ATPL SARON / SAMRA exam feedback thread

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Karakoram
Rank 0
Rank 0

ATPL SARON / SAMRA exam feedback thread

#1 Post by Karakoram » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:02 pm

Hello all,

My first time posting on here..

I thought I'd start this thread as there seems to be a ton of exam feedback from the IATRA written examination. However, for the SARON/ SAMRA there doesn't seem to be same extent of information to help one wade through the TC goobelygook. I found also it's not what you know it's how you interpret the questions..

I did study hard to waded through the massive expanse of material in the Study and Ref Guide.

If anyone would like to post what they found on their exams as well I'm sure others could benefit.

I recently did both. I found the SAMRA tough but I ended up doing just fine.

The SARON was another story...

Materials used:

Michael J . 2016 exam prep
Michel J . 2016 written test book

-> Both are good. The exam book is a good indication of how you will do. Some material a little dated ( no fixed card ADF on exam anymore)

Sharper edge : Pretty good as well.

Aero course: Material is bit dated. I scored around 90% on the exams in the book and did not pass the SARON. The actual SARON is far harder than the aero course. The aero course seems to do an amazing job of summarizing major points and serves as a springboard.. However, I think you need to heavily dig into the AIM, CARS and other reference material.

I will post what I found on my SARON exam shortly.
---------- ADS -----------

Karakoram
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ATPL SARON / SAMRA exam feedback thread

#2 Post by Karakoram » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:58 pm

Here's the questions I found on SARON #7

-CVR U/S no MEL in place
-Two aircraft converging : collision if no relative movement
-Type 3 Anti -ice fluid: speed use. Below VR of 100 ( watch wording)
-Question regarding TEM with a PFD and an aircraft in a spiral dive = undesired aircraft state
-N1 calculation table
-CG weight shift question : take your time. ( answer was 8,600 or 8800 lbs)
-Slots / Slats Question
-ARCAL question: do you re-activate prior to approach : Yes.
-Windshear / Power management question
-TUC : at 20,000
-procedures IFR in uncontrolled airspace : broadcast intentions 126.70 then 123.20. Or Local ATF
- does an ATC clearance void a pilot of traffic avoidance : no
- Cold Soaked Aircraft in Precip : what will form on wing?
-when are you required to use supplemental o2 (non-press AC)
-know human factors Fatigue, stress, acutely stress signs/ symptoms
-effects of drifting snow
-induced drag / wingtip vortices
-705 recency/ sectors
-minimum fuel condition
-stability / sweep back
-hung start
-question with respect to how a gyrosyn works
-SAR/ SGR
-approach ban question using RVR . RVR A U/S
- question regarding ground vis operations .
-SPR region question .
-new procedures pertaining to a expired IPC ( someone who has not flown IFR in 24 months)
-tail plane stall question
-Windshear recovery procedure question
-likely place CFIT is going to occur

-long range cruise in a jet/ relationship with TAS
-relationship with TAS/ Mach with climb
-question pertaining to ATPL privileges : ATPL with expired IFR rating departing on a VFR day commercial flight. What can the pilot
-compressor bleed valve question: they DO NOT assist in venting built up / excess or unequal pressure. They solely prevent compressor stall.
- question with a failure of hydraulic system. Do NOT select answer stating " emergency gear extension required."
-question regarding a Transport Cat aircraft with life jackets only.
-landing technique : you approach excessively fast how should you touchdown?
-Float type fuel gauges
-play load question with a runway limit . (Got it wrong)
-altimeter 30 Feet out . Aircraft flying to FL330. Is the altimeter within tolerances.
- max range perameters in a jet
-medical requirements for a 43 year old pilot. Oddly, incorrect. I put medical every 6 months, ECG each 12.
- calculate cabin rate is descent
-know MAC formula
-buffet boundary question: answers are .01 out from each other. Chart had the smallest squares and was nothing like any of the charts found in practice exams. Watchout!
-multiple charting questions . Asking you to work tables backwards.
-hydro mechanical pitch stop question
-dihedral question
-landing weight question: you are given a burn of 1200 lbs for descent, enroute time of 1hr, ground speed, and fuel Burn in NM/ LB
-night vision question factors that impair you and how to cope.
-RFI question finding min -'x-wind
-IFR in abnormally cold temp procedure question.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

#3 Post by Saxub » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Use the C. word books (exams and GS), in conjunction with the Aerocourse question book. If you can manage 90% on everything you'll do just fine on the real exams. They really aren't that hard.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

#4 Post by Saxub » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Also, SKIP Sharper Edge. I found that book completely useless from an actual exam prep point of view. Throw it in the garbage.

Anticyclone
Rank 2
Rank 2

#5 Post by Anticyclone » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello Aviators,

Im taking my ATPL very soon and i'm wondering whether anybody has any insight regarding that or regarding examination places
in QC or ONT.

Thanks and good luck to Karakoram.

Rob899
Rank 0
Rank 0

#6 Post by Rob899 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Save your money and skip Aerocourse. It was a waste of time/money, especially when it came to meteorology. Met was rushed and didn't even skim the surface of what you need to know. Purchase Air Command Weather, and take the time to thoroughly understand it. You can practice the Aerocourse questions but their questions are far easier than the transport exam, and not very similar. SARON was easy exam and you can get by with minimal effort. SAMRA will take some effort.

garfield
Rank 3
Rank 3

#7 Post by garfield » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:19 pm

No more ADF questions at all, really?

Rob899
Rank 0
Rank 0

#8 Post by Rob899 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:20 pm

That's correct, no ADF questions.

Anticyclone
Rank 2
Rank 2

#9 Post by Anticyclone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:51 am

Thank s a lot.

SeñorPiloto
Rank 0
Rank 0

#10 Post by SeñorPiloto » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Karakoram, first of all thank you for the information you posted here. I wanted to ask you a favor, I purchased the online course from . but i do need the performance charts from the work book in order to get throught it. Do you think I could get a photo of the graphs sent to me? Thanks and for anyone thinking of studying for the ATPL from erocourse, dont waste your time, its outdated and not worth it.

SeñorPiloto
Rank 0
Rank 0

#11 Post by SeñorPiloto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:53 pm

SeñorPiloto wrote:Karakoram, first of all thank you for the information you posted here. I wanted to ask you a favor, I purchased the online course from . but i do need the performance charts from the work book in order to get throught it. Do you think I could get a photo of the graphs sent to me? Thanks and for anyone thinking of studying for the ATPL from erocourse, dont waste your time, its outdated and not worth it.

Never mind, I figured something out. Thanks anyway

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

#12 Post by swordfish » Mon May 08, 2017 10:00 am

Somewhere in this world, there used to be a question bank for each of these exams from which the questions for the test are randomly selected. Does anyone know where those are?

praveen4143
Rank 3
Rank 3

#13 Post by praveen4143 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:17 pm

I doubt if there's such a manual. My understanding is that TC is constantly updating the tests to avoid having too many passed and scores consistently coming up too high. I have heard of such manuals in the US, but I'm unfamiliar with their system.

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

#14 Post by Pt6-42 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Anyone have any info on how to read electronic flight plans? I cant find anystudy info online. I was told there are a couple questions on the samra about them. E.g. Calc average wind to dest from flight plan.

MagicMilkshake
Rank 1
Rank 1

#15 Post by MagicMilkshake » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:11 am

Anybody recently took a SAMRA exam? I know they have a few new exams (up to at least SAMRA 16) wondering what some new questions might involve.
Thanks in advance.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

#16 Post by Cat Driver » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:18 pm

I doubt if there's such a manual. My understanding is that TC is constantly updating the tests to avoid having too many passed and scores consistently coming up too high.
And that is why T.C.'s exams are so insidiously difficult to try and answer, they are designed so rather than the student actually understanding the subject the student must be a mind reader.

Three of T.C.'s top gurus from Ottawa landed at Nanaimo one day because of bad weather, they were on their way to Victoria in a Bell 206.

Anyhow they decided to do a base inspection of my school to pass their time.

I was just sitting in the waiting room doing nothing and they started asking me some questions thinking I was a student of the school.

I asked them why the exam questions changed so often and they told me it was because if they did not change the questions the schools would be able to give the students all the correct answers.

So I said wouldn't it be easier to have the schools teach the subject wrong right from the start?

They did not think that was funny and got real aggressive so I said I was happy they stopped by because I had never meet three morons all at once claiming to be top management for any organization.

Anyhow things went downhill real fast after that and I told them I was not a student I owned the school and they were not welcome and to get in their helicopter and get off my property.

They really lost it then so I told them if they did not get off my property I would call the RCMP and have them removed that way.

They went out and fired up their helicopter and hover taxied it to another part of the airport and I never heard from them again.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Goose_
Rank 0
Rank 0

#17 Post by Goose_ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Does anyone have info if ATPL is still asking Loran c questions ..... the reason I ask is i don't see it listed on the study and reference guide , but various threads seem to indicate they are still asking Loran c questions

Flyguy13
Rank 1
Rank 1

#18 Post by Flyguy13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:01 pm

No they don't

No more air taxi either

JetSetter87
Rank 0
Rank 0

#19 Post by JetSetter87 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Greetings,

Wrote my SAMRA today 2017/10/16.

Study Material:

-TRANSPORT CANADA ATPL GUIDE
-AEROCOURSE NOTES BOOK
-AEROCOURSE QUESTION BANK (5th edition)
-AIR WX COMMAND
-NAV CANADA WX SERVICES BOOKLET
-HUMAN FACTORS TC BOOKLET
-M.J . ATPL
-SHARPER EDGE ATPL
-TC AIM
-TC CARS

I wrote the : ATPL SAMRA #16

I felt very much ready for the exam after studying in depth the subjects and trying to understand the core concepts rather than memorizing everything. I promised my wife a 85% and over. After the exam I walked out with a bruised ego and a 75%.

Having said that, the exam itself was not hard at all. It was all stuff I knew and studied. The problem lies within the wording of the questions. Most of the questions I got wrong were because I was on the fence between 2 answers. READ THE QUESTIONS.

Although the study guide mentions studying computerized flight plans I paid little attention to it. Sure enough 2 questions were there. I got 1/2 so its not really hard but ya.....Also one question about MLAT which I never saw in my material.

The questions is mostly about WX. 70% of it. Know the pillars of WX. FOG, ICING, GFAs, JET STREAMS AND CAT. Know them in depth and that will give you min 60-65% ....

Few questions using PFDs, I guess we are in 2017... The question reffered to a PFD in the Annex which was an AC in a spiral and you had to chose the corrective actions.....I guess that question falls in the "Radio Aids and Comms"....??!!

Very little questions on flight planning. VFR fuel calculation for a night flight. PPL stuff.

Will be writting my SARON 2017/10/18.

Would appreciate if anyone had any last minute tips and what not...Will review it in another post after the exam.

GODSPEED FELLOW AVIATORS

C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

#20 Post by C-GOYR » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm about to sign up for the aero course ATPL/IATRA course in YYZ and these bad reviews are quite unsettling. Not sure if it's because folks went in with no previous knowledge (just my assumption...could be wrong). I did their INRAT three day course and without previous knowledge I'd have been completely lost. I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Thanks to the OP for all the insight.

Cheese Tray
Rank 0
Rank 0

#21 Post by Cheese Tray » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:40 am

C-GOYR wrote:I'm about to sign up for the aero course ATPL/IATRA course in YYZ and these bad reviews are quite unsettling. Not sure if it's because folks went in with no previous knowledge (just my assumption...could be wrong). I did their INRAT three day course and without previous knowledge I'd have been completely lost. I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Thanks to the OP for all the insight.
C-GOYR,

I went into the Aerocourse cold last year and wrote both exams on the following Monday. In and out in under an hour for each exam and a 90% on both. Yes you can pass without the course but I had a limited window to study/get everything done and the Aerocourse made it happen. Each course they add/delete questions so take good notes and you should be fine. I wasn't a fan of the price and having to stay in YYZ for the weekend but I have to say in the end I got my money's worth.

CheeseTray

C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

#22 Post by C-GOYR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:26 am

C-GOYR,

I went into the Aerocourse cold last year and wrote both exams on the following Monday. In and out in under an hour for each exam and a 90% on both. Yes you can pass without the course but I had a limited window to study/get everything done and the Aerocourse made it happen. Each course they add/delete questions so take good notes and you should be fine. I wasn't a fan of the price and having to stay in YYZ for the weekend but I have to say in the end I got my money's worth.

CheeseTray[/quote]

noted...thanks

C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

#23 Post by C-GOYR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Will be writing on Friday. Took the aero course which was very helpful. I’ve completed the text and workbook and now I’m onto sharper edge.

Sharper edge will just be done as a review to reinforce concepts and tested items. One question I couldn’t get answered is the one where you cross the threshold fast...

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Will be writing both and update after. I’ve heard of the two new exams with a couple flight plan questions that’s been causing some grief... wind component to alternate etc

Thanks for any help offered

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

#24 Post by Idriveplane » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:19 am

Hi C-GOYR

Looking to write the A’s this month. How’d you make out?

NEJO79
Rank 0
Rank 0

#25 Post by NEJO79 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 am

Hey im planning on writing my SARON next week. Does anyone have feedback from the latest versions?

Return to “Flight Training”