Rec Vs PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ChrisB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rec Vs PPL

Post by ChrisB »

Hello Everybody,

I'm considering getting my rec this summer. I'm solo in gliders and will be licensed once I turn 16 in July. I'd like to get a start with powered also this summer. If I get 25hrs for my rec do I only need 15 hrs to get my ppl (sense 5 hrs gliding count towards ppl)? Does it transfer over from rec to ppl? Is it worth starting this summer or better to focus on gliding untill I'm 17?

Blue Skies,
Chris
---------- ADS -----------

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Rec Vs PPL

Post by C-GKNT »

Chris,

Once suggestion would be to skip the Rec permit. Do the written/flight test to PPL standards. While 16 you can get a rec permit based on the PPL written/flight test and a PPL can be issued as soon as you turn 17.

Glenn

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

May be true or not but I was told the written rec test is same as ppl

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The exams have different titles and codes, but obviously a lot of common material.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Go for the ppl. It is the better choice if you want to keep training. I debated getting my rec but decided if I want to take friends or family flying I can't with a rec.

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

Chris

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63878
Its a few years old so the pricing will be off but the concepts still apply.
Bottom line - go for your PPL if you can manage.

Hope this helps

PAJ

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

photofly wrote:The exams have different titles and codes, but obviously a lot of common material.
I was under the impression that passing the PPL exam could be counted towards the knowledge requirement for your Rec Permit. Since exams are good for two years you could conceivably do everything towards your PPL but get your RPP along the way. It would give you a chance to take a passenger up while still working towards your Private but would add the cost of an extra flight test and processing fee.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That's correct. For the PPL exam you need the 40 hours groundschool done and the sign off to sit it. But the exam covers both PPL and PP-R requirements. The PP-R exam doesn't require groundschool.

I believe if you the PPL exam and get a PP-R inside the two year window then you don't need to sit it again to upgrade to a PPL even if more than two years have passed by then.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Agree with everyone else here: train for the PPL, not the REC. You can get your Aeroplane student pilot permit already (14). Do the PPL ground school (no expiry date), and write the PPAER (2 year expiry, so don't write it until you're 15 - not an issue in your case, also counts for the REC if you get impatient).

Do the PPL flight test (12 month expiry, so don't do this before you turn 16). You might even find a flight test examiner willing to write up TC paperwork for both a REC flight test and PPL flight test at the same time if you pass the PPL flight test. That way the PPL is ready to go when you turn 17, but you can send in for the REC in the interim if you're eager to get going.

All the details and requirements are here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 1-1086.htm . I don't see where you get to take the 5 hours glider credit for the REC permit, it seems only applicable to the PPL. So you're probably looking at minimum 25hr for REC, and 40hr for PPL. It is cumulative, so if you had your REC, you'd legally need only 15 more hours for the PPL, however you'd probably end up spending more time total, as you'd have to do two flight tests, and prep for the flight test twice if you don't target the PPL first.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Plan past the rec permit, and train toward the PPL, you'll be the better pilot for it, and it will open more opportunity up for you. Even the PPL is a minimum training level, which hopefully you'll eagerly expand upon...

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

nbinont wrote: You might even find a flight test examiner willing to write up TC paperwork for both a REC flight test and PPL flight test at the same time if you pass the PPL flight test.
All good but small correction. You are allowed to use the same test performed to PPL standards to apply for both an RPP and a PPL, once for each..

So the OP has to do one test and make sure it's PPL and after his/her 16th birthday. Use the PPL written and flight tests to apply for RPP, wait until 17th birthday, walk in to an AP's office and use same credentials to apply for PPL. All of this assuming the OP is willing...

Return to “Flight Training”