EASA license conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

a313
Rank 1
Rank 1

EASA license conversion

Post by a313 »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by a313 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
a313
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: EASA license conversion

Post by a313 »

Last edited by a313 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Not many European pilots who can answer that question post on a Canadian forum; a European flying forum would probably help more. Try euroga.org or pprune.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Well, I can help you with this:
1. Open Google
2. Type in "Converting ICAO license to EASA"
3. Scroll through the links
4. Click on the sites that seem relevant
5. Read the content
6. Make an informed decision

Das ist mir wurst...
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Any update on what you did. I would like to get my European license strictly for rentals.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

It's a pretty big process, I'm getting closer to completing it myself. For an ATPL conversion you'll need to write all 14 theory exams, do an initial Cat 1 medical, and a LST (practical skills) test. Also an English proficiency test and Radio Telephony exam. Technically you could do it through any EASA member state, but the license will be issued by the state that issues your medical. I'm doing mine through the UK CAA, and man it isn't cheap. 69£ per exam, about 600£ for the medical, another couple thousand for the sim, 400£ licensing fee, 45£ fee to verify your Canadian license..it just goes on and on.

And it assumes you can obtain a waiver to not attend a groundschool with an Approved Training Organization (ATO) and just apply directly to write the exams, which is what I did. If not, you'll need to take one of their integrated theory groundschools for another few thousand £. Exams can only be written at their exam centres in the UK, plus a few around the world. I've mostly written mine in London but a few at the Malaysian exam centre as well. Initial Class 1 medicals are hard to get appointments for and booked a couple of months in advance - only in the UK. Add in various items like subscriptions to the exam question databases, charts, approved calculator/computer and so on, travel expenses and you're looking at 5 figures CAD easily.

If all you want to do is rent I believe you can do a foreign license validation for much, much less.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Complex, What kind of timeframe does it take from start to finish?

I am very interested in the conversion for a career and would be curious about the specifics with the sim rental and the extra bits that need to be done. A PM would be great if you prefer.

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

check out MenoturPilot on youtube he did a video regarding license conversion recently

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I just got back from a trip and my shiny new UK CAA ATPL has arrived in a Fedex package. Took about nine months to complete once I started writing exams, making multiple trips to the UK and Malaysia. I kept detailed records of the costs and all-in spent about $10,300 CAD on the license, plus significant travel expenses. Bear in mind that if you don't have the experience to waive the groundschool at an ATO that is a hefty cost as well.

Incidentally, the UK CAA took 8 working days to process my ATPL application once submitted. What is Transport Canada's stated standard - 90 days or something? :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
willfly4food
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfly4food »

Why is Canada one of the only countries giving away ATPL conversions like they are samples at Costco?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

willfly4food wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:44 am Why is Canada one of the only countries giving away ATPL conversions like they are samples at Costco?
Because they need 200 hr wonders to fly for Swoop...

Das ist mir wurst...

Return to “Flight Training”