Victoria Flying Club review

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kilomike_19
Rank 1
Rank 1

Victoria Flying Club review

Post by kilomike_19 »

Looking for anyone's experience or knowledge of the Victoria Flying club . I will be picking this school in the near future for my PPL.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks !
---------- ADS -----------

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Victoria Flying Club review

Post by milotron »

Great facility; Good instructors with depth of experience. Cessna 172s in good condition with decent avionics. A twin available too. Recommended.

Victoria is a good place to learn also. Fairly busy airspace with radio work and the practice area is only a couple of minutes away.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

From my buddy's instgram it seems like quite the envious place to go fly around. He's doing CPL build-up and during his 5-week vacation in Victoria, he got his float rating, and separately did his 300nm CPL XC to San Francisco to go watch the Blue Jays for a weekend...

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Yes, it's pretty good. The planes are well equipped and reasonably priced, and the staff are all friendly and helpful.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

While I cannot speak to the current Victoria Flying Club, I did complete my PPL and nearly finished the CPL there many years ago. Its a great environment with lots of challenges in terms of weather, mountains, water etc. beautiful scenery and at the time lots of fun airports to fly into. I don't recall any great delays getting airborne and to the practice areas. There is also a really nice restaurant there. Only downside for me at the time was the distance from my home in Victoria. I did not have a drivers license at the time and my mom used to have to drive me to the airport ;)

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:From my buddy's instgram it seems like quite the envious place to go fly around. He's doing CPL build-up and during his 5-week vacation in Victoria, he got his float rating, and separately did his 300nm CPL XC to San Francisco to go watch the Blue Jays for a weekend...
That would be me. Is this Shawn?

As for VFC, I can't speak enough about it. It was a great place to learn, the fleet is pretty good (not as good as Edmoton's, but definitely nice, and cheaper) and the area is just amazing to fly in. I live in Edmonton (for now) and an hour will get you to Calgary. An hour from Vic, and you're in Tofino. That's a hell of a difference.

I did my night, float, VFR OTT, mountain and most of my multi ratings there, as well as all my CPL build. They had no problems with me taking a plane for a week to go to San Fran for my big XC.

I would highly recommend VFC to anybody.

kilomike_19
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kilomike_19 »

Well, I'm going to tell you my own experience. I saw their website and I contacted them through the contact us tab. Great, I received a reply nearly 10 days later, after sending emails to three emails addresses, the Facebook page and call them from my country (I'm not Canadian). Well, finally I received the LoA (Letter of Acceptance), and before applying for the student visa permit I wrote them to show them my financial planning. I sent it more than a week ago and I still waiting. A local friend who is also interested to fly with them had a reply in two hours... I was very disappointed and I searched another flight school...

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

kilomike_19 wrote:Well, I'm going to tell you my own experience. I saw their website and I contacted them through the contact us tab. Great, I received a reply nearly 10 days later, after sending emails to three emails addresses, the Facebook page and call them from my country (I'm not Canadian). Well, finally I received the LoA (Letter of Acceptance), and before applying for the student visa permit I wrote them to show them my financial planning. I sent it more than a week ago and I still waiting. A local friend who is also interested to fly with them had a reply in two hours... I was very disappointed and I searched another flight school...
Their only contact address is info@flyvfc.com. I've always received a reply from that, although it might take a day sometimes. If you want a quick answer it's best to phone them...you can always speak to someone immediately.

I guess the issue is that the person who replies to emails is just whichever dispatcher is on duty, and whenever they have time.

Sometimes flying schools aren't the most efficient at answering email. I've had similar experiences with many flight schools.

Weren't you looking at Harv's Air as well?

Return to “Flight Training”