An Exasperated TL11B question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

An Exasperated TL11B question

Post by clairvoyant »

CARS 421.30.4 states that for CPL,
(a) An applicant for a commercial pilot licence — aeroplane shall
(amended 2006/12/14; previous version)
(i) have completed, subject to paragraph (b), a minimum of 200 hours flight time in aeroplanes, of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command time including 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command flight time
==================================================================================================================================================

Can you claim the "time building" for that 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command flight time for TL11B?
Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: An Exasperated TL11B question

Post by AuxBatOn »

Straight from the form:

Eligible tuition fees include the cost of dual and solo flying hours under direction or supervision that are required to obtain applicable licences or ratings and are an integral part of a course of study, up to the minimum flight training requirements of Transport Canada. Eligible tuition fees do not include costs or other fees incurred that relate to the use of an aircraft to get flying experience over and above the minimum hours required to obtain your rating or licence.

Whatever is listed on TC's website as requirements is good to go.

As long as your 20 hours as within the 200 hours, yes.

Going for the deck at corner
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

My school made it easy for me. They had a form they gave me with all the hours that were available to claim, with the costs already totaled up.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

More questions here.
In my circumstances, the CFI and the administrative lady are still away on holiday until next week and I haven't signed/paid the CPL paperworks (due to my day job hectic schedule), etc,. etc.
Off course during the winter months, I have to also consider the weather for cross country trips.
I am already "checked out" to rent the aircraft.
If I want to do the cross country flight tomorrow because the weather is nice, can I "claw back" on those 20 hours XC PIC (to the date of the CPL paperwork are signed)? Or is it somewhere along the line of "up to the flight school discretion"?
I also don't want to burn the bridge with the flight school I am dealing with right now. Thank You

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The Flight School has nothing to do with this, other than provide "supervision" for the flight training. You claim to CRA whatever you want, as long as it is within TC's minimum for the locense.

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JAHinYYC »

From paragraph four of the TL11B itself:

"Eligible tuition fees include the cost of dual and solo flying hours under direction or supervision that are required to obtain applicable licences or ratings and
are an integral part of a course of study, up to the minimum flight training requirements of Transport Canada. Eligible tuition fees do not include costs or
other fees incurred that relate to the use of an aircraft to get flying experience over and above the minimum hours required to obtain your rating or licence."

When I did this little dance twenty-five years ago and was audited by CRA, they allowed for the flight training time in my PTR (which I had to provide a copy of) for the PPL and CPL.

Time building to get to the 200hrs TT for the CPL sign off was disallowed.

This was based on a ruling from the Winnipeg Tax Center. Your mileage may vary.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

You solo time for x-country should be under supervision so that should not be an issue.

Return to “Flight Training”