is recuriting cadets right now. I'm almost 35 and I don't really want to stuck working in HK for the next 10 years. The place is too expensive and starting to be socially unstable. I don't see how I cannot work for money in a city like that and then not be able to return to Canada as a pilot because the low total hours.

Return to “Flight Training”