Training YSE and Mountain Flying vs. Langley

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Training YSE and Mountain Flying vs. Langley

Post by geneticistx »

Thank you all for your input on the potential for my training to pick up at YSE after I relo to BC.

An interesting opportunity has come up where I can get access to a plane and train a ton of hours in Langley, or I can simply train up at YSE.

My goal, eventually, is to be able to fly in the mountains, like between calgary and vancouver, or just fun days up through the mountains.

I guess the questions are to compare the two options. I am looking to fly between 5-8 hours per week.

Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful.

M
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Training YSE and Mountain Flying vs. Langley

Post by CpnCrunch »

Just keep your options open, as you might find that the school you choose doesn't work for whatever reason (crappy customer service, poor scheduling, lack of knowledge, etc).

And to be honest the mountain flying courses aren't terribly useful. Certainly do one to get the knowledge, but unless you make some pretty bad decisions, you'l likely never use anything you learn on a mountain course. As long as you understand density altitude and pick good weather days (CAVOK and upper winds < 25kt), mountain flying is a non issue. Do read up on Sparky Imeson's mountain training, but FFS don't do what he did (which got him almost killed once, and actually killed when he repeated it the second time).

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

CpnCrunch wrote:Just keep your options open, as you might find that the school you choose doesn't work for whatever reason (crappy customer service, poor scheduling, lack of knowledge, etc).

And to be honest the mountain flying courses aren't terribly useful. Certainly do one to get the knowledge, but unless you make some pretty bad decisions, you'l likely never use anything you learn on a mountain course. As long as you understand density altitude and pick good weather days (CAVOK and upper winds < 25kt), mountain flying is a non issue. Do read up on Sparky Imeson's mountain training, but FFS don't do what he did (which got him almost killed once, and actually killed when he repeated it the second time).
Thx Cpn!
Good points.
I'll be out in Vancouver around Feb 15/16 for a few days and will pop in to both places...

M

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

There will be lots of opportunity for additional flight training. Concentrate on getting the basics in place first.

I learned to fly at Langley and did their mountain checkride when the time was right. Personally, I found it useful: up- and downdrafts in valleys, ridge crossings, passes, just where *is* the horizon anyway, which valley do I follow, what do I do if I got it wrong, and so on. A couple of years later I did the Finer Points of Mountain Flying down in California. We covered a lot of the same stuff, plus high density altitude takeoffs and landings. Our base was Truckee-Tahoe Airport KTRK, field elevation 5900 feet, density altitudes over 8000 feet in the afternoon...

...laura

Return to “Flight Training”