Buy block time to get PPL?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Buy block time to get PPL?

Post by geneticistx »

Hey,
things seem to keep changing in my adventure out west.

So, as I search for a way to expedite my PPL in Vancouver, my question is:

Can I buy block time on a 172 and bring in an instructor into that plane?
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Buy block time to get PPL?

Post by CpnCrunch »

No. You have to be an owner. See CAR 406.03 for details.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

If it is a private airplane and you are able to get yourself a named owner for a share on the airplane, that would work. Or else, the plane would have to belong to a blood relative IIRC.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Seems to me you could still do the solo portion of training on block time, no? You might have a hard time getting insured without a license, so be ready for the economy of it to be lost on that.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

lownslow wrote:Seems to me you could still do the solo portion of training on block time, no?
Sadly, no. Solo training is still training, you need to be under the direct supervision of an instructor, and follow the relevant rules. Aside from the fact that you'd never get it insured, TC would disallow the time if they checked, and probably have words with the instructor.

Re: blood relative comment above from someone. It has to be a family member who owns the airplane, your husband or wife will do fine. No need to share genetics.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Thanks for clarifying that PF!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

photofly wrote:
lownslow wrote:Seems to me you could still do the solo portion of training on block time, no?
Sadly, no. Solo training is still training, you need to be under the direct supervision of an instructor, and follow the relevant rules. Aside from the fact that you'd never get it insured, TC would disallow the time if they checked, and probably have words with the instructor.
Fair enough. I had always thought the intent of the rule was to prevent the instructing equivalent of chisel charters but I guess that extends to solo too.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I believe the intent of the rule is to force everyone to learn at an FTU. The exemption for owners and their families was basically a sop, permitted on the basis that almost nobody would be able to take advantage of it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Kevindiose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Buy block time to get PPL

Post by Kevindiose »

Can you do the private course and sit each exam separately ? how much ??

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

ARe you required to be an owner or partial owner of a plane when getting instruction for a multi engine rating?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Oldguystrtn2fly wrote:ARe you required to be an owner or partial owner of a plane when getting instruction for a multi engine rating?
No. For everything other than your first licence or rating (PPL or PP-R) it suffices that the aircraft is provided "at arm's length" from the instructor. So it can be yours, or a friend's, or rented to you.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

If you can get yourself listed on the c of r as part owner, then insurance is not as much of an issue as some people think. When i added a non licensed student to my partnership the insurance went up maybe 50% from the low rate i pay by myself.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

photofly wrote:
Oldguystrtn2fly wrote:ARe you required to be an owner or partial owner of a plane when getting instruction for a multi engine rating?
No. For everything other than your first licence or rating (PPL or PP-R) it suffices that the aircraft is provided "at arm's length" from the instructor. So it can be yours, or a friend's, or rented to you.
Roger. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Flight Training”