harvs/pilottranining.ca vs brampton

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

harvs/pilottranining.ca vs brampton

Post by geneticistx »

Hi,
I am doing my flying out a flight school in southern ontario, and have not yet started my ground school. I am curious if I can do the ground school using one of the online courses and continue to fly out of flight school. Getting to and from the brick and mortar school facilities is a pain and cumbersome, yet doing it at home is much more doable with my work and kids schedule.

thoughts?

M
---------- ADS -----------

2TCMM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: harvs/pilottranining.ca vs brampton

Post by 2TCMM »

I don't live at all close to the flight school where I train and didn't want to make the trek out there an additional two nights per week beyond when I go there to fly for a several week period just to do their ground school.

I did the pilottraining.ca (Harv's Air) course on my own over about two months and felt it prepared me really well for the exam. The cost was the same or a little bit less as it would have been to take the in-class ground school at my flight school. Once I finished the online course they sent me the recommendation letter and record of ground school really fast within about an hour. I wrote the PPAER last week and got in the mid-80s easily passing all sections. I appreciated the ability to go through the material at my own pace and spend more/less time as needed on various sections based on my understanding.

If I obtained future licenses/ratings requiring ground school I would do another online pilottraining.ca course for sure.

My flight school had no problem with me doing the flight training with them but the ground school elsewhere and in fact encouraged me to do so when I discussed my logistics/scheduling situation and that would have made it difficult to attend their in-class ground school. I have heard however that a few schools discourage this. I don't know if it is because they want to make the money from you on this component of your training or because they want more control/oversight into their students' progress and/or might mention some things in the ground school that they want to emphasize in their particular training processes.

In my opinion your flight school should have no problem with you doing the ground school elsewhere if that is what is best for you because of logistics and/or your individual learning style. You are the customer.

The only disadvantage of doing the ground school online that I can think of is that you may miss out a bit on an easy opportunity to make connections with some of the other students in the same stages of training as you in your class and meet more of the instructors at the school (typically they rotate the ground school so that a few different instructors each teach a few classes).

Caveman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caveman »

You can for sure! Just ask your flight school if they accept the Harv's Air training as an approved form of ground school (I believe most do). Im currently in a similar situation to yours and chose to do online ground school with Harv's Air. Im currently doing my flight training at CYKF's Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre, when I wanted to start there was not another ground school term available for months so they pointed me towards Harv's Air. The courses are helpful and cover anything and everything that is required by TC. Im nearing the end of my training for my PPL and will definitely use Harv's Air again for my CPL. I believe brampton and waterloo share the same practice area occasionally so I hope to hear you up there sometime!

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

I've heard nothing but good things about Harv's.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

got ok from BFC to do harv's

Return to “Flight Training”