Ottawa Aviation Services - iATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PIC_26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ottawa Aviation Services - iATPL

Post by PIC_26 »

Hi Everyone,

So i visited OAS few months ago when i was contemplating beginning flight training which would commence for me around the new year. Currently residing in Toronto, the best school i came across was BFC. Now, i do have a few contacts at BFC who pretty much advised me that getting a CFI job after getting through the CPL program is tough as they prefer the 2-3 graduates/year from their iATPL program. I was considering the iATPL program at first, but then decided to go the CPL route as i could work on the side too.

However, OAS's full-time iATPL caught my attention again as the end result looks promising:

OAS is claiming they guarantee an interview with their partner airlines which include: Air Georgian, Porter, Transpac, and Provincial to name a few after graduating from their iATPL (18 month program). Now, when i was there, an instructor told me those who do not get an interview, would be given FI jobs, unless they did very poorly in their exams/flight tests (i.e. just met the minimum). The graduates also do a PILAPT test to determine skill and get placed in an interview pool. Some graduates from iATPL program actually apparently rejected the regional interview to do PIC time as an FI, instead of PM time at a regional with 250 hrs and a frozen ATPL.

I just wanted to know if there was anyone out there that can validate OAS claims, they seem very confident and their documents show they actually have agreements with these regionals. The program is roughly 75k , not including accommodation, the CPL at Brampton would most likely be 50-60k anyway. Rather have a shot a regional job out of a program than not.

Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ottawa Aviation Services - iATPL

Post by imac0960 »

Just keep in mind an interview does not mean a job offer. The right question to ask is how many people have been offered a job at those regional airlines upon completion of their program. I unfortunately do not have those numbers.

billgeno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by billgeno »

PIC_26 - Sending you a PM as I have first have experience with this program and the "guaranteed interview"

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

iATPL, that's flight school marketing speek for what pilots call a greenhorn CPL

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

SuperchargedRS wrote:iATPL, that's flight school marketing speek for what pilots call a greenhorn CPL
Yes and no.
They may be no better than a club CPL at loading drums or flying a 182 or instilling common sense but assuming the student posesses a glimmer of that rare commodity, the program requirements dictate that they have good book knowledge and very good IFR and the foundations of multi crew skills. I have seen some excellent candidates that have come from those programs.

As for OAS's streaming programs..... I do have those numbers....

Last edited by DanWEC on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

DanWEC wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote:iATPL, that's flight school marketing speek for what pilots call a greenhorn CPL
Yes and no.
They may be no better than a club CPL at loading drums or flying a 182 or, instilling common sense, but the program requirements dictate that they have good book knowledge and very good IFR and the foundations of multi crew skills. I have seen some excellent candidate come from the program.

And what does a greenhorn know about real world IFR flying?

There is a reason the ATPL requires the hours it does, I don't care what you calm it frozen ATPL, iAPTL, it's a joke and just makes you look silly in the eyes of anyone who has a real ATPL or any time.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I doubt it would be prudent for you to speak for everyone else with an ATPL.

Like it or not, the Airline Transport License isn't required for things like a PC12 or BE10 skips, where the flying can be the most challenging of your career. Airline being the operative word here, and that's the focus on the training.

I don't agree necessarily with that concept, but that's what the program is about. Not that fun either.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Actually it just so happens I fly a medevac PC12, single pilot, and our requirements are just about double what the ATP requirements are, all of our pilots are ATPs, you simply don't end up with the EXPERINCE we require and not end up a airline transport.

Key word is experience.

BTW, does it say iATPL on your license or does it say CPL??

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Cool story SuperchargedRS

Going for the deck at corner
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Indeed :)

good talk

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

iATPL. Cute marketing. Kinda like "steps to the beach".

PIC_26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PIC_26 »

Folks, again it seems like very, very good marketing. At one point i had the school tell me they'd cover interest payments after grad (LOL!)...

From what i'm getting, it's a 75k program for a CPL and the privilege to write ATPL exams a little early, aside from the very few candidates who graduate from the bachelor's program at Seneca, the rest would have to find FI/Bush/low-time jobs until they get EXPERIENCE like usual.

I think the guaranteed interview comes at 1500 hr (you also have to pay for your FI rating)....you might as well apply for the Porter Pilot pathway program at 250 hrs for free lol and get a mentor while you're at it.

Bill G. thanks for the PM. I'm not bashing OAS but the iATPL is not recognized by the airlines as an option to fill the right seat. There's a reason why there isn't a sudden influx of 250hr guys flying 1900's in the right seat. In my eyes, the iATPL only gets you a contact at a regional airline, who'll tell you we'll see you when you have a little more experience....

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

There was 2 big things I didn't like about the iATPL- I was considering going to brampton flight center and paying $77,000 believe it or not.

>First you have 5 years to get your 1500 hours in order for your "frozen" ATPL to become active. Shouldn't be a problem but if things get in the way or something happens in aviation where you can't fly OR medical goes bad etc., you have just spent an extra $15,000 to write 2 tests and do 800 hours of ground school.

>Second obvious problem is COST. I was gonna go to brampton so lets use them as an example. 77 grand plus tax for iATPL versus 62 grand plus tax for their "1 year college program" (which is still overpriced) thats 15,000 more. To write 2 tests that cost 75-150 each (not sure of the cost). It would be more than 15,000 of a difference if you went to a regular flight school or even did the modular typical training AT Brampton Flight Center.

David Bayyari
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by David Bayyari »

But having ATPL exams with MCC helps in some particular job opportunities, right?

like Europe or elsewhere, where they demand at least "frozen" ATPL with MCC certificate.
maybe not Canada?

I am looking at the same program. Could I get a PM for more info, please?

Nikhil_28
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nikhil_28 »

billgeno wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:54 pm PIC_26 - Sending you a PM as I have first have experience with this program and the "guaranteed interview"
Hello,
Can j get some detlaide review to as I am planing to join iATPL at OAS

Nikhil_28
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nikhil_28 »

DanWEC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:11 pm
Yes and no.
They may be no better than a club CPL at loading drums or flying a 182 or instilling common sense but assuming the student posesses a glimmer of that rare commodity, the program requirements dictate that they have good book knowledge and very good IFR and the foundations of multi crew skills. I have seen some excellent candidates that have come from those programs.

Dan WEC- can I get those number in PM?

Return to “Flight Training”