inrat required books

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Dr Rockter
Rank 1
Rank 1

inrat required books

Post by Dr Rockter »

Just wondering if the newest aim aip 2016 just released as well as the old outdated ipm from here http://www.phoenixaviation.ca/IPM%20tp2076e.pdf is sufficient for study?

Or am I better off paying 90.00 for the new ftgu ipm from here
http://www.vippilot.com/canadian-books/ ... anual-d245

I do not want to pay 90.00 if the old one will suffice bit do not want to shoot myself in the foot either.

I am presently also going through the harvs air ifr course as well.

thanks for any advice.
---------- ADS -----------

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: inrat required books

Post by PAJ »

IMHO get the new book. Its been updated a fair bit since the mind 90's IPM. Well laid out and easy to read. A good reference for later as well.

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Dr Rockter wrote:Just wondering if the newest aim aip 2016 just released as well as the old outdated ipm from here http://www.phoenixaviation.ca/IPM%20tp2076e.pdf is sufficient for study?

Or am I better off paying 90.00 for the new ftgu ipm from here
http://www.vippilot.com/canadian-books/ ... anual-d245

I do not want to pay 90.00 if the old one will suffice bit do not want to shoot myself in the foot either.

I am presently also going through the harvs air ifr course as well.

thanks for any advice.
I used the outdated IPM, the outdated Air Command Weather Manual posted here by Pelmet, along with the new Cap Gen, new AIM, and Langley Flying School's ground school. All of that stuff is available free. I just scraped by with 3% over the pass mark (73% I think). However that was due to me being a little lazy and not properly memorizing things like criteria for contact approach, VOR/ADF tolerances, etc.

There were a few things I knew really well like ADF tracking and cold temp correction that I got wrong. I have no idea how I screwed up the cold temp correction as that is the easiest thing in the world (and they give you the damn steps for the calculation in the exam!) I even checked the answers to all the questions carefully. There was also a question about AWOS operation, which didn't seem to be in the older ACWM.

The main advice is that you really need to know all the material very well, because you'll most likely screw up a few questions about stuff you do know.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Get the new IPM. That money is a drop in the bucket compared to your license, and the time saved by having a modern, well presented book is worth it. Supplement it by knowing the RAC section of the AIM. Don't forget to memorize the cap gen. Good luck!

Scout44
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Scout44 »

Sounds like you're generally on track. I just passed the INRAT last week. For me, it had been a long time since my last TC exam, so I had to get back into the books quite a bit, and I also took the Aerocourse. Just don't short-change yourself on prep time, and you should be OK. But to answer your question, all those materials will be useful. I also bought the new IPM, and although I didn't use it much to prep for the exam, I plan on referring to it during the rest of my training.

Best of luck, it feels great to get this one checked off.

Dr Rockter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dr Rockter »

thanks for the replies. I am ordering the new ipm.

Return to “Flight Training”